Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Transcontinental Three Class Service Airbus A321 "A321T"

NOTE: The "32B" designation is used by ICAO for A321 (-100 and -200) family with "Sharklet" wingtips; the use of "32B" by AA has been applied to "321T", the three class aircraft described here and used on transcon service, and for the "A321", the two class A321S used in "normal" service as well as the A321H ETOPS version used on West Coast-Hawai'i service. ("321" is used by AA to describe non-Sharklets equipped LUS A321s.)

A subset of A321-200 aircraft has a three class configuration (with First and Business with horizontal full flat seats, as well as Main Cabin Extra and Main Cabin) for use on transcontinental JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO flights. First delivery was N101NN, Fleet No. 783, 21 Nov 2013. Inaugural flights were AA118 Lv LAX 0700 Ar JFK 1530 Tue 7 Jan 2014 and AA133 Lv JFK 1545 Ar LAX 1925. SFO-LAX began 6 Mar 2014.

These aircraft, referred to as "A321T" or "321T", have 10F in 1 + 1 layout, 20J in 2 + 2, and 72Y in 3 + 3 configuration (MCE rows 11-16); coded "321T" (32B in timetables). F has Zodiac Skylounge solo suite seats with shells similar to the 77W Business suites, J have B/E Aerospace Diamond Parallel horizontal lie flat seats; MCE and Main Cabin Recaro slimline seats. Pets have two small cabins flanking the aisle forward in F, called "Cuddle Class".

In Flight Entertainment is Audio-Video on Demand (AVOD), provided by Thales in its TopSeries system, with 15.4" touch screens offering "200 movies, 180 TV programs, more than 350 audio selections, up to 20 games, and 3-D moving maps" free in F and J, and $4.00 for most movies and TV in Y on an 8.9" touch screen. These are also controlled by universal remote controls. Bose QuietComfort headsets are provided in F and J; these are recovered by crew about an hour from your destination. (Unfortunately, the IFE system has turned out to be extremely unreliable; currently, do not expect to experience seamless AVOD on these aircraft. Some have reported successfully resetting by holding down "O" button over ten seconds on remote and the same procedure for the screen power on button.)

WiFi is provided by GoGo ATG-4 (cellular) service, and is not very fast.

At seat power includes USB 5 VDC and universal 110 VAC outlets. The outlets are awkwardly placed by your head in J, in the seatback in front of you in coach.

Also note: Airbus A320 family - 156 inches (395 cm) outside width
Boeing 737 /757 - 148 inches (380 cm) outside diameter.

Which transcontinental AA flights are operated by A321-200 "A321T" three class aircraft?
All transcontinental non-stop flights scheduled• JFK <-> LAX
• JFK<-> SFOare operated by three class Airbus A321-200 "32B" (A321-200 with "Sharklets" wingtip devices.

No other regularly scheduled transcontinental non-stop flights (e.g. MIA-LAX, PHL-LAX or -SFO, etc.) use the three class A321-200 "A321T" - even if a "32B" might be used in the future, it will merely be a two class LAA A321-200 aircraft (with Sharklets).

For further discussion on seats, service, etc. on three class A321T aircraft, please see:

Best Business / First seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

For older posts, see the Archive thread here.
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Last year I flew BOS-(32T in F)-JFK- (77W in J)-LHR and got to experience 32T F seat and 77W J seat in same day. I did feel as what is the difference between 32T F seats and 77W J seats? I understand one is domestic 3-class and another is international 3-class but did not see much difference between J seat on 77W and F seat on 32T .
A32T F and 77W J use exactly the same seat.

The person you responded to was talking about 77E J seat which is a different seat.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bzcat
A32T F and 77W J use exactly the same seat.
Not completely true--there are some subtle differences between the two. The biggest one for me is that the 77W J seat has a storage cutout under the side table (where the water bottle holder is), which increases the effective bed width for side sleepers like me, as I can bend my knees into that cutout. This cutout makes the 77W J seat the best in the fleet for me. The A321T F seat (or the 772/789 Super Diamond J seat) does not have this cutout for my bent knees; instead it is a straight "wall" with a different kind of storage compartment.

