Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Booked LHR-AUH-LHR for December in Business Class for 60,000 miles R/T

Outbound is a daytime flight on the A380 and inbound is another daytime flight on the 777-300ER.

Not nearly as impressive an award booking as US-UAE but at least I get to try two Etihad aircraft in Business class before the devaluation
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mileometer

Not nearly as impressive an award booking as US-UAE but at least I get to try two Etihad aircraft in Business class before the devaluation
A lot more useful though if in the UK
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:31 am

Since the Australian AA centre was unable to change my CPH-DUS-AUH-SYD itinerary, they had to scrap the entire reservation and redo it as follows. After an hour on the phone, I got the following in about a week from now:

CPH-LHR BA J (2h 25m connection)
LHR-AUH EY F A380
- STOP - (2 days)
AUH-SYD EY F A380

Close in availability has been quite good. However, I didn't expect LHR-AUH to open at all seeing how they've had 5 or 6 empty seats and didn't release any space even on the day of departure.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I stumbled across 2 seats in F apartments AUH-JFK and came running to this thread when AA couldn't see it, nor could they see anything on 9W metal which has availability the entire month. Quickly called up the AU center, after reading about it here, and got the tickets issued.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by whimike
I stumbled across 2 seats in F apartments AUH-JFK and came running to this thread when AA couldn't see it, nor could they see anything on 9W metal which has availability the entire month. Quickly called up the AU center, after reading about it here, and got the tickets issued.
Curious what dates? I'm thinking of parking some AA miles into an AUHJFK reservation ahead of the devaluation, at the edge of the booking window come March. But I only see 9W F awards far out, and A380 F awards <24 hours. Was your apartment res for an imminent departure (i.e. I see 2 for tomorrow's AUHJFK, and today's departure (now flying) had 3 apartments this time yesterday).

Jamie
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Curious what dates? I'm thinking of parking some AA miles into an AUHJFK reservation ahead of the devaluation, at the edge of the booking window come March. But I only see 9W F awards far out, and A380 F awards &lt;24 hours. Was your apartment res for an imminent departure (i.e. I see 2 for tomorrow's AUHJFK, and today's departure (now flying) had 3 apartments this time yesterday).

Jamie
In October 2016.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by whimike
In October 2016.
You got lucky! Sep-Oct nothing AUHJFK on A380, just 9W.

But that's ok. I have 4 F reservations DXBJFK on EK (on 2 different flights), just thinking I might prefer Etihad. But not thrilled with the departure hour. Still, seems like a good place to park AA currency ahead of the devaluation, so I'll probably just grab 2 F seats on 9W and hope to move to the A380 inside of 24 hours before departure. If not, refund back to my account.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Successfully booked AMS-LHR-AUH-MLE in F on EY for two (AMS-LHR on BA). Placed on hold via the AUS call center, ticketed with domestic call center.

Last edited by txflyer77; Dec 2, 2015 at 2:59 pm
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Able to place on hold AUH-MEL for October 2016 for 2 in F.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by txflyer77
...Placed on hold via the AUS call center, ticketed with domestic call center.
Sounds like a great way to do it!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Diamond
How did any of you call the Australia number? Is it toll free or will I be charged if I call from my cell phone?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by maiglesi
How did any of you call the Australia number? Is it toll free or will I be charged if I call from my cell phone?
Yes, you will be charged for using your cell phone.
In order to avoid that, use a VOIP service like Skype.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by maiglesi
Use Skype. Took me 20 minutes when I spoke with them which cost all of five cents.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Today is not an easy day. After several calls I finally got AMM-AUH-SFO reissued.

I found some of the Australian agents are very incompetent. I asked one to add AMM-AUH segment to the already issued AUH-SFO ticket. She said, "sorry sir, I can't do that". "But I should be able to change tickets?" "Yes sir, you can change tickets. But we can't add flights to existing tickets. You have to book a separate reservation." Well...

Then I called the one in China, and to my surprise the agent is able to find award on an AMM-AUH flight even though the EY's site say no guest award open. I was happy to take that but fell into the argue whether the 150$ change fee should be waived for EXP. I asked him to consult others but after 50 mins I ran out of patience. I just hung up and call the exp desk to reissue. The first exp desk agent is incompetent and sounds very sleepy. So I had to call again to have the additional taxes paid and ticket reissued.

I am not that happy to spend so many time on such a simple ticket. But it is done.

Does anyone know what the fare class for the BusinessSaver and BusinessFreedom? I am guessing some agents can see these seats as well.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by zig2

Does anyone know what the fare class for the BusinessSaver and BusinessFreedom? I am guessing some agents can see these seats as well.
These are the paid fare buckets. They're NOT redemption seats, certainly NOT anything similar to anytime awards.
EY allows to exchange miles for cash -at a ridiculous rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.