Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I don't think the idea was "aren't Anytime awards great!" on any way, the post you quote was was just a factual reply-- with all the appropriate caveats-- to:
True, but the term "free" used with Anytime awards is extremely questionable to me at those rates. Major opportunity cost in the loss of future travel at saver rates.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by glocklt4
I don't understand why people value "last-seat" availability at all. I've burned through over 6 million miles the past few years and have 5 million in the bank. NOT ONCE have I redeemed at "standard" or "last seat" rates. Buy that ticket (with cash or bank points). Don't waste 50-100k miles on a one-way domestic ticket. Save those miles for a future international flight. Learn to be more flexible with dates AND destinations.
I've redeemed off-peak AAnytime awards to LIM for 35K one-way. These were flights with Y < 7 around Christmas (where off-peak seemed to only consider the day of the week, not actual demand).
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by glocklt4
Save those miles for a future international flight. Learn to be more flexible with dates AND destinations.
When I first started business travel (in the pre-Flyertalk days), I would waste so many miles, and now I constantly say "If only I knew then what I do now."

I'd accumulate 12,000 miles and blow them right away. For example, the company would buy me a coach ticket from LAX-PHX, and I'd spend 12K miles on a free upgrade to first class. For a one-hour flight on a tiny plane.

Felt so prestigious at the time, but man do I wish I had those thousands of miles back!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I do tend to wonder that myself.
Maybe the lack of availability is a glitch like the upgrade windows and one day inventory will reappear. Maybe....
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1.5mm, *gold, AA - P, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by cheaptom
When I first started business travel (in the pre-Flyertalk days), I would waste so many miles, and now I constantly say "If only I knew then what I do now."

I'd accumulate 12,000 miles and blow them right away. For example, the company would buy me a coach ticket from LAX-PHX, and I'd spend 12K miles on a free upgrade to first class. For a one-hour flight on a tiny plane.

Felt so prestigious at the time, but man do I wish I had those thousands of miles back!
If it makes you feel any better, consider the fact you used your AA miles when they actually had some value. They are about worthless now.

I am still amazed to see the tales of woe in this thread, yet people still choose to fly AA. This hurts everyone else. I have abandoned AA, have told them why, and encourage more to do the same.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jeffw5555
I have abandoned AA, have told them why, and encourage more to do the same.
The main reason I haven't abandoned them is that their miles are the easiest to accumulate quickly, thanks to Citi allowing multiple bonuses. Yes, they are the hardest miles to use, but easiest to accumulate. What a balance!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom
The main reason I haven't abandoned them is that their miles are the easiest to accumulate quickly, thanks to Citi allowing multiple bonuses. Yes, they are the hardest miles to use, but easiest to accumulate. What a balance!
What's the point of accumulating miles if you can't use them?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:20 pm

Printing/selling miles, then making them expire worthless should be a wildly profitable scam. AA will eventually phase out airplanes as an unnecessary expense.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Printing/selling miles, then making them expire worthless should be a wildly profitable scam. AA will eventually phase out airplanes as an unnecessary expense.
It may not be as preposterous as you might think.
I believe that I read here on FF in the past that selling miles to Citi (in the pre-bankruptcy days) was more profitable for AA than selling revenue tickets.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by tth6133
What's the point of accumulating miles if you can't use them?
Exactly.
I have a Ten Billion Dinar note from former Yugoslavia - worth about the same as my AA miles
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by Jeffw5555
I am still amazed to see the tales of woe in this thread, yet people still choose to fly AA. This hurts everyone else. I have abandoned AA, have told them why, and encourage more to do the same.
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you don't live in DFW - while noting that I'm also in complete agreement.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you don't live in DFW - while noting that I'm also in complete agreement.
Agree on both counts. AA is the firms preferred airline and concur books accordingly.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Agree on both counts. AA is the firms preferred airline and concur books accordingly.
And for those living in/near a hub city, if I want to go nonstop, usually AA is the only option.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
If you live in DFW and fly domestically, you may want to give WN a shot.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA
I have around 300k miles on AA and am a 3 yr Platinum member. Tried to redeem miles for two tickets from SFO, SJC, or OAK to HNL or OGG in the end of June. Agent offered me economy tickets round trip for ... wait for it ... 180,000 miles EACH. I though it was a joke! I will not be maintaining status going forward.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.