Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PVG / Shanghai Pudong Int'l. Airport oneworld Lounges (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2015, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zoombee
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
PVG / Shanghai Pudong International Airport oneworld Lounges

Link to PVG airport information on aa.com

Link to PVG airport website

Link to oneworld website Lounge Access and Lounge Finder tool

Terminal 2 Cathay Pacific and DragonAir Lounges

HOURS: 06.00 - 20:55 daily

NOTE: Eligible passengers departing on Cathay Pacific, DragonAir, American Airlines, British Airways and Finnair are directed here.

Amenities:
  • Complimentary WiFi
    • Complimentary PCs
      • Food and beverage

Link to review with photos by athlete Travel Sisters

Terminal 2 Shanghai Airport VIP (Contract) Lounge

NOTE: Operated by a third party. May be used only by eligible customers when travelling on: Qantas, Qatar Airways. Accepts payment for two hour access from others.

HOURS: 06:00-02:00

AMENITIES:
  • Complimentary WiFi
    • Food and beverage service
      • Smoking room
        • Showers

Terminal 1 SAA (Contact) Lounge

HOURS: 06.00 - 18:00 daily (unchecked since JAL Sakura lounge closed)

NOTE: Eligible passengers departing on Japan Airlines are directed here.

Amenities:
  • Complimentary WiFi
    • Food and beverage

Terminal 1 China Eastern (Contract) Lounge

NOTE: Operated by China Eastern. May be used only by eligible customers, including when travelling on: Malaysia Airlines, Sri Lankan Airlines, Qantas. Large two floor lounge with first class lounge to the right of reception.

HOURS: Daily: Until last flight departure

AMENITIES:
  • Wifi
  • Food and beverage service
  • Showers

This is the current thread on PVG oneworld lounges. AA moved its operations to Terminal 2 in March 2009 and provides first and business class passengers with access to the CX (Cathay Pacific) / KA (Dragonair) lounge, which opened in April 2008 when CX moved to the new terminal. Prior to that, AA operated out of T1 and provided premium passengers with access to a contract lounge. As such, several pre-March 2009 posts in this thread are outdated.

More information on the now defunct JL lounge can be found by searching {PVG lounge} and the trailing thread containing outdated information from this thread. However, note that those threads contain outdated information about the CX lounge and AA contract lounge.

Print Wikipost

PVG / Shanghai Pudong Int'l. Airport oneworld Lounges (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Is the liquid restrictions out of PVG just for US bound flights? Thanks.
You can not bring liquids through PVG security as in the U.S. (international and domestic).
U can buy Duty free liquid if NOT going to the U.S. (do not know if there are other countries (liike Canada) where there are xtra gate checks, but you better have a NON Stop flight.
For example if u are changing planes in HKG you can not get through security with liquids. I have seen lot's of expensive Liquor confiscated at HKG.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by zman
You can not bring liquids through PVG security as in the U.S. (international and domestic).
U can buy Duty free liquid if NOT going to the U.S. (do not know if there are other countries (liike Canada) where there are xtra gate checks, but you better have a NON Stop flight.
For example if u are changing planes in HKG you can not get through security with liquids. I have seen lot's of expensive Liquor confiscated at HKG.
Thanks. I think I over interpreted the above comments to mean all liquids, including small amounts like toothpaste, meaning that I would have to check a bag. Im flying PVG-LHR-FCO so the US issue doesnt apply in any case.

Also, is BA in the same area as the CX lounge, or more precisely, since I will be a OW Emerald on BA in WT plus would the CX lounge also be the one I would use out of PVG? Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 2:28 pm

Thanks. I think I over interpreted the above comments to mean all liquids, including small amounts like toothpaste, meaning that I would have to check a bag. Im flying PVG-LHR-FCO so the US issue doesnt apply in any case.

