Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Reserve / Select Meal Entree / Main Course via website (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Effective 12 Oct 2014, meal selection is available from 30 days to 24 hours before flight (This meal selection was suspended temporarily 12 Sep - 10 Dec 2015.)

Special meal (Asian vegetarian, Kosher, Muslim, Low sodium, etc.) requests may be requested where offered. See this post for the list of available special meals.

[
Reserve your entrée before you fly

Flying in First or Business Class? We’re the first U.S. airline to offer you the choice to reserve your entrée on American Airlines flights with scheduled meal service. To enjoy this personalized service, simply reserve your meal at least 24 hours before departure.
  • Available for customers traveling on American Airlines in First or Business class, on the majority of flights that are scheduled to offer a meal.
  • You can reserve your meal beginning 30 days (and up to 24 hours) before you depart

• If you change your flight, reservation is required again

• Meals may not be available at times as there is a limit on numbers.

Information About Entrée (Main Course) Reservations:
  • Entrée reservations are available in First and Business class on American Airlines marketed and operated flights
  • We can begin accepting reservations 30 days prior to travel and all orders must be completed at least 24 hours before departure
  • If your original itinerary changes, please reselect your entrée preference
  • We will do our best to accommodate your request, but there may be instances that prevent us from fulfilling your selection

Problems? Try a DM using Twitter or call.

Also see

Note: the old order in which meal preferences are taken by Flight Attendants ("FEBO") ended on 1 Sep 2014. See "FEBO dead 1 Sep 2014 - new system based on flight direction & time zone change".

Thanks to wiki "plank holder" hillrider.
Print Wikipost

Reserve / Select Meal Entree / Main Course via website (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1kBill
Still can't get the DFW-FRA flights to allow me to choose from the menu. Then I read that this option is available only for AA marketed and operated flights, so I'm guessing I'm SOL.
Not SOL (unless the system is having issues): you just need to pull up the PNR for the AA-operated (but AB-sold) flight and you will be able to choose. When logged in, go to "My Trips", click on "Find a Reservation" and then use the "Don't know your Record Locator?" using the AA (operating) flight number for the DFW-FRA flight.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), Hyatt PLT, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hillrider
Not SOL (unless the system is having issues): you just need to pull up the PNR for the AA-operated (but AB-sold) flight and you will be able to choose. When logged in, go to "My Trips", click on "Find a Reservation" and then use the "Don't know your Record Locator?" using the AA (operating) flight number for the DFW-FRA flight.
Well good luck with that. I'm on DFW-FRA in 10 days time. AA sold, AA operated and when I go to choose my meal I get:
"We are unable to retrieve your selection at this time.
Please try again later."
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
This is a "ridiculous" response. Pre-Ordering is a service supposedly being offered by AA. It needs to work all the time, not just sporadically. Choosing FEBO is not always an option within 30 days of departure nor should it be a solution. F passengers should sit where they want and be able to pre-order what they want.

Obviously AA web staff are oblivious to both the offered service and to how to solve the problem. Everyone should send an e-mail to AA Consumer Relations and demand that someone responsible for the program needs to fix it - NOW.
As frustrating as this is, there are much bigger issues the web staff need to focus on right now, I think anyway-just take a stroll thru the 'AA.com down...' thread to see what people have been struggling with since last fall. And remember, up until a very short time ago, FEBO was the law of the land for meals & even today, pre-order doesn't mean it will be recognized by the FA on board.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by greg0ire
It's been answered a ridiculous amount of times...just choose a seat with FEBO in mind.
Snarkiness aside, thanks for the reply. I'm a newly-minted EXP and I don't have any familiarity with the AA ways. FWIW, I did send a message to Customer Relations this morning; I'll be happy to post their response.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Originally Posted by mdobbins
Snarkiness aside, thanks for the reply. I'm a newly-minted EXP and I don't have any familiarity with the AA ways. FWIW, I did send a message to Customer Relations this morning; I'll be happy to post their response.
It wasn't meant to be snarky..it's been answered many times. Had I been snarky, I would have just responded with the often seen "scroll through the thread and find it yourself."

Anyway, it's true. Use FEBO as a backup.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by greg0ire
It wasn't meant to be snarky..it's been answered many times. Had I been snarky, I would have just responded with the often seen "scroll through the thread and find it yourself."

