Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
I can report that the Costco in Brooklyn, NY does not have any, and according to one of the managers, they are not currently available in any of their NY locations.

Safe Travels

(I should add that when she said she checked NY stores, I didn't specifically ask if that meant the entire State)
6/8/11 Update: No changes from above.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by sinner7
Remember that Costco Exec membership caps the 2% reward at $500/year for those purchasing large quantities of gift cards...
Good point.

I think I've heard of people obtaining a second membership to get around that.

You'll pay a second annual fee, which is why Costco is probably OK with it (from what I've heard), but if you spend enough, it might be worth it.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Still no luck in the Boston area at the Braintree, Dedham, Everett, and Waltham locations. I haven't made the trek out to see for myself but people answering the phone seem to know nothing about the cards.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, EXP 2012, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN Companion Pass
Costco Ca

Called San Diego Costco - they said only Ca. locations were West Lake Village and Hawthorne in LA
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by paddyboyfoley
Called San Diego Costco - they said only Ca. locations were West Lake Village and Hawthorne in LA
This is clearly not correct since many of us have gotten ours in Mountain View, CA. Perhaps they meant the only Southern CA locations?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter
EDIT: Sorry. My mistake. I read corky's post too quickly and didn't realize that the issue is taxes on award tickets.

That is not true.

AA gift card can be used to purchase for all parts of the airfare. You may be restricted on where you can originate or what carriers you can book flights on. But if you originate in the US and fly AA only, the GC is fully usable on all fares, taxes, and fees.
They are usable on new ticket PURCHASES only. Not award ticket taxes. They cannot be used with awards at all. Just new purchased tickets.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Chicago

Still nothing in Chicago
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by mktozd
Still nothing in Chicago
Are you talking about the Costco AA cards or the Cubs?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Gold, AA EXP, Hertz #1 Gold
Hawthorne Costco

I was in LA this weekend from Chicago so I signed up for a membership and purchased 10 cards at the Hawthorne Costco! I look forward to using them in the next couple of months!!! Maybe I could make this a business :-)
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by twopair24
I was in LA this weekend from Chicago so I signed up for a membership and purchased 10 cards at the Hawthorne Costco! I look forward to using them in the next couple of months!!! Maybe I could make this a business :-)
Someone already suggested upthread selling these, but that path looks bleak.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 3:26 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
San Francisco June 13

The program will be expanding in Northern California. Some additional stores will be getting 300 certs in the near future. San Francisco June 13

While talking with the clerk about my local store (Santa Rosa) getting them he mentioned that his warehouse did not have them yet so he could not order them. All the stores for Northern California getting them are serviced by the same Costco warehouse. I saw Sunnyvale on the list but can not recall the other two or three stores. As he changed the screen to search when San Francisco would be getting them.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by magic111
The program will be expanding in Northern California. Some additional stores will be getting 300 certs in the near future. San Francisco June 13

While talking with the clerk about my local store (Santa Rosa) getting them he mentioned that his warehouse did not have them yet so he could not order them. All the stores for Northern California getting them are serviced by the same Costco warehouse. I saw Sunnyvale on the list but can not recall the other two or three stores. As he changed the screen to search when San Francisco would be getting them.

I can confirm (got them on 6/7) that the Sunnyvale Costo (on Lawrence/Kifer) carries the 10% off Gift cards.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
A big, big thank you to the OP for this. I was in Washington for other reasons and managed to make it out to Pentagon City (what a delight to find a Costco accessible by metro!) and picked up a stack of these.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
I was shopping the BURBANK Costco today and saw the AA Gift Card display. I bought 3 cards, using my Citibank AA AmEx card for the 810 miles provided by the purchase... Cool!

Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
After striking out at local Costcos, I stopped at the one in Hawthorne yesterday evening during a trip to LA. The big display is still there, and I bought 8 cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.