Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Nanook
Was at the San Antonio Costco yesterday (on UTSA Blvd.) and they had none.
I've been calling them at least once a week too asking for these lol.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by SSheinfeld
I purchased them in Glenview and was told they are only available at 2 area stores Glenview and Oakbrook
Definitely none at the Lincoln Park location yesterday. Bummer for those of us in the city!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by beerup
I was wondering the same thing. As far as I recall the insurance works as long as the cc pays part of the ticket. Maybe others will correct me if I'm wrong. Personally, based on how often I utilize the insurance (i.e. never), the 10% off is a better deal for me anyway.
Is this true? I thought I read a clause that said the ticket had to be paid in full by the credit card for the luggage insurance to be valid (on the Ames cards).
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Is this true? I thought I read a clause that said the ticket had to be paid in full by the credit card for the luggage insurance to be valid (on the Ames cards).
Interesting that for Citi AAdvantage MC, travel insurance coverage is granted to "a trip you billed to one of these cards"; however, for the AMEX the conditions state that the trip must be "billed entirely to your Citi American Express Card account". Not sure it definitively answers the question about part payment of a trip with a Citi AAdvantage MC, but definitely clears up that there would be no coverage with the AMEX for part payment.

https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/s...?screenID=1270
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by HikerT
Now available in the Seattle area at the Seattle Store and Issaquah Store.
Thanks so much!

Hopefully they will have some left when I get to Issaquah.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:55 pm

They should have plenty. If not I have 8 that I plan to return.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by beerup
10% off the final payment after any other discount has been applied seems pretty good to me. Still get any cc miles for the purchase. The only thing you miss out on, as far as I can tell, is the cc travel insurance cover.
Well, you'd also lose any bonuses tied to whatever shopping portal you might have used otherwise. For example, you could earn 3% back just by booking tickets through Priceline instead of AA.com.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cazic99
I am sorry, maybe I am missing something here. These are AA certificates at 10% off. So 10% off a AA Plane ticket at retail on AA Website is that great? I mean it might seem good to the non-flyertalk audience but why are they so popular? Am I missing a transfer or something?
It may depend on how much airfare you buy. I've recently purchased several thousand dollars worth of tickets using the cards and have saved a substantial amount of money (10%). If your annual spend is $300, then it may not be worth $30 to hunt down a Costco selling the gift cards. If you plan to spend $20k or more in the next few months, the savings can pay for several upgrade co-pays or several pairs of Bose 15s. You get the idea.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by maize&blue
Well, you'd also lose any bonuses tied to whatever shopping portal you might have used otherwise. For example, you could earn 3% back just by booking tickets through Priceline instead of AA.com.
If you buy AMEX gift cards via big crumbs, use them to purchase AA gift cards at Costco, and have a Costco executive membership you can easily get 4% cash back (or more): 1-2% cash back (or miles / points) on whatever card you want to use for the AMEX gift card purchase + 1.6-1.8% (big crumbs cash back) + 2% (cash back from Costco executive membership). Subtract approx $10 in fees for the AMEX gift cards and $50 for a Costco executive membership if you don't already have one.

Last edited by HikerT; Jun 25, 2011 at 1:32 pm Reason: Added AMEX GC purchase
Old Jun 24, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BarryL
I was at Costco Seattle today, they had a boat load of them.
Thank you for posting!

Am headed there tomorrow morning.

Just called the store on the afteroon of 6/24, and they said they had "a ton" of them.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dcg543
For Northern CA folks I checked the Almaden Costco in San Jose and they do not have them.
They do now ^ We bought another ~10 last night there.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:49 pm

No AA cards in metro detroit

Called 4 different costcos in the greater metro detroit area. No AA giftcards
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA UA DL
Just bought some at Costco in Glenview, IL. Sales clerk said they had "hundreds" left and the cards were not selling as quickly as expected (at least in that store).
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:37 am

Now In Honolulu

Iwilei Costco in Honolulu now has the AA gift cards.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 7:44 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Just picked up 10 at the Sunnyvale,CA (Lawrence) CostCo. A fellow FTer was with us and picked up 20.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.