Anyway, it's true. Use FEBO as a backup.
As someone who is "new to AA" (a very small handful of flights over a lifetime, with now several transcon and longhaul booked this year), FEBO doesn't always work and it isn't a great "welcome" to the product. For example, on a flight booked over 2 months out, there was 1 aisle seat available, and that was in Row 1. No biggie, I thought. I possibly might have considered a window seat if I thought that the meal selection wouldn't be available. When it wasn't (at 30 days), the F cabin is full.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by g1ant
Well good luck with that. I'm on DFW-FRA in 10 days time. AA sold, AA operated and when I go to choose my meal I get:
"We are unable to retrieve your selection at this time.
Please try again later."
So it looks like there is a data issue that affects that specific flight (could be as silly as a fat finger typo).

Have you (and others) who are affected contacted AA web services to tell them of the issue and that it is a localized one? You add a few links to relevant posts in this thread.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), Hyatt PLT, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
So it looks like there is a data issue that affects that specific flight (could be as silly as a fat finger typo).

Have you (and others) who are affected contacted AA web services to tell them of the issue and that it is a localized one? You add a few links to relevant posts in this thread.
Choices are back on the website this morning.

Boursin Crusted Beef Fillet
Grilled tenderloin of beef with a Boursin crust presented with asparagus, balsamic grilled tomatoes and whipped potatoes

Red Thai Curry Chicken
Breast of chicken simmered in a creamy red Thai curry and coconut milk broth, accompanied by jasmine rice

Potato Chip Crusted Halibut
Served with thyme red pepper sauce, parsley caper cream sauce, pan-roasted paprika potatoes, haricots verts with shallots and vegetable medley

Brie and Leek Ravioli Pasta
With San Marzano tomato sauce and vegetable medley

I've picked the beef. I love halibut but I can't imagine why it needs a red pepper sauce.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!

They have and from recent reports, web support had no clue and was giving incorrect responses.

Originally Posted by g1ant
Choices are back on the website this morning.
Not for me
Old Mar 11, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Not for me
Me either - still only seeing choice for my outbound. I have an interesting test where I have another flight in a couple of weeks which is economy on the outbound, waiting upgrade, and paid F on the inbound. I can see the choice for the inbound right now and have selected, we'll see if it disappears if I clear the upgrade on the first leg. Something's definitely funky.

The "We are unable to retrieve your selection at this time. Please try again later." message is a state error which can happen to the meal selection window after you have made some other change to the rez, like changed a seat selection. Usually exiting the reservation and reloading it clears this and I can then make a meal selection provided I do not again make another change first. This is a different problem: I can load the meal selection window fine, have two F legs booked, but can only see and select for the first one.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
This is frustrating; my JFK-LAX F trip is showing meal selection for return only.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
It seems that this is affecting many, if not all, flights after March 31. I have heard the suggestion that this is due to the attempt to integrate AA/US meal planning, service, timing, and selection.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by vasantn
It seems that this is affecting many, if not all, flights after March 31. I have heard the suggestion that this is due to the attempt to integrate AA/US meal planning, service, timing, and selection.
So, they need to recognize and acknowledge the problem rather than deny it exists and FIX it. Like with so many companies, it's always "the system" to blame which usually means too many techs who are out of touch with the customers and too in touch with playing games, social media and texting instead of working.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by vasantn
It is affecting my flight before that date, so I'm not sure if it's related
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mdobbins
FWIW, I did send a message to Customer Relations this morning; I'll be happy to post their response.
Update. The response I received from Customer Relations said:
We are sorry you are having difficulty with our web site. In view of the situation you described, we've determined that personnel at AA.com Web Services can more effectively assist you. Please call them directly at:

USA & Canada: 6 a.m. - 2 a.m. CT 1-800-222-2377
United Kingdom: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. GMT M-F 0207 365 0777
Other Regions: 6 a.m. - 2 a.m. CT 1-918-832-1384 (Toll Call)

If you prefer, you can email Web Services via www.aa.com/webservices
Well, as I said upthread, I had called Web Services the day before and the person I talked to had not heard of this problem. This time, I sent them an email through the provided link. We'll see...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.