Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The U.K. Air Passenger Duty / APD is "a duty of Excise which is levied on the carriage, from a UK airport, of chargeable passengers on chargeable aircraft... The amount due is dependent on the final destination and class of travel of the chargeable passenger... The reduced rates apply where the passengers are carried in the lowest class of travel on any flight unless the seat pitch exceeds 1.016 metres (40 inches), in which case, whether there is one or more than one class of travel the standard rates apply." Link. Those in transit from other countries are exempt.

As of 01 Apr 2012, the APD is:
  • Band A (0 to 2,000 miles): Reduced £13, Standard £26
  • Band B (2,001 to 4,000 miles) (e.g. USA, Canada): Reduced £65, Standard £130
  • Band C (4,001 to 6,000 miles): Reduced £81, Standard £162
  • Band D (over 6,000 miles): Reduced £92, Standard £184
As of 01 Apr 2013 will be:
  • Band A (0 to 2,000 miles) £13 Reduced, £26 Standard (no change)
  • Band B (2,001 to 4,000 miles) (e.g. USA, Canada): Reduced £62, Standard £134
  • Band C (4,001 to 6,000 miles): Reduced £83, Standard £166
  • Band D (over 6,000 miles): Reduced £94, Standard £188
Print Wikipost

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty and increases again - Apr 1 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
I would guess that the folks on FT who have actually successfully done this is more than a tiny subset as the vast majority of people likely have no clue about this whatsoever.
I have done this, but I agree that the air is quite rarefied here. It was done through a travel agent, not AA, however AA did reissue the APD-exempt ticket for an SWU and the tariff desk did keep it APD-exempt.

It's a royal pain and now simply avoid LHR for anything but a through fare; that's my recommendation to all.

BTW, this is my post #8,000. Do I get a bunch of SWUs for crossing this threshold?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:45 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hillrider
Nope, that's not the case, as the regulation state with an "or"'
A good travel agent will either build a single itinerary (PNR) with all segments in it, issuing both, separate, tickets from it (segment select), or build the downstream itinerary adding a "YK" inbound segment to it, annotating its ticket number etc, before issuing the APD-exempt ticket from it.

Either way meet this requirement.
Why, then, does it seem to difficult for AA agents (even EXP agents) to do this on a combined revenue/award itinerary? My understanding is that they can't do this in one PNR. Can this "YK" method work for a combined revenue/award itinerary? Is this all that needs to be suggested to get it to work?

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Why, then, does it seem to difficult for AA agents (even EXP agents) to do this on a combined revenue/award itinerary? My understanding is that they can't do this in one PNR. Can this "YK" method work for a combined revenue/award itinerary? Is this all that needs to be suggested to get it to work?
Lack of training and/or policy and/or user interface restrictions would be my guesses. Only guesses, though.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
A good travel agent will either build a single itinerary (PNR) with all segments in it, issuing both, separate, tickets from it (segment select), or build the downstream itinerary adding a "YK" inbound segment to it, annotating its ticket number etc, before issuing the APD-exempt ticket from it.

Either way meet this requirement.
Could you clarify: to do this must both flights have been booked through the same travel agent?

Is a YK segment an "inactive" copy of the segment in the other PNR?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lack of training and/or policy and/or user interface restrictions would be my guesses. Only guesses, though.
I also just thought of fraud prevention when AA can't verify the veracity of the inbound ticket; I can see people PhotoShopping fake e-receipts in order to avoid the APD, and AA ending up holding the bag. A travel agent generally has issued both tickets or will accept an e-receipt from a longtime customer they trust is not committing fraud.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nbevan
Could you clarify: to do this must both flights have been booked through the same travel agent?
See post above re: fraud.

Originally Posted by nbevan
Is a YK segment an "inactive" copy of the segment in the other PNR?
Yes. It's used to produce invoice/itinerary documents and may also be used for other record keeping purposes. Some airlines (like AA) also use them for checking bags through onto a connection that's on other PNRs, for example.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

No it doesn't; the "or" only occurs within the section detailing requirements of a conjunction ticket , not as a separate option

It states clearly

The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption

Same ticket : No problem
Conjunction tickets : It must also meet one of the 2 criteria specified

Just having an information segment will not conjoin 2 unrelated tickets , they are still 2 separate tickets.

From "IATA general conditions of carriage"

A conjunction ticket means a ticket issued to a passenger in conjunction with another ticket which together constitute a single contract of carriage

( a copy at http://www.transportrecht.de/transpo...1145517747.pdf or , if happy to read a spreadsheet there is one on the IATA website http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/passeng...y-of-terms.xls )

Where the 2 tickets have been sold separately, they can never form a single contract; each has its own

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 30, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Old Aug 25, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Refund of APD for canceled itinerary?

A colleague did not fly her roundtrip LHR-BOS-LHR itinerary a few months ago (purchased on aa.com, all on AA metal). Canceled the nonrefundable ticket before departure.

Now want to apply the residual value of the old ticket to a new reservation (minus the change fee, of course).

The old ticket used eVIPs both ways (Y to J), so extra APD was payable out of LHR. The new ticket is in Y, not using any eVIPs.

When I called AA today to apply the residual value of the old ticket to the new reservation that was on hold, I was told that the extra APD which was paid alongside the old ticket's eVIP is not refundable, as it has already been sent to the British government.

