Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:33 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Does the [b] indicate business class?

If so, then yes, you should earn 1.5 pts for each mile flown and 10K pts will earn PLT status via a challenge.
Full Fare Economy Class [B Inventory]

However, you are cutting it pretty close here. Where are you looking to determine the mileage? There can be some very minor discrepancies between Great Circle Map and what AA actually awards for a flight. Usually the difference is only a couple of miles - which in your case might make make a big difference and AA doesn't allow any leeway w/the reqs. for the challenges.
I know, this is why.. i want to know opinions about that 2 spare EQP ...
I'm using http://www.milecalc.com/

Finally, IIRC you initially earned status via a challenge, be aware that the rules for challenges have changed - so "re-challenging" this soon may not be allowed. Also, there is now a fee for the challenges.
I'm aware about the $200 fee. I will (not gladly) pay for it. I asked JDiver some months ago and he said it should be fine i "re-challenge". Last time i challenged was on Sep 08.

Originally Posted by JDiver
As I understand it, if you completed a Gold Challenge in 2008, there should be no problem attempting a Platinum Challenge anytime. If you think you will earn 10k points this calendar year, you should be able to sign up for a Platinum Challenge (which if done in, basically, the second half of 2009, would extend Platinum status through the end of February of 2011.)

As to subsequent Challenges, you may not Challenge for continued status, that is true; you will have to drop from Platinum status before you will be granted the option of attempting a Platinum Challenge, or from Gold before attempting another Gold Challenge.
I will browse AA's site to recheck mileage accrual

Last edited by mvtm; Oct 9, 2009 at 6:49 pm
Old Oct 10, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum(new, via challenge), UA 1K(since '06), BR Diamond(since '08)
I met the Platinum challenge requirement and became a Platinum last week.

AA applied 100-percent bonus miles to the flight that took me across the 10,000 points finish line. I fully expected this. For this particular flight, this meant about 6000 bonus miles.

However, I was quite surprised when I noticed that AA also applied the 100% Platinum bonus miles to every flight that were posted to my account on that same date. This was a nice bonus of several thousand extra miles! (three short flights, plus one transcon flight, all taken on the same date)

Originally I was afraid that the shortest flight was going to become the one that took me above 10000 points, in which case the 6000-mile flight wouldn't get an extra 6000miles. Instead, AA gave me 100% bonus for every flight taken on the day I became Platinum! Very nice!
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Depends.

Contray to convetional wisdom, I have accessed several BA J lounges without a card, and yet other times the dragon demanded to see one.

I accessed the BA J lounge in JNB without a PLT card. One month later I entered the JNB F lounge without my new EXP card.

LHR is hit or miss.

You just never know.

Originally Posted by SwissYankee
I only became Platinum this week, as a result of completing the Platinum challenge. OW lounge access is not granted even if I'm holding AA international business class ticket, no? I assume I won't have access to OW lounges until I receive the physical AA Platinum card.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:23 am

Doing the Platinum challenge...

I am planning to get an AA codeshare flight (Cathay Pacific) JFK-HKG-JFK to easily rack up 10,000+ points for the platinum challenge. My only question is will the AA codeshare work or do I actually need to be on a pure AA flight? I called AAdvantage representative twice and one says yes and one says no. Horrific.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:49 am

As long as you book the AA flight number you should be good. Here ya go:

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA)

- As of January 2007, only flights marketed by AA (with an AA flight number) are eligible for earning points that count towards the completion of a Challenge. You can still fly on a non-AA metal flight operated by a partner, but you must make sure that you have booked it with an AA codeshare flight number. (Previously, points earned on partner-marketed flights were eligible, but that is no longer the case).
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:59 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Did you have a chance to check out the Wiki on this forum or the Challenge "Help Desk" thread stickied at the top?

From the Wiki (http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...lenge_%28AA%29)

As of January 2007, only flights marketed by AA (with an AA flight number) are eligible for earning points that count towards the completion of a Challenge. You can still fly on a non-AA metal flight operated by a partner, but you must make sure that you have booked it with an AA codeshare flight number. (Previously, points earned on partner-marketed flights were eligible, but that is no longer the case).
Also, the Wiki contains a recent letter sent out from AA about the Platinum challenge. One bullet addresses your question:

Be sure to fly AA (we know you want to anyway!) since only points earned on American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection flights (including AA codeshare flights operated by other carriers) count toward Challenges.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:24 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I am planning to get an AA codeshare flight (Cathay Pacific) JFK-HKG-JFK to easily rack up 10,000+ points for the platinum challenge. My only question is will the AA codeshare work or do I actually need to be on a pure AA flight? I called AAdvantage representative twice and one says yes and one says no. Horrific.
Greetings Cathay Boy! Your thread has now been merged into the Help Desk thread on Challenges, which is here to answer these sorts of questions.