Another difference is that the 77W has an extra bit of privacy divider at the head/shoulder level that the A321T does not, which makes a noticeable difference IMHO.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by dkc192
Not completely true--there are some subtle differences between the two. The biggest one for me is that the 77W J seat has a storage cutout under the side table (where the water bottle holder is), which increases the effective bed width for side sleepers like me, as I can bend my knees into that cutout. This cutout makes the 77W J seat the best in the fleet for me. The A321T F seat (or the 772/789 Super Diamond J seat) does not have this cutout for my bent knees; instead it is a straight "wall" with a different kind of storage compartment.

Another difference is that the 77W has an extra bit of privacy divider at the head/shoulder level that the A321T does not, which makes a noticeable difference IMHO.
Yes, good analysis of the seats
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:38 pm

Last row of J????

Is row 10 in business "close " to main cabin extra? How much privacy and distance from first row of main cabin extra ?
In business class , in this day of covid, would you take bulkhead ( 6A&C ) or last row (10 A &C) ? Two people are traveling together.
Normally , ( Before Covid) when flying in a premium cabin I try to avoid bulkhead and last row.
I'm leaning towards Row 10 . Would we be close to main cabin extra? Noise, higher density of people .
FYI bulkhead or last row are all that is left.
Oh and it's a daytime flight.
How bothersome are the Lavs in this configuration if you are in the bulkhead?
Thanks to all for your gracious input.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Prefer row 10 as it's quieter. You are not close to main cabin at all. There is a bulkhead (which I think is sufficient). Beyond that, the spacing between the bulkhead and the first row of MCE seats is huge because of the exit door. It's the quietest/most private row since no passengers walk past it.

Row 6 has the galley, lavs, and snack basket investigators (FA leaves the basket there through the flight.) But row 6, at least window, is really not bad. I can still get good sleep there.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:40 am

Thank you Irdpenn appreciate your time !
Old Aug 7, 2021, 3:09 pm

I took row 10 over bulkhead.

I took row 10 over bulkhead.
I recall a really helpful post upthread that I could not find again saying that if traveling as two people that odd number rows did not have partitions and actually allow to face each other which eating.
It seems odd rows on the Boeing 777-300ER (77W)
Boeing 777-300ER (77W)
Old Sep 30, 2021, 12:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Is the 321T no longer flying between JFK & BOS?? There was always a late flight JFK to BOS and then an early one back to JFK. Positioning maybe for the Transcon but I never see it anymore.

In fact, I cant even buy a ticket on AA metal between JFK & BOS. Its only Jet Blue flights, on AA's site.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Is the 321T no longer flying between JFK & BOS?? There was always a late flight JFK to BOS and then an early one back to JFK. Positioning maybe for the Transcon but I never see it anymore.

In fact, I cant even buy a ticket on AA metal between JFK & BOS. Its only Jet Blue flights, on AA's site.
The A321T is still loaded for days JFK-BOS. Checkout the November schedule onwards - some days have 4x A321T's both directions (for now at least). I believe until Nov 2nd, it's B6 codeshares only on this route.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 30, 2021, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
The A321T is still loaded for days JFK-BOS. Checkout the November schedule onwards - some days have 4x A321T's both directions (for now at least). I believe until Nov 2nd, it's B6 codeshares only on this route.

-FlyerBeek
Didnt look past 11/2. Thanks.. So why no A321T's now? Covid related? And its weird all the B6 options go away after the 321T comes back, I would have thought they would do a mix going forward. Just how LAX-JFK both options are available.,

How come AA even flies the A321T between JFK and BOS? Its not positioning right b/c they have endless 321T's coming in from LAX and they just turn around from JFK and go back to LAX.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 2:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Have an F award booking for SJC-LAX-BOS in December with LAX-BOS in A321T F. Wondering what the best seat to choose is - currently I have 4F, but at this point I'm the only one booked in F and can choose any seat really.

