FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK APD / Air Passenger Duty and increases again - Apr 1 2012
Old Aug 25, 2012, 1:24 am
ExpatExp

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Refund of APD for canceled itinerary?

A colleague did not fly her roundtrip LHR-BOS-LHR itinerary a few months ago (purchased on aa.com, all on AA metal). Canceled the nonrefundable ticket before departure.

Now want to apply the residual value of the old ticket to a new reservation (minus the change fee, of course).

The old ticket used eVIPs both ways (Y to J), so extra APD was payable out of LHR. The new ticket is in Y, not using any eVIPs.

When I called AA today to apply the residual value of the old ticket to the new reservation that was on hold, I was told that the extra APD which was paid alongside the old ticket's eVIP is not refundable, as it has already been sent to the British government.

It's not a huge amount of money, so no big deal, but just wondering if this sounds correct? I have been able to have taxes refunded in the past, but I've never tried with the APD specifically, when the flight was not flown. Should my colleague be able to get the eVIP APD back if the new reservation is in Y?