/Moderator
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:08 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Cathay Boy Also be aware of Argen-Tina's troubles re purchasing the ticket outside the US and not paying in US$ (see post #75 in this thread). There have been no reports of other FT'ers experiencing the same problem, so it's just a single data point at the moment.

FWIW I did the challenge late last year - but before the fee was imposed. Bought the ticket in OZ, paid in AUD, flew two codeshare flights to get to 10K EQP no problemo.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I am planning to get an AA codeshare flight (Cathay Pacific) JFK-HKG-JFK to easily rack up 10,000+ points for the platinum challenge. My only question is will the AA codeshare work or do I actually need to be on a pure AA flight?
Challenge has special rules. The flight has to be booked with AA codeshare fir it to count. I think you can only that if connecting to/from some AA flight.

Whether booking a pure AA flight, or a CX flight with AA codeshare, pay attention to how many points you'd actually earn, because that depends on the fare basis.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:56 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by aktchi
Challenge has special rules. The flight has to be booked with AA codeshare fir it to count.
Correct - it has to be an AA flight number
I think you can only that if connecting to/from some AA flight.
Incorrect - JFK-HKG-JFK on CX metal with AA flight number has no such restrictions
Whether booking a pure AA flight, or a CX flight with AA codeshare, pay attention to how many points you'd actually earn, because that depends on the fare basis.
See this page on aa.com
JFK to HKG is just over 8,000 miles according to GCM
The higher booking codes will get >10,000 EQPs on the outbound flight, thus satisfying the challenge (1.5 EQP per BIS mile)
Discount economy booking codes will achieve it on the inbound flight (1 EQP per mile)
Deep discount codes will not achieve it (0.5 EQP per mile = ~8,000 EQP for the trip)
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
So I'm trying to gather some ideas on how to handle a switch to AA. Actually diversification since I'm booked to 80k on UA for 2010 already. Currently I'm DL Platinum and should hit 100k and am also UA 1k with 200k EQM in 2008 and 2009 and 150k in 2007.

The only real thing I'm trying to avoid right now is slugging through the crap of a challenge since I'm already a pretty heavy hitter with being able to hit top tier on two airlines without promos. Has anyone done a match from a similar situation before?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by bschaff1
So I'm trying to gather some ideas on how to handle a switch to AA. Actually diversification since I'm booked to 80k on UA for 2010 already. Currently I'm DL Platinum and should hit 100k and am also UA 1k with 200k EQM in 2008 and 2009 and 150k in 2007.

The only real thing I'm trying to avoid right now is slugging through the crap of a challenge since I'm already a pretty heavy hitter with being able to hit top tier on two airlines without promos. Has anyone done a match from a similar situation before?
IIRC, AA doesn't do matches. If you have paid international business travel, book that on AA as your "challenge" trip -- you'll be in the premium cabin, with lounge access, so it's not as if you'll have to suffer...
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:14 am

Do you earn stickers just for hitting GLD or PLT?

I've heard mixed answers to this question and could not find a definitive answer in the wiki, search, FAQ, etc.

When you first hit status through EQMs, do you earn a complimentary batch (4?) of sticker upgrades?

2 different agents just gave me 2 different answers. One said when you hit GLD on EQMs you get 4 stickers "to get you hooked," the second agent said no.

There was confusion on whether this also happened when you hit PLT, as presumably you've been earning miles towards upgrades since you hit GLD.

My dad, who is a long time PLT and will hit Lifetime PLT this year, seemed to think you always got 4 stickers when you qualified for PLT by default...

The reason I ask in this forum is I just completed a PLT challenge based on EQPs. When DBEQMs post, I would have also hit GLD on the final leg of that itinerary that took me to PLT.

I'm not a PLT, but should I expect to retroactively have earned 4 (or maybe 8 for hitting BOTH statuses?) for breaking GLD on EQMs?

My situation is more complicated by this: something got bugged in the system on my challenge, and I did not earn PLT bonus miles nor miles towards upgrades on my final leg (NRT-JFK, so would have been 6700 bonus RDMs and 6700 of the 10000 miles needed towards upgrades). To handle this, the kind agents just compensated me with 8 free stickers instead (nice!).

Did I really only get 4 comped stickers for the loss of 6700RDMs/MTUs b/c I should've gotten 4 anyway by becoming PLT? Did I really get no comped stickers because I should've gotten 4 for becoming GLD + 4 for becoming PLT? Or do you simply not actually get any for hitting any status level and my 8 comped really were 8 comped?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:47 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
You do not get any stickers for crossing the Gold or Platinum threshold. The 8 stickers you received were simply just comped stickers.

Your dad did get 8 stickers when he crossed the 1MM mark (assuming he has a US-based AAdvantage account), and he will get 4 eVIPs when he crosses the 2MM mark. Otherwise, he's just been earning 4 stickers per 10K MTU.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:13 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by bschaff1
There is a little bit of anecdotal information on this in the wiki, with links to the corresponding FT threads:

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...9#Status_Match

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.