Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA: FRA runs and obnoxious fellow MR passengers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:03 am
Original Poster

DYKWIA: FRA runs and obnoxious fellow MR passengers

I have taken several FRA runs recently and have encountered many people who are doing MR's on this route. Some of the people that I have met have been very polite and wonderful to talk to. There are others whose behaviour is down right rude and embarrassing. I have overheard mileage runners who:
1)Plead with the gate agents that they should get an upgrade due to the simple fact that they have 4,000,000 life time miles.
2)A person who brags about flying to Asia on CX every month and he is hot stuff (I have to wonder if he is flying to Asia so often, why is he doing a MR in coach on AA?)
3)People who give false and incorrect information to their fellow passengers about frequent flyer mileage programs.
4)Lots of people who puff up their feathers and want special treatment for the sole reason that they have status and are on a MR.

For all of you who blend in with the masses and act in a friendly and pleasant manner--THANK YOU.
For all of you who fit into the other category, please stop and think of how you are coming across to your fellow passengers.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:30 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Tango
3)People who give false and incorrect information to their fellow passengers about frequent flyer mileage programs.
Do you get the impression that they're doing this on purpose to mislead others- either to decrease competition or just to be jerks...or do they really seem to not know? The first case truly sucks and those people should be killed. In the latter case, they've just become FT

Cheers.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Are these "status" members unique to FRA MRs? I see it all the time from alot of elites. Its odd to me that you would be mad about not getting an upgrade, if you followed the proper steps of signing up for the upgrade early, checking in early, and in the worst case, using one of your oh so valuable eVIPs!

Just follow the rules, and you will have a great time!
Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by brp
Do you get the impression that they're doing this on purpose to mislead others- either to decrease competition or just to be jerks...or do they really seem to not know? The first case truly sucks and those people should be killed. In the latter case, they've just become FT

Cheers.
If people believe what their seatmate tells them, it's their own fault. I don't believe anything if it's not on the internet .
Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:58 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
When I flew to Buenos Aires in September, I sat behind a passenger who told me he made EXP each year strictly on credit card miles. It was a perk I didn't know about, but he assured me he had been flying AA for a long time and knew all the rules (he also paid 40K for his award ticket compared to the 35K I paid for mine--another feature he apparently was not up to speed on). There's a lot of bad information out there. At least when it comes across here on the AA forum, someone's bound to correct it.

I've never had to beg for an international upgrade, but then I'm careful about plotting out systemwide use when I can clear at booking.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
1)Plead with the gate agents that they should get an upgrade due to the simple fact that they have 4,000,000 life time miles.
2)A person who brags about flying to Asia on CX every month and he is hot stuff (I have to wonder if he is flying to Asia so often, why is he doing a MR in coach on AA?)
4)Lots of people who puff up their feathers and want special treatment for the sole reason that they have status and are on a MR.
And the problem is?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:03 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by vasantn
And the problem is?
No noise-cancelling headphones?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I'm having difficulty seeing any difference between the type of behavior assoc. w/FRA MRs and a typical DYKWIA on a MD80 mid-con.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Originally Posted by bdemaria
I'm having difficulty seeing any difference between the type of behavior assoc. w/FRA MRs and a typical DYKWIA on a MD80 mid-con.
95% of my flights are on MD80s and it doesn't amaze me anymore when I come across people who are downright rude and arrogant. I'm not accusing the GLD members, but a majority of them seem to have a chip on their shoulders.

Another set that annoys me - the ones who get on the MD80s and moan about how much FC sucks in there compared with FC on other planes. Some take this stance when the GA does not let them get in FC for free, others just don't know when to shut their traps.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It lasts much longer (and apparently is not prohibited by the Geneva Convention.) Balloons are not the only objects in the atmosphere driven by hot air. As others almost said, this is one of the best arguments for a book, iPod or other IFE, and sound-blocking earbuds (which also block inanities and baby cries, unlike NR headsets / earbuds.)

Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by JDiver
It lasts much longer
Fair point!
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:29 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
As JDiver points out, there are several more hours' flying time to get really annoyed if you get stuck next to one of them and haven't stocked up on appropriate defensive/deflective equipment...

I also suspect that a critical mass of plonkers might well be exceeded on many, if not most FRA flights at this time of year. Prices are low, there are a few more miles (and a few $$ less tax) than LHR/LGW and there are threads here where people report on their plans for four or five MRs to/from FRA.

If you take a typical ORD-FRA flight then - if it hasn't been cancelled - especially at weekends the chances are that mileage runners alone add up to considerably more people wanting to be in J than can be accommodated in the small number of seats available.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
I have taken several FRA runs recently and have encountered many people who are doing MR's on this route. Some of the people that I have met have been very polite and wonderful to talk to. There are others whose behaviour is down right rude and embarrassing. I have overheard mileage runners who:

For all of you who blend in with the masses and act in a friendly and pleasant manner--THANK YOU.
For all of you who fit into the other category, please stop and think of how you are coming across to your fellow passengers.

Great post. There were two blowhards sitting behind me in the departure lounge on Friday talking about how they are so important to AA and top passengers, etc. As the GA boarded Exec Plat and Plat, and I fought my way through the line past group 1 & 2 people blocking the path, I saw them with their boarding passes out and 'GROUP 6' clear as day.

It may be true that Golds are the worst. I expected a lot when I was gold, and now that I'm Plat, I bow to the ExP and be happy with what I get.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:36 am

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
Slightly diff

On my FRA-ORD return segment over the weekend, I met a guy who already was a seasoned Exec Plat who'd never heard of FT, SeatGuru, ExpertFlyer, etc. I extolled the virtues of FT and hopefully we'll see him on soon enough.

That's my favorite, when I'm on any kind of trip (MR or no) and can tell people about FT.

-S
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I've done the FRA run before and have encountered only pleasant fellow FTers and MRers. I guess it's the luck of the draw. I agree that it's not nice to blab about status and perks within earshot of others who might not appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.