FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA 757 "75L" with R/C - B/E Diamond Business seat (master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1785817-aa-757-75l-r-c-b-e-diamond-business-seat-master-thread.html)

JDiver Jun 1, 2007 3:24 pm

AA 757 "75L" with R/C - B/E Diamond Business seat (master thread)

4 Attachment(s)
American Airlines Boeing 757-200 “75L” Business Class seats. (CMK10)

American Airlines Boeing 757-200 “75L” Business Class tablet holder and power outlet. (CMK10)

American Airlines A321T Business Class Diamond seat made into bed, illustrative ourposes only. (Australian Business Traveller)

American Airlines Boeing 757-200 “75L” Main Cabin. (CMK10)

Photos courtesy of CMK10 (post # 123)

sagechan Aug 17, 2016 10:47 pm

AA 757 "75L" with B/E Diamond Business seat (as of 9/16) (master thd)

The wonderful American fleet site is showing the first aircraft with the B/E seats is N183AN, that's according to flight aware has been in TUL since the 5th.

Microwave Aug 18, 2016 1:02 am

Originally Posted by sagechan (Post 27081354)
The wonderful American fleet site is showing the first aircraft with the B/E seats is N183AN, that's according to flight aware has been in TUL since the 5th.

All fingers and toes crossed... would love to see something decent on the 757 sooner rather than later.

N1120A Aug 18, 2016 1:34 am

The Thompson Vantage solution seems so elegant. Too bad they seem to be going B/E.

Microwave Aug 18, 2016 2:20 am

I think getting 16 Vantage seats between 1L and 2L on a 757 would result in a very tight squeeze for the seats. From what I understand, the B/E seats offer a more comfortable layout with 16.

N1120A Aug 18, 2016 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 27081775)
I think getting 16 Vantage seats between 1L and 2L on a 757 would result in a very tight squeeze for the seats. From what I understand, the B/E seats offer a more comfortable layout with 16.

I don't really see how. The Vantage seats fit a similar profile, but allow for the single "throne" seats.

Microwave Aug 18, 2016 6:56 am

Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 27081968)
I don't really see how. The Vantage seats fit a similar profile, but allow for the single "throne" seats.

The "throne" seats have a gap between the row behind and the row in front, to allow entry into the throne. This increases the distance between the non-throne rows by the width of the entry gap to the throne seats. Vantage also has larger work surfaces in the throne seats, and that space has to come from somewhere. The B/E seats have no gap, and less work surface area, so square-footage wise 16 of those can be crammed into that space easier than 16 Vantage seats, and will be wider than the Vantage seats would be.

For some real world examples. On the "domestic" LUS 757, there are 4 rows of F with a nominal 38" pitch, 3 rows of economy with a nominal 32" pitch, plus a lav behind the seats (with a row of seats opposite the lav) and a galley occupying the front starboard area where part of row 1 would be. In that same space, United have 4 rows of B/E seats, with the same lav. Now looking at the LUS A321, there are 4 rows of F with a nominal 38" pitch, 4 rows of economy with a nominal 32" pitch, and closets at the front of the cabin. This space between 1L and 2L on the A321 is larger than the same space on the 757 (both in width and in length), and in that same space B6's Mint-equipped A321 has 16 Vantage seats, a lav and an onboard "marketplace". To squeeze those same seats onto the 757, either the seats or the aisle would need to be narrower, and at a minimum the aft lav and closets would have to go, and even in that configuration it would be a tighter squeeze than B6 Mint. Thompson do say that Vantage can fit 16 in the 757, but it would necessarily be tight, whereas 16 B/E seats don't feel tight on the 757 and still leave room for the aft lav.

Longboater Aug 18, 2016 8:18 am

Also keep in mind certification issues since AA is using the same seat as the A321T. Introducing a whole new seat in the Thompson Vantage would just add more to inconsistency. If you look at the DL forum, the B/E Diamond seats on the 757 get pretty good reviews. These planes aren't flying anything longer than eight hours if that.

Microwave Aug 18, 2016 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 27082857)
Also keep in mind certification issues since AA is using the same seat as the A321T. Introducing a whole new seat in the Thompson Vantage would just add more to inconsistency. If you look at the DL forum, the B/E Diamond seats on the 757 get pretty good reviews. These planes aren't flying anything longer than eight hours if that.

Agree that B/E seats work very well on the 757, though AA also fly the Vantage seats on the 763s, though the exact seats are different as Vantage is just a model of seat and the exact seats delivered are specific to each aircraft type.

Longboater Aug 18, 2016 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 27082964)
Agree that B/E seats work very well on the 757, though AA also fly the Vantage seats on the 763s, though the exact seats are different as Vantage is just a model of seat and the exact seats delivered are specific to each aircraft type.

I should have specified the Vantage seat designed for the 767 and the 757 is slightly different, with the 757 Vantage seat being about an inch wider. The B/E Diamond seat for narrowbodies was designed for both the 757 and A321 due to commonality.

morrisunc Aug 18, 2016 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 27082857)

I'm sorry but i'm confused - what seat exactly is being installed? The same seat as trancon business class?

JonNYC Aug 18, 2016 10:59 am

Originally Posted by morrisunc (Post 27083329)
I'm sorry but i'm confused - what seat exactly is being installed? The same seat as trancon business class?

Yes, that's the seat being discussed here-- B/E "Diamond" seat (not to be confused with B/E "Super Diamond" seat going info widebodies.)

JonNYC Aug 19, 2016 11:38 am

As reported, aircraft 5ET is still in TUL and its last flight was an hour flight around the area on the 5th. So, have to assume that that's what's happening to it (being converted as the first new 75L.)

Longboater Aug 19, 2016 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 27089212)
As reported, aircraft 5ET is still in TUL and its last flight was an hour flight around the area on the 5th. So, have to assume that that's what's happening to it (being converted as the first new 75L.)

75L Confirmed

I guess it'll be finished sometime in the fall. Interesting the plane was previously a domestic 757.

JonNYC Aug 19, 2016 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 27090806)
75L Confirmed

I guess it'll be finished sometime in the fall. Interesting the plane was previously a domestic 757.

For that plane in particular, I can't off-hand think of any reason it would take till the fall to complete it. Here's it being operated on:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJTNdU0DXQs/