Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

AA is now offering three types of Economy fares via AA.com:

Choice (fare basis code ends in 1) = Lowest Fare, earn AA miles
Choice Essential (fare basis code ends in 2) = Change Fee (depends on detailed fare rules), 1 Checked Bag, Group 1 Boarding, Earn AA miles
Choice Plus (fare basis code ends in 7) = above Choice Essential benefits plus 50% Bonus RDM, Same-Day Flight Change, Same-Day Standby, Premium Beverage, No Change Fee, Earns base miles plus 50% bonus miles
Business/First as Choice Plus, plus 3 checked bags, No change fee (domestic only), priority baggage delivery at carousel, 50% class of service bonus miles

(Updated 1 Mar 2015)

See this page at aa.com for bundled services.

AmericanAirlines has posted some comments and clarifications in Post 144.

Originally Posted by hillrider
(1Mar 2015) The fee for the "choice plus" bundled extra now ranges from $80-80 each way, up from $80.

Choice plus extras are comprised of:
  • 1 checked bag
  • Group 1 Boarding
  • No change fee (any difference in fares would still apply; valid for American Airlines operated flights)
  • Same-day flight change
  • Same-day standby
  • Premium beverage on board
  • Earn 50% more AAdvantage miles
See these related links:

AA.com: Tailor Your Travel | Enhance Your Travel with Combined Features

FT: AA economy fare basis now ends with a number
Print Wikipost

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Deleted

Last edited by sts603; Dec 12, 2012 at 12:14 pm Reason: I was wrong.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro/4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
They *have* to bring back the sorting options. I always look for my flights by shortest travel time and eliminating sorting is beyond belief and counterproductive.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
To follow up on my previous post, it looks like the "premium beverage" will be given upon redemption of a coupon. Perhaps this will be printed along with boarding passes either at home or at a kiosk?

Also interesting to note, I believe that if an elite purchases Choice Plus they get three bags, however if you purchase a business/first fare you only get two bags included. Someone needs to synchronize these benefits. (not really an issue for me, but the inconsistency irks me)

See the FAQ here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/choices...&title=choices

Last edited by FlyingTrojan; Dec 12, 2012 at 12:24 pm
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Agree.... on my browser it is not loading properly, it so hard to read... WHAT A MESS.

Originally Posted by smilee
Although I started this thread, I just noticed that one of the problems is the web browser used. I have tried 4 different versions of Firefox - and it will not load properly with any of them. Internet Explorer does work on some versions, but not all. Have not tried Chrome yet.

I find it hard to believe that a company like AA would release such a buggy web interface. I would presume that will drive away customers and sales this month.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA PRO
This is why AA is in bankruptcy.

(I can't believe it took 9 pages of posts before someone said this - and I am thrilled that it was me! lol)

Seriously though, I really liked the different sorting options for price, departure time, shortest travel, etc. I also really liked the ability to see the one way fares. Not infrequently I will book one way on AA and one way on UA, based on schedule, since the price is often equivalent.

Please bring back one way views and the sorting options!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
I apologize in advance if this was already covered - but does this change mean the no-change fee fare is cheaper? IIRC the few times I had to book one for work purposes, the no-change fee fares were usually >$150 difference. From the couple of dummy bookings I have tried, it's only $68 more
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
Originally Posted by jmanirish
I apologize in advance if this was already covered - but does this change mean the no-change fee fare is cheaper? IIRC the few times I had to book one for work purposes, the no-change fee fares were usually >$150 difference. From the couple of dummy bookings I have tried, it's only $68 more
Yes, that is essentially correct. Fare bucket now matters less for change fees. Instead it is governed more by the "bundle" you purchased. The $68 more reflect a bundle in which you don't need to pay a change fee, but you still need to pay the fare difference.

Fare bucket does matter in terms of refundability and flexibility.

Last edited by FlyingTrojan; Dec 12, 2012 at 12:37 pm Reason: clarify
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I like that aa.com now clearly shows how much additional F/J will be. As an EXP I doubt that I would pay for an actual F/J seat, but if the price is right and its a flight that upgrading would be important (like a redeye or late night flight) I might go for it.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:40 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by smilee
Although I started this thread, I just noticed that one of the problems is the web browser used. I have tried 4 different versions of Firefox - and it will not load properly with any of them. Internet Explorer does work on some versions, but not all. Have not tried Chrome yet.

I find it hard to believe that a company like AA would release such a buggy web interface. I would presume that will drive away customers and sales this month.
Having no problems on Firefox 17.0.1. So that's likely not the issue here.

Cheers.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingTrojan
Yes, that is essentially correct. Fare bucket now matters less for change fees. Instead it is governed more by the "bundle" you purchased. The $68 more reflect a bundle in which you don't need to pay a change fee, but you still need to pay the fare difference.

Fare bucket does matter in terms of refundability and flexibility.
Thanks. Any idea if travel desks have access to these buckets/addons? (now that it's a bundle and not part of the fare bucket)
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
With these new services what waive the change fee, what happens if someone buys Choice Essential and needs to just change the outbound or the inbound. Does the entire itinerary reprice? Changing a ticket closer to departure is expensive, but repricing the whole thing sometimes makes it not worth it to change.

If so, it might be better to buy the ticket as two one ways.

For $68 more, I can see this as a good deal for non elites flying AA. Checking a bag round trip would be an extra $50. For an additional $18, they have no change fee. I do wish AA discounted this for elites.

Last edited by Xero; Dec 12, 2012 at 12:53 pm
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Just messed around with the new interface a little bit.

I'm (generally) a fan. I've been saying for years that I believe there's a market for some sort of middle ground on fare rules and change fees. With the huge gap in price between total refundability and the "normal" fares 95% of people buy, somebody was bound to exploit that with a changeable-but-not-refundable level somewhere close to, but slightly above, the base fare. I always felt it was crazy that Southwest could own this space with no real competition from the legacies.

Hopefully the sorts and display options that people want will eventually come around. For now, I'll just applaud what for the U.S. legacies is actual innovation.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Xero
With these new services what waive the change fee, what happens if someone buys Choice Essential and needs to just change the outbound or the inbound. Does the entire itinerary reprice? Changing a ticket closer to departure is expensive, but repricing the whole thing sometimes makes it not worth it to change.

If so, it might be better to buy the ticket as two one ways.
I also asked the question as to whether Choice Essential would remain.

If the original ticket was $300 + $68 = $368 (Choice Essential added). And you want to change to a $330 ticket which is $330 + $68 = $398 (Choice Essential added), you'd only pay $30, right? So Choice Essential essentially stays with you. But if you wanted to NOT have Choice Essential on the repriced ticket, could you get $38 back in credit? ($368 paid - $330 new price)?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I really can't see anything wrong with the new approach. It is now showing the lowest fare based on standard categories of lowest, lowest with no change fee, fares that give 50% bonus miles plus same day change and standby

Then in another tab details of refundable fares

This seems a pretty logical set of choices to me

Plus it is giving the total r/t cost in its initial display which is something I do not recall aa.com doing in US historically.

I like it
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
I love the choice options. If I am needing to book a flight where I know I might need to change it later I would happily buy the choice packages, the only thing about the change I don't like is the ability to sort flights by time, price, # of segments, etc and I hope those come back soon.

So basically a great idea of bundled fares, but a lousy (at the moment) user interface.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.