Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:54 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jackal
Yes, although you can sometimes get a temporary membership at Costco that's just good for the day (to visit the store and see if you'd like to be a member). IIRC, you'll be subject to a 10% surcharge on any purchases made with that temporary membership.

Membership is available for one year for $50. You can upgrade to Executive membership for $50 more (total $100), which entitles you to a 2% rebate on any purchases. You'll have to do the math to see how many AA gift cards you'd need to buy to offset the cost of membership and/or Executive membership (factoring in the rebate).
If you purchase 18x$300 = $5400, after a 10% discount the cost is $4860, the 2% rebate = $97.20, almost matching the $100 Executive Fee. So 19 will push you over the fee. But, you might purchase other things at Costco--they have very good pricing on lots of things.
[Other things to be considered, while the gc's sit in your drawer, they do not earn interest...]
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by jackal
Yes, although you can sometimes get a temporary membership at Costco that's just good for the day (to visit the store and see if you'd like to be a member). IIRC, you'll be subject to a 10% surcharge on any purchases made with that temporary membership.

Membership is available for one year for $50. You can upgrade to Executive membership for $50 more (total $100), which entitles you to a 2% rebate on any purchases. You'll have to do the math to see how many AA gift cards you'd need to buy to offset the cost of membership and/or Executive membership (factoring in the rebate).
Thanks.^..it looks like it just might worth purchasing the Costco Membership as I have a number of AA flights coming up and the 10% would be certainly worth the price of membership and then some!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:15 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nrr
[Other things to be considered, while the gc's sit in your drawer, they do not earn interest...]
With most investments these days...they also don't earn interest

Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
Originally Posted by sharklover
I just called my local store and they said the closest stores that have them are Orlando.
Does anyone which Orlando location (or are they available at all 3, South Orlando, Altamonte Springs & Winter Park)?

I'm planning on having my brother go buy me some, but don't want to send him to the wrong location.

thanks

Last edited by Illini_Fan; Jul 14, 2011 at 8:15 pm
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by brp
With most investments these days...they also don't earn interest

Cheers.
+1. Also, another thing to consider, you better have accumulated more than 10% interest over the length of time your GCs sit in the drawer to make it a losing proposition.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:33 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
+1. Also, another thing to consider, you better have accumulated more than 10% interest over the length of time your GCs sit in the drawer to make it a losing proposition.
Buy AMR bonds--they pay a very high rate of interest.

Last edited by nrr; Jul 14, 2011 at 9:41 pm
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jacobin777
does one have to be a Costco Member to purchase the cards?
No, you do not need to be a member. As long as you have a Costco cash card you can get into Costco without being a member, but you do need to pay for your purchases using the cash card. Only Costco members can purchase and reload Costco Cash Cards so you'd need to have a Costco member you trust buy you a cash card using your credit card online:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=10024438

Probably just easier to have a member buy you the AA gift cards.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
No, you do not need to be a member. As long as you have a Costco cash card you can get into Costco without being a member, but you do need to pay for your purchases using the cash card. Only Costco members can purchase and reload Costco Cash Cards so you'd need to have a Costco member you trust buy you a cash card using your credit card online:

Alot of headache rather then spending a measly $50 to join, I think.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:35 pm

Yep, but for relatives who don't shop at costco enough to justify the $50 annual membership fee (like my mom) the cash cards are nice alternative to purchasing them an annual membership.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by sharklover
Nope closest is Orlando. You can understand AA's logic by not allowing costco to sell them in Dallas or South Florida because so many people use AA already.
Yeah, sucks for us though. I suppose my next trip up to N Fl I'll have to call ahead to any Costco's on the way and see if they have them in stock.

I wonder if they have them in J'ville? I'll have to check them out.

--wes
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Illini_Fan
Does anyone which Orlando location (or are they available at all 3, South Orlando, Altamonte Springs & Winter Park)?

I'm planning on having my brother go buy me some, but don't want to send him to the wrong location.

thanks
Best thing to do is to call one of them give them the item number and they will tell you how many they have and how many the stores near them have.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott

Probably just easier to have a member buy you the AA gift cards.
Yep, but for relatives who don't shop at costco enough to justify the $50 annual membership fee (like my mom) the cash cards are nice alternative to purchasing them an annual membership.
Thanks for the info...

I think I would just spend the $50 and become a member as it wouldn't be a problem for us purchasing things at Costco.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by zman
Anything in the Boston area
I did not see in Danvers or Everett a couple weeks ago?
Nothing in Waltham when I visited last night. Also contacted Danvers and Dedham with no success. I contacted customer care and suggested they carry them in the area and they took down my information and will follow up. I'll report back when I hear anything but in the interim encourage others to contact them at (800)-774-2678
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:22 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Nothing in Waltham when I visited last night. Also contacted Danvers and Dedham with no success.
(I was in the Waltham Costco last night, too. I wander through there at least once a week, so I'll report back if/when I see AA cards sold there. )
Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I scored 20 of them at the Rego Park (Queens), NY location yesterday, but was told by the Commack, NY store that they do not carry them.

Last edited by Blumie; Jul 17, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.