Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Apple iPhone app - questions and issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA App for the Apple iPhone / iOS - Questions, Issues

The iPhone American Airlines app now (Sep 2014) requires iOS 8.0 to run properly. If you have an earlier iPhone you do not wish to update from iOS 7 or previous versions due to battery usage and reported slowness, the AA app now requires updating to iOS 8 to communicate and exchange data with AA.

The previous iPhone American Airlines App works with iOS 7.0 and was originally released September 2013; the newest version is 3.4.1 (for fixes for iPad crashes). Further information can be found in the iTunes store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/american-airlines/id382698565?mt=8

cubuffaloes2004 states:

"What's New in Version 3.3.0
- Now retrieve your mobile boarding pass for AA flights (for eligible cities) on itineraries with codeshare flights
- Ability to change your seat on US Airways flights
- Upon check in, see status of systemwide and 500-mile upgrade requests
- Mobile boarding pass redesign/enhancements
- Smarter search capabilities on Flight Status and Schedules
- Various other bug fixes"

Also displays the incoming flight.

The posts from 2011 and prior to then have been archived; you may find them here: Archive: AA iPhone app - questions and issues (2011 and prior)

Print Wikipost

AA Apple iPhone app - questions and issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Jace
why are you still using iOS 4.2.1? Upgrade to iOS 5.1
Because I have an iPhone 3G (not even 3GS) and there is no upgrade. I think I'll purchase an iPhone 5, but I have to pay full price, which is painful

Originally Posted by mrbrioni
I've updated my app and mine doesn't show any itineraries either...
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
I too cannot view any of my itineraries. I called the 1800 number on the support icon listed. I spent 20 minutes on hold to be told by AA web support that they don't have.....web support for this app?
After many attempts at getting support, I finally got through to someone who told me that there is a known bug where if you have any RTW itineraries, then the app won't show any itineraries.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 6:11 pm

Work-around to display itimeraries

I too cannot view any of my itineraries.
Originally Posted by anabolism
I finally got through to someone who told me that there is a known bug where if you have any RTW itineraries, then the app won't show any itineraries.
I discovered a work-around yesterday that so far seems to be successful, at least on two different devices that previously insisted "you have no flights on file"
  1. In the AA app, click the "More" tab on the bottom right
  2. Click the "AA.com" selection on the bottom
  3. Click "View Reservation"
  4. Log in as prompted
  5. Click one or more reservations to view (this step might not be needed)
  6. Click the "My Flights" tab on the bottom near the left to verify that the native app now shows your itineraries.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Just don't upgrade to iOS6 if you use Calendar with a corporate Exchange server!
6.01 is out which partly fixes this issue.

That said, is anyone able to view and change seats on the app? My phone has never displayed this information, it allows me to click the seat number and then it looks as if was going to take me elsewhere and then nada...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:57 pm

I can't view flights on AA website or app. Flight isn't for two 11 days so not overly concerned but just wondering is this normal?

I've five flights show up on my BA app for December already!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:50 pm

Well, it worked for a few days. Now back to "You have no flights on file" and no amount of fiddling seems to resolve it.

Originally Posted by anabolism
I discovered a work-around yesterday that so far seems to be successful, at least on two different devices that previously insisted "you have no flights on file"
  1. In the AA app, click the "More" tab on the bottom right
  2. Click the "AA.com" selection on the bottom
  3. Click "View Reservation"
  4. Log in as prompted
  5. Click one or more reservations to view (this step might not be needed)
  6. Click the "My Flights" tab on the bottom near the left to verify that the native app now shows your itineraries.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Anyone else have this issue?:

I can see my itinerary, even the "each segment on a separate screen/page" page... but when I click on the seat assignment to go to the seat map page to change my seat, I just get a blank page.

This is happening on both my iPhone and iPad apps. It was happening on the old app yesterday, then last night I upgraded to the latest version of the app (light blue) and it's still happening.

