Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashkale
Many Thanks- this is what seems to be happening!

My Bad with the $45 and $125, when converting from MYR but the difference of US$ 80 is correct and explained as UL YQ being wrongly added! Thanks again!
So was AAgent able to get you the correct pricing on the flights you need?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Quick question.

If I want to fly PER-YVR, the only way to get the 82,500 mile one way award is to fly PER-SYD-YVR or PER-SYD-any stop in SFO/LAX-YVR?

Even flying PER-HKG-YVR is going to invoke the 3rd region connection rule?

Thanks!

Last edited by indo79; Apr 8, 2017 at 11:08 am Reason: Clarification
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indo79
Quick question.

If I want to fly PER-YVR, the only way to get the 82,500 mile one way award is to fly PER-SYD-xxx-YVR?

Even flying PER-HKG-YVR is going to invoke the 3rd region connection rule?

Thanks!
For it to remain as single award you cannot transit 3rd region between South Pacific and North America. Canada is now on different miles level so dont know how AA treats it as a separate region or still within the North America. I would think the latter.

HKG obviously is in Asia2 region. There is no exception on the South Pacific / North America route. So yes, 2 awards.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Happy
For it to remain as single award you cannot transit 3rd region between South Pacific and North America. Canada is now on different miles level so dont know how AA treats it as a separate region or still within the North America. I would think the latter.

HKG obviously is in Asia2 region. There is no exception on the South Pacific / North America route. So yes, 2 awards.
Ah ok thanks! Doubt SYD-YVR on QF will ever open up
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indo79
Ah ok thanks! Doubt SYD-YVR on QF will ever open up
You could fly to US then to YVR.

Both QF and AA can be used to go from Australia to US, then on AA or AS to YVR.

You are not limited to SYD - any gateway city QF flies can be used. So BNE, MEL, just as good as SYD.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You could fly to US then to YVR.

Both QF and AA can be used to go from Australia to US, then on AA or AS to YVR.

You are not limited to SYD - any gateway city QF flies can be used. So BNE, MEL, just as good as SYD.
understood but nothing available on any of those routes tpac on the dates I want. Alternatively I could always book SIN-HKG-YVR or SIN-NRT-YVR at 72,500 ow and buy a cheap JQ from PER to SIN.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: DL,EK
Stopover in Qatar

I am trying to book an award ticket one way LHE-DOH-GVA. Is there any way to get a 2-3 day stopover in Qatar, or do I need to book two awards?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
Stopovers are max 24 hrs.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:45 am
Community Director Emerita

If you book the flights separately, check to see whether it makes sense to book both segments using AA miles or whether BA Avios can give you a better redemption. I booked DOH-EVN in biz. It would have been 35K using AA miles. I believe it was 6K with Avios, still in biz.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
If you book the flights separately, check to see whether it makes sense to book both segments using AA miles or whether BA Avios can give you a better redemption. I booked DOH-EVN in biz. It would have been 35K using AA miles. I believe it was 6K with Avios, still in biz.
I have only AA and DL miles. It might be better to just buy the Lahore-Doha flight as it is about $280.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I'm trying to book a one-way flight from ARN to ORD. I can see there has been business award space released via the BA website (through HEL via Finnair) but two AA agents I called could only see business availability between the ARN-HEL leg.

Do I keep trying or just give up? I'm not really sure what other resources I should be using as the AA website shows absolutely nothing for the date I want to travel on.
Old May 12, 2017, 3:12 pm

Question about booking an Africa-South Pacific award. Basically, is it possible to originate anywhere besides JNB for 42.5/80/100k miles?

As far as I can tell, the only direct flight is the QF JNB-SYD route, and no OW or partner carriers fly within Africa. So, if I wanted to originate in, say, NBO, I'd have to connect in either the Middle East or Asia 2. Since Africa-Pacific isn't listed as an exemption to AA's "no third region" rule, I assume this would require two redemptions.

Are there other options?
Old May 12, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
Question about booking an Africa-South Pacific award. Basically, is it possible to originate anywhere besides JNB for 42.5/80/100k miles?

As far as I can tell, the only direct flight is the QF JNB-SYD route, and no OW or partner carriers fly within Africa. So, if I wanted to originate in, say, NBO, I'd have to connect in either the Middle East or Asia 2. Since Africa-Pacific isn't listed as an exemption to AA's "no third region" rule, I assume this would require two redemptions.

Are there other options?
BA's Comair affiliate flies to JNB from
Harare, Livingstone, Mauritius, Victoria Falls, Windhoek-Hosea Kutako
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Award routing question: DUS-YVR

I have found award space AB DUS-JFK linking up to CX JFK-YVR in biz. There are many AB fares files in biz on this route, but they are routing based not MPM and the routing specifies AA/US/AB for JFK-YVR segment. Any thoughts on wherher i will get an agent to ticket with CX coded flight on that second segment?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by stephem
I have found award space AB DUS-JFK linking up to CX JFK-YVR in biz. There are many AB fares files in biz on this route, but they are routing based not MPM and the routing specifies AA/US/AB for JFK-YVR segment. Any thoughts on wherher i will get an agent to ticket with CX coded flight on that second segment?
Not a chance, unless (see rules summaries in the Wikipost above) the prevailing carrier offers an unconstructed itinerary for sale: you need that to be able to secure an award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.