It's not a huge amount of money, so no big deal, but just wondering if this sounds correct? I have been able to have taxes refunded in the past, but I've never tried with the APD specifically, when the flight was not flown. Should my colleague be able to get the eVIP APD back if the new reservation is in Y?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 1:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
A colleague did not fly her roundtrip LHR-BOS-LHR itinerary a few months ago (purchased on aa.com, all on AA metal). Canceled the nonrefundable ticket before departure.

Now want to apply the residual value of the old ticket to a new reservation (minus the change fee, of course).

The old ticket used eVIPs both ways (Y to J), so extra APD was payable out of LHR. The new ticket is in Y, not using any eVIPs.

When I called AA today to apply the residual value of the old ticket to the new reservation that was on hold, I was told that the extra APD which was paid alongside the old ticket's eVIP is not refundable, as it has already been sent to the British government.

It's not a huge amount of money, so no big deal, but just wondering if this sounds correct? I have been able to have taxes refunded in the past, but I've never tried with the APD specifically, when the flight was not flown. Should my colleague be able to get the eVIP APD back if the new reservation is in Y?
I don't believe APD is considered due until a passenger goes out on a flight, so if someone doesn't go, their APD should not have been remitted to HMRC. Even if it were, a phone rep wouldn't know the intricacies of AA's remittance of APD to the British government--that happens well above the call centre level. Perhaps the agent didn't understand how it works? I'd submit a refund request for the ticket number associated with the SWU upgrade and see what happens. From where I sit, you should be owed that money back.

In fact, the original ticket minus the $150 change fee would have included the "reduced" rate of APD, which would have been included as part of the residual value offered on the unused ticket (it is generally equal to the amount of extra APD owed when an upgrade clears). So if they offered you residual value minus only the change fee, and didn't keep that portion of the APD, they shouldn't keep the added portion either.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
I booked a separate AY ticket entering LHR within 24 hours of my business flight departing LHR (SWU upgraded). When the upgrade hit, I was charged the APD. I then called AA to explain my case and give them my AY ticket #. In the end, I was "refunded"--i.e. issued a paper voucher for the amount of the APD.

I think the AA agent could see my AY ticket due to AY being part of OW.

Also, I believe the agent had to reissue my upgraded ticket. After she issued me the new ticket, I had to reconfirm seats and print a new boarding pass.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 8:06 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by eethan
I booked a separate AY ticket entering LHR within 24 hours of my business flight departing LHR (SWU upgraded). When the upgrade hit, I was charged the APD. I then called AA to explain my case and give them my AY ticket #. In the end, I was "refunded"--i.e. issued a paper voucher for the amount of the APD.

I think the AA agent could see my AY ticket due to AY being part of OW.
Being part of OW shouldn't be relevant to the ruling but, as you say, probably helped with the visibility. This is one of the good stories. What were some of the things you said to appeal your case- maybe it will help the rest of us in the future? Did the agent "appeal" to any higher authority or just make the decision in this case?

Thanks for reporting.

Cheers.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by eethan
Did you get a refund of the entire amount of APD you paid, or just the difference between the reduced and standard rates you paid when your upgrade cleared? Seems to me if they're giving you that back, they should give it all back.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Inside 24 Hr UK Transfer- Separate PRN's- Avoiding ADP

This is just an FYI.. I have booked some travel where I have separate Record Locators for the TATL and then our intra-Europe flights (saved a ton of $$'s). Since we have upgrades on the return TATL flight from LHR, they charged the ADP in advance.

I called the EXP Desk to see if there was anything we could do to get it refunded if we had proof of arriving into the UK and departing inside the 24hr period that triggers the ADP.. And yes there is!

We basically provided them our e-ticket numbers of the inbound flight (luckily on another OW carrier), they were able to confirm the timing and updated our records to reflect the information. The only hitch is we need to call them again within 72hrs of the arriving flight to LHR when we do travel, so as to prove no changes have happened to our itinerary and arrival time. But it's cash back, nevertheless!

Last edited by teemuflyer; Sep 6, 2012 at 9:30 am Reason: meant to say Record Locators, not PRNs, although both are true
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
This is just an FYI.. I have booked some travel where I have separate Record Locators for the TATL and then our intra-Europe flights (saved a ton of $$'s). Since we have upgrades on the return TATL flight from LHR, they charged the ADP in advance.

I called the EXP Desk to see if there was anything we could do to get it refunded if we had proof of arriving into the UK and departing inside the 24hr period that triggers the ADP.. And yes there is!

We basically provided them our e-ticket numbers of the inbound flight (luckily on another OW carrier), they were able to confirm the timing and updated our records to reflect the information. The only hitch is we need to call them again within 72hrs of the arriving flight to LHR when we do travel, so as to prove no changes have happened to our itinerary and arrival time. But it's cash back, nevertheless!
I've also done this but booked both a paid ticket on AA connecting to an award on BA out of LHR at the same time (different tickets) and didn't have to pay the APD. I think this technically doesn't meet the criteria (forget the language but they have to be in the same book (paper) or linked electronically) but it appears AA can avoid charging the APD.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer

I've merged this post in with the APD thread as this topic has been discussed and would be of value to those following this thread.

Two other points of note:

• You're referring to APD, not ADP
  • You're referring to PNRs, not PRNs

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.