Also, is BA in the same area as the CX lounge, or more precisely, since I will be a OW Emerald on BA in WT plus would the CX lounge also be the one I would use out of PVG? Thanks.
I have had no issue bringing small liquids through PVG (100 ml/3oz) in a 1qt/1l plastic bag.
BA uses a 3rd party lounge at PVG that u MUST get an invite card from at Check-in to have access.
I would post at the BA forum to see what they actually use or u should use the CX/KA lounge in T2.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 2:30 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by zman

I have had no issue bringing small liquids through PVG (100 ml/3oz) in a 1qt/1l plastic bag.
BA uses a 3rd party lounge at PVG that u MUST get an invite card from at Check-in to have access.
I would post at the BA forum to see what they actually use or u should use the CX/KA lounge in T2.
Thanks. Is BA also inT2?
Old Apr 4, 2010, 2:41 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Thanks. Is BA also inT2?
BA is in T2
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:03 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I got an invite to the SAL First lounge from BA when I checked in, I suppose because I am an EXP. It is nice, not a lot of food, but quiet, free WiFi and very bright and airy. Also not very crowded, which is nice.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for posting your experience. ^

Folks do need to remember that they are not guaranteed admittance based on oneworld status in contract lounges.

Thanks for all the advice. I got an invite to the SAL First lounge from BA when I checked in, I suppose because I am an EXP. It is nice, not a lot of food, but quiet, free WiFi and very bright and airy. Also not very crowded, which is nice.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver

Folks do need to remember that they are not guaranteed admittance based on oneworld status in contract lounges.

Yes. I was surprised. But not as surprised as I was by the op up to Club World.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver/1MM, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PCR Platinum, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver

This was the point I was going to make...right until I reached the end of the thread and saw that I had been beaten to it. I had the misfortune of being reminded about the limitations of access to contract lounges when I connected through PVG last weekend en route to ICN on Asiana (Star Alliance -- there are no oneworld PVG-ICN nonstops). Neither my oneworld Emerald status nor the fact that I arrived on an AA J ticket made any difference to the gatekeepers at the Dragonair lounge -- I wasn't departing on a oneworld carrier so I was denied entry. Unfortunately, the EXP line wasn't helpful when I called them for clarification -- they gave me wrong information (saying I [I]should[I] have been allowed in! I had to come here for the right answer.

Also, an earlier post by law53 alluded to lounge access when connecting to a domestic flight. That won't be possible for any lounge in Terminal 2 since the domestic flights leave from Terminal 1 (and international arrivals are shunted to Customs and then spit out landside). I've only made a domestic connection through PVG once and didn't have time for lounge-hunting, so I don't know if there are any oneworld-accessible lounges in T1.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Question... (Wondering if this has changed in 4 years with - I think - more AA flights to PVG...) I'm flying out of PVG this fall in AA F. Is there a good international first class lounge in this airport that we get access to?

The AA website just lists one option - a KA/CX lounge for everybody and their brother. (Everything from a Plat flying coach on up...) I imagine that's a perfectly fine lounge - just wondering if there's a second option for F pax only.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:11 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
The above post has been moved out of the resuscitated 2006 thread and into this more recent/germane thread. /Moderator
Old May 4, 2011, 9:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by pinniped
Question... (Wondering if this has changed in 4 years with - I think - more AA flights to PVG...) I'm flying out of PVG this fall in AA F. Is there a good international first class lounge in this airport that we get access to?

The AA website just lists one option - a KA/CX lounge for everybody and their brother. (Everything from a Plat flying coach on up...) I imagine that's a perfectly fine lounge - just wondering if there's a second option for F pax only.
Unfortunately it's the KA/CX lounge which is single class. No F lounge to speak of.
Old May 4, 2011, 10:49 pm

I imagine that's a perfectly fine lounge - just wondering if there's a second option for F pax only.
The lounge's carpet leaves much to be desired, such as a good vacuuming.
Old May 4, 2011, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I would imagine the amount of paid F traffic is low. AA has ORD and LAX but that's only 2 per day. Most CX/KA flights have no F cabin (though some do). JL appears to have little or no F availability to PVG.

The main driver of F lounge availability appears to be paid F traffic, not elite traffic. So having no OW F lounge at PVG seems to make sense.
Old May 5, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
I was just there last night actually. Compared to The Wing/Pier at HKG or BA First at T5 (or even an FL), not by a long shot. As stated below the only real OW F through PVG are the 2 AA flights. It's 'nice,' very spacious, on the top floor of the terminal with an open air ceiling to the voluminous terminal. But really created for high volume CX/KA PVG-HKG shuttle types.

Just think of it as a fairly well appointed international AC. Free booze, coffee/tea, I think some noodles/dumplings, but no 'real food' that you'd expect in a dedicated F lounge. One thing I noticed this last trip to HKG & PVG was how no one checks in early. We were constantly late by US standards and were always treated as if we were early. I think that attitude of turning up late leads to much less utilization of the lounges and thus a more spacious feel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.