Also does anyone know what the chances of LAX flagship first dining being open by December 11 are?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
Have an F award booking for SJC-LAX-BOS in December with LAX-BOS in A321T F. Wondering what the best seat to choose is - currently I have 4F, but at this point I'm the only one booked in F and can choose any seat really.

Also does anyone know what the chances of LAX flagship first dining being open by December 11 are?
There isn’t a ton of strategy for this plane , it’s not like there are truly diff seats positions (staggered) as is typically the case w RH seats. And it’s all in 1 cabin so basically all I would say is avoid 5 as it can be noisy from the galley right behind. Because it is a narrow body it doesn’t have much space between 1 and the front galley however more than you would think. I don’t think 1 is an issue how some may say. It’s not as far from the galley of course as 1 on the 77W.

Best bets are 2,3 or 4. I prefer being served sooner than later so I personally would do 2 or 3. 3 if it’s a sleep flight since you are farthest from any FA/galley. 4 is a tad more private than 2 since lav is up front.

I don’t play the sun game as I always would go right side for this plane to have table on my right but sun will of course be on the right heading East from LA
Old Oct 16, 2021, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by JetAirways77W

Regardless of the order in which they take orders, row 1 gets served first, so I prefer row 1. (There's also a little space in front of you to set items down... they used to put the snack baskets there sometimes though, but I doubt they do that these days.)

As for left vs right, if you want to see Grand Canyon, pick right. If you want to see Grand Staircase/Escalante (on a good day, you can see the incremental plateaus from southern to middle Utah), and maybe the top end of Lake Powell, pick left. You can sleep from Denver to the Catskills

As for FFD, no idea, but I have an LAX-BOS booked for a couple days before you that I'll fly only if it's open then, so I'm as hopeful as you are!
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Coolest config of all time. OF ALL TIME. That walk all the way to the back is just ridiculous after passing F/J on a narrowbody. It dropped some jaws. it's not just biz pax that fly aa nonstop lax-jfk. I want to actually book Y and stay in Y one time just so I can walk all the way to the end with the Y pax and feel their pain/see what it looks like back there. One little girl yelling "where do we sit mommy" and mom saying "go to the back of the bus, back of the bus" and she started crying after passing J. Ughhhh.

What an evil and wicked savage config lol. Sadly b/c of covid, FA's don't like J/F pax moving around to Y anymore to explore

I still can't justify F knowing they are just J seats.
Buster CT1K likes this.

Last edited by SKYEG; Oct 16, 2021 at 3:32 pm
Old Oct 19, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
There isn’t a ton of strategy for this plane , it’s not like there are truly diff seats positions (staggered) as is typically the case w RH seats. And it’s all in 1 cabin so basically all I would say is avoid 5 as it can be noisy from the galley right behind. Because it is a narrow body it doesn’t have much space between 1 and the front galley however more than you would think. I don’t think 1 is an issue how some may say. It’s not as far from the galley of course as 1 on the 77W.

Best bets are 2,3 or 4. I prefer being served sooner than later so I personally would do 2 or 3. 3 if it’s a sleep flight since you are farthest from any FA/galley. 4 is a tad more private than 2 since lav is up front.

I don’t play the sun game as I always would go right side for this plane to have table on my right but sun will of course be on the right heading East from LA
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Regardless of the order in which they take orders, row 1 gets served first, so I prefer row 1. (There's also a little space in front of you to set items down... they used to put the snack baskets there sometimes though, but I doubt they do that these days.)

As for left vs right, if you want to see Grand Canyon, pick right. If you want to see Grand Staircase/Escalante (on a good day, you can see the incremental plateaus from southern to middle Utah), and maybe the top end of Lake Powell, pick left. You can sleep from Denver to the Catskills

As for FFD, no idea, but I have an LAX-BOS booked for a couple days before you that I'll fly only if it's open then, so I'm as hopeful as you are!
It's an evening daytime flight (depart 2:50pm, arrive 11:12pm) so the sun should be setting on the left with the plane flying northeast. I switched to 2F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.