Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
American Begins LAX - AKL / Auckland, New Zealand 788 Flights 23 June 2016

No flights 5 August 2017 and 5 October 2017 Refer to post 230 link.
American’s Los Angeles to Auckland flight will be suspended from August to October, and will then be upgraded from a 787-8 to a 787-9
LAX-AKL
Departs LAX at 10:45 p.m.
Arrives at AKL at 6:35 a.m., two days later

AKL-LAX
Departs AKL at 1:20 p.m.
Arrives at LAX at 6:20 a.m., same day

Enhanced service includes mattress pads, pajamas and new meals items in Business Class.

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
If tonight's sampling at the launch event was an accurate preview, then here's the menu they provided for LAX-AKL:

Canape:
Salmon Caviar Tartlet

Main Plates:
Grilled Beef Filet, balsamic butter, twice baked potato, baby squash
Eggplant Lasagne, pomodoro sauce
Pesto Grilled Shrimp

Dessert:
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream (Cherry Garcia, Chocolate Brownie, Strawberry Cheesecake)

Mid-Flight Snack:
Angus Beef Slider

White Wine:
Mt. Beautiful Sauvignon Blanc, North Canterbury, NZ

Red Wine:
Opawa Pinot Noir, Marlborough, NZ

Nov. 10, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines will add new nonstop service between its trans-Pacific gateway hub at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Auckland Airport (AKL) in June 2016, pending regulatory approvals. The route to Auckland provides American's customers direct access to a new destination and further strengthens the airline's joint business with Qantas Airways. American has added six new trans-Pacific routes over the last three years, nearly doubling its presence in the region...

...American plans to operate its new daily service between LAX and AKL with the newest addition to its fleet, the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. The Dreamliner features a state-of-the-art onboard travel experience including international Wi-Fi, as well as higher humidity and pressurization closer to sea level conditions, leaving customers more refreshed after their flight. Every seat has a touchscreen monitor equipped with up to 260 movies, 240 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 350 albums and 20 games, along with universal AC power outlets and a USB connection. The aircraft is configured with 28 fully lie-flat Business Class seats, each with direct-aisle access. There are an additional 55 Main Cabin Extra seats with extra legroom, and 143 Main Cabin seats. Link
Link to Star-Telegram article.

Link to Australian Business Traveller article.
Print Wikipost

AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:45 am

I know this is not what you asked, but thought I'd post anyway - if you're just looking for a ski holiday in 2016 I'd head to Europe instead or Japan or Whistler ahead of NZ. Definitely cheaper if you're looking to fly J. My experience in Queenstown was not stellar, although the weather/conditions weren't very good and that was 10 years ago, so maybe it's changed. At least when I was there, it was a shuttle to all the resorts with no on-mountain accomodation - ski areas weren't that big compared to Europe and North America and neither was the infrastructure. Queenstown is a great city though and lots to do outside of skiing, it's just a long way to go for mediocre skiing IMO.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Interesting that the announcement excerpt includes SYD-AKL - which I will assume will be flown by QF. (Oh that it would be a tag by AA ).
You know, an AA tag AKL-SYD, MEL, or BNE isn't completely crazy. Unlike UA's defunct SYD-MEL tag, they could sell seats to local traffic in cooperation with QF (since it's international). NZ's LAX-AKL flights arrive at 0555, 0700, and 0745 (on a random day later this month), and the AKL-LAX departures are at 1600, 1930, and 2255, all of them arriving in LAX in time for plenty of connections. The timing really doesn't look like it works out for a minimal turn-the-plane-around sit on the ground, unlike possible at SYD. So there's definitely time for a tag while the 787 (I assume) otherwise sits on the ground. But I wouldn't expect it.

SYD-AKL has tags flown by LAN, EK, and China Airlines in addition to VA, NZ, QF, and JQ, though.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
Originally Posted by ashill
You know, an AA tag AKL-SYD, MEL, or BNE isn't completely crazy. Unlike UA's defunct SYD-MEL tag, they could sell seats to local traffic in cooperation with QF (since it's international). NZ's LAX-AKL flights arrive at 0555, 0700, and 0745 (on a random day later this month), and the AKL-LAX departures are at 1600, 1930, and 2255, all of them arriving in LAX in time for plenty of connections. The timing really doesn't look like it works out for a minimal turn-the-plane-around sit on the ground, unlike possible at SYD. So there's definitely time for a tag while the 787 (I assume) otherwise sits on the ground. But I wouldn't expect it.

