Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA introduces Flight Credit Wallet (Aug 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:34 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

I didn't see this posted, and it's very new (sorry if I missed it). I got a check-in call from the Executive Office today and he mentioned a new wallet feature. I looked and the one flight I cancelled in February was there. When I looked, I saw just the credit for my part (I paid for both, but my wife was the travel companion). Figured the rest was in her account. when I experimented with applying the credit, it brought me to a booking screen and showed the whole credit.

Apparently one can use up to 8 credits. I only have the one, so couldn't test.

One oddity is that the trip I happened to experiment with was less than thew credit and there was an indication that I would be mailed a voucher for the difference. I would have expected it to remain in the Wallet (and maybe it would, despite the message). If not, this would be a negative.

Overall, it's a nice (and long overdue) feature that looks good at first blush.

As expected, AA Vacations credits (which are done a different way) was not there and hat's still a call.

Also nice to get a check-in call from Exec Office. Especially as I coincidentally have my first AA flight in a long time tomorrow

Award, of course, as I don't need to requal this year

Cheers.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by brp
Overall, it's a nice (and long overdue) feature that looks good at first blush.
Agreed! FIrst time seeing this and glad they finally implemented it!
Old Aug 14, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by flightrisk
Agreed! FIrst time seeing this and glad they finally implemented it!
I also agree that this feature giving visibility to your credits is excellent. It is something I had suggested as an improvement to the AA wallet a few months ago. I imagine this will save a lot of phone calls into AA from people asking about their credits.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Late is better than never. Faster & more efficient and has to be fewer errors.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
About time...always a retro aspect of AA operations compared to competitors like DL and SW. Assume management made a calculation if they made the process of using credits more difficult then some would expire unused.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No matter how credits are issued, industry types suggest that breakage runs 30-35%. Lots of people don't travel much, others forget, can't be bothered or think it's a gimmick. Others travel on business and the accounting and tax issues when different clients / cost centers are involved is thought not to be worth it.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Has this wallet feature been rolled out to everyone? I just looked at my acct, checking my wallet, and nothing is showing. I have a credit for a flight cancelled (by me) in March. It would be nice to have that credit showing online vs. having to call in to use.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
No matter how credits are issued, industry types suggest that breakage runs 30-35%. Lots of people don't travel much, others forget, can't be bothered or think it's a gimmick. Others travel on business and the accounting and tax issues when different clients / cost centers are involved is thought not to be worth it.
And your point is...

Regards
Old Aug 14, 2020, 9:57 am

Is this found under the existing Wallet where coupons and miles activity appear, or somewhere else? Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rrgg
Is this found under the existing Wallet where coupons and miles activity appear, or somewhere else? Thanks.
In the Wallet.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 11:08 am

I must have a half dozen tickets on AA (wife does too) that were cancelled because of Covid. None of them appear in my "wallet". Delta, on the other hand, has 4 trips of mine, and all are readily displayed in the "wallet", with ticket value and ticket numbers. So DL has run rings around AA in this category for a long time. Nothing new there.

IMHO, the most important defensive thing one can do for a ticket that is not being used is to right the 13-digit tick number down. In duplicate somewhere if necessary. I have found it the single most important thing to have when trying to get a prior ticket re-used or refunded. In almost all cases, the agent on the phone (who is often working from home) can retrieve the previous ticket and one can move on with the discussion.

Sum up: Nice to see AA waking up and claiming to put these tickets in a "wallet". Next goal is to get them to do it consistently and have their re-application for use in future ticketing go forward without delays or glitches
Old Aug 14, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by scubadu
And your point is...

Regards
I think the point is people always parrot the "make credits harder to use will make people use them significantly less" and they're realizing making the credits easier to track and use doesn't really increase utilization rate. Meanwhile, it'll probably decrease number of phone calls asking about credits/refunds and handling rebookings. I find the information interesting and informative.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Wow, this is great. Thanks OP; see my one credit. Really nice.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Interesting. I didn't know about this feature, but just look in the app and see 4 credits, including one I had forgotten about.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:21 am

Update from my last post a few days ago: When I looked at my AA account this AM, all my trips that had been cancelled were now tabulated and reclassified as "flight credit" with the record locators, ticket numbers, expiration of the credit, all data from the original ticketing, and a pathway to using the value of the credit to booking a new ticket.

Checked my wife's account, and they had hers all nailed down, too, with no omissions.

While somewhat later than other carriers (such as DL and AS), I do commend AA for getting this done. Should be a big help to all of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.