Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The U.K. Air Passenger Duty / APD is "a duty of Excise which is levied on the carriage, from a UK airport, of chargeable passengers on chargeable aircraft... The amount due is dependent on the final destination and class of travel of the chargeable passenger... The reduced rates apply where the passengers are carried in the lowest class of travel on any flight unless the seat pitch exceeds 1.016 metres (40 inches), in which case, whether there is one or more than one class of travel the standard rates apply." Link. Those in transit from other countries are exempt.

As of 01 Apr 2012, the APD is:
  • Band A (0 to 2,000 miles): Reduced 13, Standard 26
  • Band B (2,001 to 4,000 miles) (e.g. USA, Canada): Reduced 65, Standard 130
  • Band C (4,001 to 6,000 miles): Reduced 81, Standard 162
  • Band D (over 6,000 miles): Reduced 92, Standard 184
As of 01 Apr 2013 will be:
  • Band A (0 to 2,000 miles) 13 Reduced, 26 Standard (no change)
  • Band B (2,001 to 4,000 miles) (e.g. USA, Canada): Reduced 62, Standard 134
  • Band C (4,001 to 6,000 miles): Reduced 83, Standard 166
  • Band D (over 6,000 miles): Reduced 94, Standard 188
Print Wikipost

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty and increases again - Apr 1 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Unfortunately, your argument is insufficient because LHR IS your final destination / turnaround point. As others have said, if it were BRU etc. you would be exempt of the United Kingdom's Air Passenger Duty, but in this instance you are subject to it.

You may read the full terms and conditions of the APD on HM Revenue and Customs website on this page.
In particular:

4.3.1 Flights arriving from and departing to the same country
For international connections where the airport of arrival of flight B is in the same country as the airport of departure of flight A, the flights are not regarded as being connected. For example:

Paris to London, then London to Marseille this flight would not be regarded as being connected and 11 or 22 APD would be due depending on class of travel occupied between London and Marseille (Band A).
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Does anyone have any experience with the additional APD being charged for an SWU on an LHR departure (not connection) when the upgrade is requested last minute? I can only recall one time that I've upgraded with an SWU ex-LHR and this didn't clear until just before departure and I wasn't charged the APD. Was this a mistake or is there some exclusion when the upgrade is last minute (such as it being classed as an involuntary upgrade)? I'm wondering what would happen if I requested the upgrade in the FL after check-in (assuming that it clears).
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:18 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The latest increase in the APD took effect today. Dig a little deeper for your trips to the UK.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:58 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by HNL
The latest increase in the APD took effect today. Dig a little deeper for your trips to the UK.
Or stop visiting.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:28 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Spiff
Or stop visiting.
Some may choose to stop visiting places that they enjoy because of a few extra bucks. Others will not.

Of course, there are some who don't consider the UK worth visiting at all...but we're not in that category

Cheers.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Some may choose to stop visiting places that they enjoy because of a few extra bucks. Others will not.

Of course, there are some who don't consider the UK worth visiting at all...but we're not in that category

Cheers.
Or they fly to AMS and they take a boat to LHR.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Or they fly to AMS and they take a boat to LHR.
I'm not a Sky Team kind of person, so that's not really option for me.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Been there, done that, plenty of other places on the planet that I've yet to see and empty my wallet in.

For recurring visits, the UK's loss is HKG/SIN's gain.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Been there, done that, plenty of other places on the planet that I've yet to see and empty my wallet in.

And BKK
Old Apr 1, 2012, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Just fly into LON, but take the train out (to PAR or BRU, for example). No APD.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Whew, just in time for the olympics. i am sure that is just a random event and not connected.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:34 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True. I do go to a number of other places, but the UK seems to hold a special charm. Whether just staying in London, or going further abroad, it's just worth it to me. And the hassle of "fly into LON and take a train to somewhere else" just to save a few bucks is just not worth it to me.

Cheers.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
True. I do go to a number of other places, but the UK seems to hold a special charm. Whether just staying in London, or going further abroad, it's just worth it to me. And the hassle of "fly into LON and take a train to somewhere else" just to save a few bucks is just not worth it to me.

Cheers.
It's not a few bucks.
It's more like 100+.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:50 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
It's not a few bucks.
It's more like 100+.
True. But when I factor in the cost of the train tickets and what mine and mrs. brp's time is worth per hour...it's not worth it. To each his/her own.

Cheers.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking at the document, I'm surprised they still haven't spelt Ottawa right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.