SYD-AKL has tags flown by LAN, EK, and China Airlines in addition to VA, NZ, QF, and JQ, though.
A tag-on would seem unlikely. Most likely timings i would assume a late evening LAX departure, early morning AKL arrival, then early to mid afternoon AKL departure, morning LAX arrival. Departure time from AKL will depend on whether they want to connect SYD/MEL/BNE to it. Any earlier than approx 2:30pm and it will miss all of the Aus connections.

Maybe something like this in Northern Summer?
LAX 2200 AKL 0600
AKL 1430 LAX 0745

Any guesses as to the frequency?

Originally Posted by AussieInSeattle
I'd head to Europe instead or Japan or Whistler ahead of NZ. Definitely cheaper if you're looking to fly J. My experience in Queenstown was not stellar, although the weather/conditions weren't very good and that was 10 years ago, so maybe it's changed.
Cant ski in Europe, Japan, Whistler etc in August though. And as you have alluded to, Queenstown has drastically changed in the last 10 years

Last edited by pepsi1336; Nov 10, 2015 at 10:21 am
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by pepsi1336
A tag-on would seem unlikely. Most likely timings i would assume a late evening LAX departure, early morning AKL arrival, then early to mid afternoon AKL departure, morning LAX arrival. Departure time from AKL will depend on whether they want to connect SYD/MEL/BNE to it. Any earlier than approx 2:30pm and it will miss all of the Aus connections.

Maybe something like this in NS?
LAX 2200 AKL 0600
AKL 1430 LAX 0745
Well, the NZ November schedule for the flights closest to your LAX departure/arrival times is
LAX 2145 AKL 0745
AKL 1600 LAX 0715
I assume that AA won't make LAX-AKL 2 hours shorter than NZ and AKL-LAX 2 hours longer. Of course, timings adjust in northern summer.

As I say, even these times would allow 8 hours for a tag leg, and particularly the AKL-LAX flight could be later (say 1900-1015). The outbound could be pushed 2-3 hours later and the return 1 hour earlier, but that still leaves 5 hours on the ground. Certainly not long enough that it demands a tag leg if feasible, but on the long side.

But I agree it's unlikely.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:56 pm
Suspended

From LAX:

Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:00 pm

JonNYC - do you know if any of the announcements are being live streamed anywhere?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Have you looked at an AA Vacation Package? You can do one in business class for $6800 next August and it includes a hotel for a week. Their European vacation packages in business and first class are an amazing deal too ! Round Trip to Vienna in Business class and 5 nights at the Ritz Carlton for $4,000.....
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sagechan
JonNYC - do you know if any of the announcements are being live streamed anywhere?
Can't say that I do-- hopefully someone else might?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The airline (AA) plans to use a Boeing 787 Dreamliner on the route which has 28 lie-flat business class seats, 55 main cabin extra seats and 143 main cabin seats.

Starting in June, the flight will leave Los Angeles at 10:45 p.m. and arrive in Auckland at 6:35 a.m., two days later. The return flights departs Auckland at 1:20 p.m. and arrives at LAX at 6:30 a.m.
Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/bu...#storylink=cpy
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Here you go: daily LAX AKL from June 2016. Still need approval.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
In addition to above, here's the press release:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/american-air...s-and-auckland

ETA: Strangely, no flight numbers assigned in the press release
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
Have you looked at an AA Vacation Package? You can do one in business class for $6800 next August and it includes a hotel for a week. Their European vacation packages in business and first class are an amazing deal too ! Round Trip to Vienna in Business class and 5 nights at the Ritz Carlton for $4,000.....
Seriously there are great deals via AAV in paid premium cabins at very nice hotels.....I have taken advantage of this many times.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:30 pm
Suspended

One hell of an addition ^
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Great news!

Schedule for the new flights:

LAX 22:45 - 06:35+2 AKL D 788
AKL 13:20 - 06:30 LAX D 788

Last edited by nov11; Nov 10, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by jawnbc
Here you go: daily LAX AKL from June 2016. Still need approval.
Awesome!!! Can't wait to go to AKL. How excited I am. Congrats to American Airlines. Best of luck to all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.