Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jix
Do you have to go through DOH? RJ has wide availability AMM-AUH in Y/J in 2016 or were you only looking on EY flights?
He obviously only wants the EY F. Understandable.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
He obviously only wants the EY F. Understandable.
agreed. And zero comparison between EY F and RJ J.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:27 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
So regarding this Australia visibility - what do we have any idea about what is going on here? Do the Aussie staff have a different GDS vs the Sabre set in the US; do they have just 'basic' Sabre and need to do a long sell and are therefore finding what (perhaps) is otherwise blocked in the US overlay? ...and finally - do we think this approach might be repeatable for CX F availability - where Asiamiles and BA will often show 1 more seat available than AA have access to?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nyc6035
So regarding this Australia visibility - what do we have any idea about what is going on here? Do the Aussie staff have a different GDS vs the Sabre set in the US; do they have just 'basic' Sabre and need to do a long sell and are therefore finding what (perhaps) is otherwise blocked in the US overlay? ...and finally - do we think this approach might be repeatable for CX F availability - where Asiamiles and BA will often show 1 more seat available than AA have access to?
Good questions.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't think that they are needing to do a long sell, since ime , the AU agents can see the availability on flights
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: US Airways CP, UA 1K, DL Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat
I managed to call the Aus AA line and get CMB-AUH-JFK as a replacement for CMB-DOH-JFK (and a terrible layover). However they charged me $150/person change fee even though I am executive platinum. They said that it was because I am changing to Etihad. Anyone come across this before?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:07 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by pjs91015
I managed to call the Aus AA line and get CMB-AUH-JFK as a replacement for CMB-DOH-JFK (and a terrible layover). However they charged me $150/person change fee even though I am executive platinum. They said that it was because I am changing to Etihad. Anyone come across this before?
Isn't it technically just a cancellation of the award, redeposit of miles, then a new award issued? They should waive the redeposition fee for EXP per below, unless the miles on the award was not from the EXP account.

Changing flight award tickets
$150 per ticket
A charge may apply if you make changes to award tickets
AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from your account are exempt from the fee

Reinstating award tickets
$150 per account for the first award ticket. Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will be $25 per ticket
Miles may be reinstated to your account for an unused AAdvantage flight award if your ticket has not expired
AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from your account are exempt from the fee
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pjs91015
As an EXP, you should not have been charged, period. HUCA and get the charge reversed.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
As an EXP, you should not have been charged, period. HUCA and get the charge reversed.
Absolutely.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: US Airways CP, UA 1K, DL Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777
This is a difficult ticket, because it is a change to a dividend miles ticket that was bought in March. She has now told me she needs to talk to a "double agent" that covers both AA and DM tickets and could not get hold of anyone for 10 minutes so she told me she would call me back. The agent was very nice on the Australian desk but was obviously not an exec plat level agent. I will let you know if she charges me when she calls back.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jix
Isn't it technically just a cancellation of the award, redeposit of miles, then a new award issued? They should waive the redeposition fee for EXP per below, unless the miles on the award was not from the EXP account.

Changing flight award tickets
$150 per ticket
A charge may apply if you make changes to award tickets

Reinstating award tickets
$150 per account for the first award ticket. Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will be $25 per ticket
Miles may be reinstated to your account for an unused AAdvantage flight award if your ticket has not expired
If it is simply a change to an existing award, then it isn't a deposit of miles and issuance of a new award but a change to an existing award ( see https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...ard-travel.jsp )

Changes to the origin or destination or airline

◾For MileSAAver awards, origin or destination changes to the itinerary will incur a change fee of $150, even when retaining the same award type
◾For awards involving travel on other airlines, origin or destination changes or changes to the airline(s) in the itinerary will incur a change fee of $150, even when retaining the same award type

Changes that require a different award type

◾Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage awards than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement fee, and a new award ticket issued
◾The award reinstatement fee will be waived for Executive Platinum members using miles from their account

Interestingly there is no mention of a waiver of the change fee for EP members , so cancelling and starting again would seem to be the cheaper option
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jix
Do you have to go through DOH? RJ has wide availability AMM-AUH in Y/J in 2016 or were you only looking on EY flights?
I am looking at the new year period, RJ's availability is bad (actually everyone is bad). On Jan 2nd there is only one eco left for RJ, and it arrives 01:15 which doesn't make the MCT.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by nyc6035
I doubt POS matters. I have friends reporting seeing different availability of CX on BA when they change BA's address to China.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:40 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by zig2
I am looking at the new year period, RJ's availability is bad (actually everyone is bad). On Jan 2nd there is only one eco left for RJ, and it arrives 01:15 which doesn't make the MCT.
Is AMM-DXB/DWC a possibility then surface to AUH? Not sure they're co-terminals tho.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There is zero question about that rule and that it's as I say it is.

I am the original source of that unpublished information but it's now very widely known. Every single poster that's ever posted about it and every blogger (and for-pay award-booker, etc) that knows these unpublished rules, know of them because of me.

So, no doubt the rule exists.

Question in that thread was which of the various published F fares published on that route should apply (as there are MPM-based ones and routing-based ones, it appears?) That I cannot answer-- and if I can't answer that, no one here can.

So, you'll be somewhat at the mercy of calling again and if the same answer persists, "taking it or leaving it" in terms of what they say.
Thanks for the important info. Do you know when this started?
Recently I have a friend who tried to book PDX-LAX-NRT-PVG on AS+JL. And it was priced as two tickets. But I can do SFO-SEA-PDX-YVR-NRT without a problem.

He said he booked a similar ticket last year without a problem. I first thought it is a glitch introduced in merging with US. But now it seems to be a norm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.