Thx
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
I've been getting the same thing on the iPhone app - blank page when I click on a seat
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:56 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by canyonleo

I can see my itinerary, even the "each segment on a separate screen/page" page... but when I click on the seat assignment to go to the seat map page to change my seat, I just get a blank page.

This is happening on both my iPhone and iPad apps. It was happening on the old app yesterday, then last night I upgraded to the latest version of the app (light blue) and it's still happening.

Thx
Just tried it for tomorrow's flight, and it loaded for me. IIRC, this wasn't working, then was working. Still seems working for me. I'm on version 2.0.0.

Cheers.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Passbook - Seat Change

I am still having an issue where the app will show me the seat map with empty seats but I cannot change... so I changed my seat with the AAngels in the AAdmirals Club at LAX yesterday...

Then, i got a little pop-up message on my iPhone telling me my BP was updated... when I opened it, my seat was CIRCLED pointing out that it was changed. Awesome. Loved it.

Until... I was boarding and when my BP scanned it had my old seat, gave an error and I had to go back to the gate agent and have them print out a hard copy boarding pass... Boo . I was quite surprised/excited that the electronic BP automatically updated but I suppose too good to be true that it would work seamlessly.

Last edited by cphurley; Dec 15, 2012 at 6:25 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT (2 MM); Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium

Has not worked for me for a long time now, even before the most recent update. The previous version displayed a spinning wheel; the current version shows a blank page. One thing I discovered a while back is that the feature does not work for trips booked via my employer's travel agent. If I book a personal trip on AA.com, the app allows me to change seats. I also happen to have an Android phone and the seat selector works just fine for both corporate and personal itineraries. Go figure.

Last edited by ord_is_home; Dec 15, 2012 at 3:41 pm
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM

Thx
+1 The same issue for 2 months.... very frustrating
Old Dec 16, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
I've given up using the app - it won't show me the seat map, stopped working in the previous version, never worked in this new (light blue) version. FAIL
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
I haven't been able to see any of my reservations on either the iPad or iPhone since October. Even before the 6.0. I've called about 4 times now. They referred me to thr developer. Called them and promised a call back. Never received one. No one seems to know what to do. CRAP APP CRAP SERVICE.

Last edited by AA-Flyer-SAN; Dec 17, 2012 at 12:10 pm
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:24 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I've given up using the app - it won't show me the seat map, stopped working in the previous version, never worked in this new (light blue) version. FAIL
I haven't been able to see any of my reservations on either the iPad or iPhone since October. Even before the 6.0. I've called about 4 times now. They referred me to thr developer. Called them and promised a call back. Never received one. No one seems to know what to do. CRAP APP CRAP SERVICE.
Well, I'm not going to defend the developer as I've had issues with them in the past, but I can see how the current situation would be difficult for them since the problems are not universal. As a software developer (well, former as I don't do real work anymore ), I know how difficult it is to fix an issue that only happens in a subset of installations.

These features (looking at reservations, viewing seatmaps) have been working for me throughout, and I'm sure I'm not the only one for whom it works.

Crap service? I'd agree. As for the app, it's working as well, or better, than ever before for me. Mobile BPs are much more consistent, and the updates are faster. Definitely not crap.

Cheers.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Well, I'm not going to defend the developer as I've had issues with them in the past, but I can see how the current situation would be difficult for them since the problems are not universal. As a software developer (well, former as I don't do real work anymore ), I know how difficult it is to fix an issue that only happens in a subset of installations.

These features (looking at reservations, viewing seatmaps) have been working for me throughout, and I'm sure I'm not the only one for whom it works.

Crap service? I'd agree. As for the app, it's working as well, or better, than ever before for me. Mobile BPs are much more consistent, and the updates are faster. Definitely not crap.

Cheers.
Do you have an iphone or another smart phone? Everyone who seems to have the same problems I have are using iOS6 on the iphone/pad. The app is worthless if I cannot pull up a reservation and boarding pass. Last week the boarding pass wouldn't even show up in Passbook. Worked fine until the app came out with an update the first week in October.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.