Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by enviroian
Correct I am not even considering coach--only saver business.
Okay, so this:

There are no saver awards anywhere on AA metal.
... has been gradually whittled down to "I can't find a Saver business award flight to Europe that I like." That I can believe, but "no saver awards anywhere on AA metal" is patently false. In fact, I just put such an award to Hong Kong (in J) on hold.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Donestic--got it. I wouldn't personally ever use award miles for donestic trips as it's not a good use of miles.
You seem to be missing the point that if you can't get an international airline that has redemption to fly from your home city, you need AA domestic flights on the same ticket to complete the itinerary.

So even people who only redeem for longhaul international flights may care a lot about domestic (connection) availability. And in recent years, scarcity of such domestic connection availability has been a big part of the complaint about using AA miles, especially from people who don't live in cities served directly by AA's partners with availability.

If you're able to put the domestic connection as an add-on to an international flight, it costs 0 extra miles, doesn't it? How is that not a good use of miles?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by rjw242
Okay, so this:

... has been gradually whittled down to "I can't find a Saver business award flight to Europe that I like." That I can believe, but "no saver awards anywhere on AA metal" is patently false. In fact, I just put such an award to Hong Kong (in J) on hold.
I challenge you to find any saver J seat to anywhere in Europe for 2017.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Perhaps this would be a somewhat more likely valid statement?

I challenge you to find any saver J AA seat to/from anywhere in Europe/SW Pacific for 2017 where a domestic saver direct flight connection to/from the gateway is also available.

Back in Nov/Dec I was able to find a few exPHL or exDFW on AA on some summer flights to secondary European airports and AY had some seats also available as direct or European connections.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:46 pm

I know saver J is in short supply but there are a few seats in the fall.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
not too bad, starting the search on JFK-LHR on October 1st I can see J sAAver on Oct 10th.

what do I win?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
I have no interest in traveling to Europe, so Saver availability to that continent is utterly irrelevant to me. If awards to Europe matter so much to you, and AA doesn't offer them, perhaps you should consider switching to a different airline.

Though I'll point out -- by your own admission -- you were in fact able to find Saver J seats to Europe. They just weren't up to your standards:

If spending 5 hours to find phx-3 connections-lhr on one random day 3 weeks after you want to travel isn't a ridiculous statement then okay your right.

Last edited by rjw242; Feb 12, 2017 at 1:26 am
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Smiley90
not too bad, starting the search on JFK-LHR on October 1st I can see J sAAver on Oct 10th.

what do I win?
One day for one route ...

Never mind.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Rather than only argue about premium cabin saver award availability, it might be worth comparing to other airline programs.

Third-party surveys conclude AA award availability trails other programs and those who've searched on AA and other programs would not dispute these conclusions.

Out of SFO, J awards are often two stops before the TATL segment. Why do they do this? It require more use of their planes so can it be cheaper to put people who redeem miles on at least one additional domestic flight?

Or it's just pure upsell, make the saver award such a miserable experience that people will pay higher prices for anytime awards which presumably have more sane routings -- I never checked them so I assume that's the case.

Last edited by wco81; Feb 12, 2017 at 2:47 am
Old Feb 12, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rjw242
You seem to have nicely dodged acknowledging that your initial assertion was complete BS.

Why so much melodrama from you? We live in a capitalistic, free market economy. If AA isn't meeting your needs why don't you use your EXP status to match and transition to the airline you believe will better meet your needs and deliver on your expectations? Have you considered that?

Regards
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:38 am

There are some folks, and I'm not accusing anyone here, that signed up for a bunch of Citi AA cards because the blogs promised FREE! travel and are frustrated that the reality did not match their expectations.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
How many of you have actually complained in writing to AA, as I have, about the very dramatic reduction of award seats (domestic & international) that has occurred over the past year? A few complaints won't mean anything, but enough will make them aware of discontent among many.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EP
Yeah. Allot of people burns by the credit card hawking "travel bloggers." Well now they know. Hopefully people will learn from other's mistakes. And that the blogger industry will fade.

Originally Posted by coffee18
There are some folks, and I'm not accusing anyone here, that signed up for a bunch of Citi AA cards because the blogs promised FREE! travel and are frustrated that the reality did not match their expectations.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I had a few EF alerts on LAX-MIA C tickets go off in the night, only to see them gone in the morning.

It's happened to me before. Anyone try and jump on those middle of the night EF alerts? Is it real availability?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beachfan
I had a few EF alerts on LAX-MIA C tickets go off in the night, only to see them gone in the morning.

It's happened to me before. Anyone try and jump on those middle of the night EF alerts? Is it real availability?
A lot of award availability apparently was loaded last night. I don't know if it was a mistake but most of it is gone this morning. I was checking on the AS site and booked something for next January, but I figured it was just things loaded at 330 days out. Some of the selections were phantom because I couldn't actually book them, but at least the one I eventually booked, was not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.