Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted Boeing 738 / 737-800 First / Business seat (not 7M8 or Oasis)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Boeing 737-823 airframes are currently configured 16F, 144Y (including 30 MCE), but a Cabin refit has begun.

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all Boeing 737-800 aircraft are being retrofitted between 2018 and 2021. The first refitted aircraft of 304 738 airframes, N979AN, re-entered Service 13 May 2018.

Business / First cabins use 16 seats like those found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. Lavatories are ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion has begun we have started a new thread at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1912327-aircraft-guide-738-737-800-oasis-reconfigured-first-business-seat.html for Business / First (A319 Seat with reduced pitch and recline) seating in the new Project Oasis

You should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

Pre-Oasis 737-800 / 738 First / Business Cabin Seating

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens. N939NN and N941NN and others delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus 5 VDC USB seat power.

Please refer to the (unofficial) AA 737-800 Fleet Page Link for 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.
Print Wikipost

Unrefitted Boeing 738 / 737-800 First / Business seat (not 7M8 or Oasis)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
The cold steak was also served in 3-class F on AA16 SFO-JFK earlier this month. Made me gag
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: Various
In regards to the Cold Beef plate (or Clam Chowder bowl) options on the transon flights, I believe that menu is for late night or snack service. Usually a hot meal is served for Lunch or Dinner timeframes.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
2-class transcon F and 3-class transcon J feature identical menus. The only difference in this instance would be the seat and the handheld video players.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:33 pm

The cold beef plate was on a lunch flight. For my snack flights, I recall either a chicken cobb salad or a cheeseburger. Both accompanied by a bag of pita chips. No ice cream but we did get cookies.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1.6 MM
Originally Posted by Zeffer
Now that EWR has lost the 3-class 762 service to LAX, what's first class on the 738 like? Obviously the seats aren't as nice as on the 762 but is the service still "flagship", or just regular domestic first?

With a fare sale, I suspect it's still worth paying $109 for J on the 762 out of JFK than $79 for F on the 738 (assuming my upgrade clears, which it almost always does)
were did u find the 79 fare?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by DZONELB
were did u find the 79 fare?
MR forum - believe it's gone.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
2-class transcon F and 3-class transcon J feature identical menus. The only difference in this instance would be the seat and the handheld video players.

-FlyerBeek

Handheld PEDs (the ARCHOS devices) are now offered in all premium cabins on nonstop transcons, on most aircraft types. I've gotten them in the past couple of months while flying:
- 762 F (JFK-LAX)
- 762 J (SFO-JFK)
- 763 F (JFK-SFO)
- 752 F (BOS-SFO)

(Not sure if this device would be offered on 738 equipment flying IAD-LAX. Clearly not needed on the 772 flying MIA-LAX because of the onboard AVOD at every seat.)

As far as the made-to-order ice cream sundaes go, I believe they currently are offered:
- Lunch-coded flights: offered in 762 F (in a dish) only
- Dinner-coded flights: offered in 762 F (in a dish), 763 F (in a glass), 762 J (in a glass), 752 F (in a glass, although once I got mine in a dish--probably a catering mistake), 738 F (in a glass)*

(*I don't know for sure about the 738 because I haven't flown a nonstop transcon on this equipment.)

(Note, also, that the marinated cheese antipasto is exclusively in 762 F.)

Last edited by ESpen36; Jan 9, 2010 at 8:42 pm
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
so no wifi on the 738's.. ughh

I just booked a couple of these MR's too
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by Zeffer
Now that EWR has lost the 3-class 762 service to LAX, what's first class on the 738 like? Obviously the seats aren't as nice as on the 762 but is the service still "flagship", or just regular domestic first?

With a fare sale, I suspect it's still worth paying $109 for J on the 762 out of JFK than $79 for F on the 738 (assuming my upgrade clears, which it almost always does)
I will be able to tell you in 2 days Tuesday Jan 12 EWR-LAX non-stop in F. As you correctly state: seats in F and C will always be better on 767 or 777 widebody aircraft also used in inter-continental service.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
The MR that I booked LAX-EWR was in H inventory, (no change fee) so I went ahead and changed the return leg to JFK. (Intentionally booked EWR-ORD-LAX on the way out to meet a friend.) For all the money it would cost me nowadays to get from Manhattan to Newark, $18 extra bucks for the ticket + the 762 is not a bad deal.

However, I'm surprised to hear that J does not get sundaes on 762 lunch flights? I believe I've gotten them before, so I want to know if something's changed. That's my favorite part of the service, of course!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by demkr
The MR that I booked LAX-EWR was in H inventory, (no change fee) so I went ahead and changed the return leg to JFK. (Intentionally booked EWR-ORD-LAX on the way out to meet a friend.) For all the money it would cost me nowadays to get from Manhattan to Newark, $18 extra bucks for the ticket + the 762 is not a bad deal.

However, I'm surprised to hear that J does not get sundaes on 762 lunch flights? I believe I've gotten them before, so I want to know if something's changed. That's my favorite part of the service, of course!
So was it no hassle to change co-terms? I want to change to JFK as well

how long after you ticketed did you call to do this?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
The MR that I booked LAX-EWR was in H inventory, (no change fee) ...

Wow...a transcon MR fare booked in H? Must have been either a mistake fare or some kind of competitive match. Most fares I would designate as MR fares are in Q or O (i.e. ~$240 A/I round trip) and are heavily restricted.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
So was it no hassle to change co-terms? I want to change to JFK as well

how long after you ticketed did you call to do this?
It was booked in H fare code (that's where I saw the $79 fares) -- check to see if yours is in the same bucket .. if it is you should just be able to change it online without a change fee. It was $18.60 fare difference (on January 20th, atleast) to change LAX-EWR to LAX-JFK
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Wow...a transcon MR fare booked in H? Must have been either a mistake fare or some kind of competitive match. Most fares I would designate as MR fares are in Q or O (i.e. ~$240 A/I round trip) and are heavily restricted.
It was very odd. $79 in H , but $300+ in Q/O. Fare offering appears to be gone now.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1.6 MM

It depends on time of day. Most of my 90% of my miles were LAX-JFK. Dinner service has the cart with your choices of toppings, lunch has the catering ice cream that has the sauce that has melted all the way to the bottom. If you are in a breakfast flight or late night flight there is no ice cream in either class. They have the full ice cream cart service on 757 LAX-HNL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.