Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

regardless of what you are seeing - EY LHR-AUH-Australia requres 2 awards
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
regardless of what you are seeing - EY LHR-AUH-Australia requres 2 awards
You can do LHR-SYD EY 12 to EY 454 as one J award, some combinations might fall foul of either EY's or AA's connection rules, but LHR-AUH-SYD can be valid, just as AA's website proves LHR-DXB-SYD is.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
You can do LHR-SYD EY 12 to EY 454 as one J award, some combinations might fall foul of either EY's or AA's connection rules, but LHR-AUH-SYD can be valid, just as AA's website proves LHR-DXB-SYD is.
EY to AU from UK is 2 awards
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:23 am

It's easy to claim such a thing without having the right information. There was never a time at which EU-AU can booked on EY through AA as a single award. It has always been EU-ME//ME-AU.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by edy4eva
There was never a time at which EU-AU can booked on EY through AA as a single award. It has always been EU-ME//ME-AU.
That's not true, though since everything is done through agents YMMV. As I demonstrated upthread aa.com disproves the claims on FT that you can't connect different QF flight numbers in DXB, you can also make single award connections in many cities including PVG.

Since an AUH connection has been allowed at least once, DXB and PVG connections are available online and DOH et al connections are frequently denied by agents... how sure are we that the AA routing rules that were pulled from the website last decade are still in force with numerous FT speculated exception changes?

The next person looking to book EY for Europe-South Pacific should look for through availability on EY (searching origin to destination on the EY site) and call the AA US desk if they find it. Ask the US desk to search the origin to destination for EY and assuming they see it try to book it. I'm betting there's a decent chance the US agent will price it as one award, provided it shows up as a single award on the EY website.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:52 am

That's not true, though since everything is done through agents YMMV. As I demonstrated upthread aa.com disproves the claims on FT that you can't connect different QF flight numbers in DXB, you can also make single award connections in many cities including PVG.

Since an AUH connection has been allowed at least once, DXB and PVG connections are available online and DOH et al connections are frequently denied by agents... how sure are we that the AA routing rules that were pulled from the website last decade are still in force with numerous FT speculated exception changes?

The next person looking to book EY for Europe-South Pacific should look for through availability on EY (searching origin to destination on the EY site) and call the AA US desk if they find it. Ask the US desk to search the origin to destination for EY and assuming they see it try to book it. I'm betting there's a decent chance the US agent will price it as one award, provided it shows up as a single award on the EY website.
This complete disregard to knowledge and experience shared on this forum is a bit sickening.

The QF anecdote is irrelevant. EU-Oceania/Asias/Africa/Americas via AUH on EY have always been 2 awards.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Looked up AUH-ORD on EY's page for 12/24, four awards available in J. Called AA in the US, and she said "oh yes, four seats available in J".

I really wanted to have to call Australia, because it's such a weird and FT-ish thing to do and a good story to bore people with at parties; but I can't justify it. Maybe I should do it anyway.
Thanks for data point. I took a look at AUH-ORD availability for J and it looks pretty decent.

It's y understanding that AA is only increasing award redemption by 2,500 miles to 70,000 one way after March 22. Is this correct?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:57 am

I'm betting there's a decent chance the US agent will price it as one award, provided it shows up as a single award on the EY website.
I've had LHR-AUH-SYD on EY all on one ticket. It's still 100k though.

Not sure why you can't accept that it's priced as 2 awards. Have you ever seen ANY report of it being done for 80k?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:06 am
Suspended

Please stop. You're 100% incorrect.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Please stop. You're 100% incorrect.
Just search aa.com for F LHR-SYD 12/29 and Etihad for J LHR-SYD 12/24.

AA is offering QF and PVG connections that fly in the face of the forum consensus routing rules. Etihad is offering its partners LHR-AUH-SYD single awards when that flight LHR-AUH is unavailable as a single segment. At least one agent allowed that pair of dependent flights to be ticketed as one 60k AA J award, but YMMV.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:01 am

Just search aa.com for F LHR-SYD 12/29 and Etihad for J LHR-SYD 12/24.

AA is offering QF and PVG connections that fly in the face of the forum consensus routing rules. Etihad is offering its partners LHR-AUH-SYD single awards when that flight LHR-AUH is unavailable as a single segment. At least one agent allowed that pair of dependent flights to be ticketed as one 60k AA J award, but YMMV.
You're comparing apples to pebbles. EY guest program is very different from AAdvantage. Availability may not only be dictated by POS but also by destination markets. Plus EY simply combines the cost of the individual sectors (that are distance based) whereas AA uses zones.

From experience, I find it hard to believe you got a misquoted award to be ticketed. Usually it bounces back right at ticketing.

As for BA-QF connections via Asias (JP/CN/SG/TH). This has been the case for the past so many years and is a permitted routing.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by edy4eva
From experience, I find it hard to believe you got a misquoted award to be ticketed. Usually it bounces back right at ticketing.
I agree, which is why I've been speculating it isn't a misquote, but rather a dependent set of flights LHR-AUH-SYD EY makes available as a pair, so AA can ticket them as a one award pair. But that is speculation.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:06 am

I agree, which is why I've been speculating it isn't a misquote, but rather a dependent set of flights LHR-AUH-SYD EY makes available as a pair, so AA can ticket them as a one award pair. But that is speculation.
It is irrelvent what EY charges its own members

For an AA award, exept for specific permitted exceptuons, travel between origin region and destination region has to be without transit of a 3rd region.

A transit at AUH on EY is not a listed exception

As such it is 2 awards - please stop asserting incorrect information

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 8, 2015 at 10:37 am
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Trying to book BOM-AUH-LAX. I'm being told this prices as two separate tickets. Isn't India and Middle East the same region? HUACA?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by exmike
Trying to book BOM-AUH-LAX. I'm being told this prices as two separate tickets. Isn't India and Middle East the same region? HUACA?
That would seem to be one award

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.