Wiki Posts
Search

Wow is GoGo SlowSlow today

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Wow is GoGo SlowSlow today

SJU-ORD Flight 2078 GoGo is 0.33Mbps download, 0.16Mbps upload. But I won't complain too loudly as I did get my upgrade so I will whine briefly here, and then work on something that does not require much connectivity.

And, yes, did wait until we were over dry land to fire up Gogo. I do know that, much like Marty McFly's hoverboard in "Back to the Future's" sequel, GoGo does not work over water.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Worse than slow I was on a BSI 738 to JFK (aka Escape from ORD) and they never turned on gogo. I asked the FA a couple of times but nada. Kind of sucks when you have the subscription. As they've been jacking up the price, there should be a consequence for failure to deliver service.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton ◆
Originally Posted by JMN57
...there should be a consequence for failure to deliver service.
There is: Cancelling your subscription
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by pdsales
And, yes, did wait until we were over dry land to fire up Gogo. I do know that, much like Marty McFly's hoverboard in "Back to the Future's" sequel, GoGo does not work over water.
I was surprised on a recent Gulf of Mexico crossing on Q100 to get reliable Aircell Gogo service during the entire overwater flight (roughly 125 nm offshore at its farthest point).

http://www.aircell.com/products-serv...ttyPhotoMap/3/
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Nothing new here. Inflight internet has been hit or miss ever since it was launched. It's similar to mobile service that way. It can either work really well or barely. It remains to be seen if it will ultimately succeed or go the way of the air phones. Uptake has been pretty low and they havnt made any money yet providing it.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by grahampros
Nothing new here. Inflight internet has been hit or miss ever since it was launched. It's similar to mobile service that way. It can either work really well or barely. It remains to be seen if it will ultimately succeed or go the way of the air phones. Uptake has been pretty low and they havnt made any money yet providing it.
So you are saying it will either:

(a) succeed; or
(b) not succeed

?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
True but it's pretty clear that would be sub-optimal for both parties. I certainly am happy that the service is there and it is worth it to me. In fact, my complaint reflects its utility to me. I wanted it on the flight.

I understand that in start-up mode, with low penetration of aircraft, one pays for hit-or-miss availability. As penetration has grown, the cost has too. Part of that cost growth is because availability is more hit than miss. So, when a flight, advertised as having availability fails to provide it, there ought to be a mechanism for recognizing that. I'm sure that when I contact GoGo to complain, they'll offer some concession - it just shouldn't require the complaint.

Originally Posted by anotherlad:20615792
...there should be a consequence for failure to deliver service.
There is: Cancelling your subscription
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by DillMan
So you are saying it will either:

(a) succeed; or
(b) not succeed

?
We'll just have see how it goes. No one is making money off in flight wifi yet. It will at least have to break even to survive in the long term.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
True but it's pretty clear that would be sub-optimal for both parties. I certainly am happy that the service is there and it is worth it to me. In fact, my complaint reflects its utility to me. I wanted it on the flight.

I understand that in start-up mode, with low penetration of aircraft, one pays for hit-or-miss availability. As penetration has grown, the cost has too. Part of that cost growth is because availability is more hit than miss. So, when a flight, advertised as having availability fails to provide it, there ought to be a mechanism for recognizing that. I'm sure that when I contact GoGo to complain, they'll offer some concession - it just shouldn't require the complaint.
It seems that the penetration of aircraft these days is pretty high - save for the 763's and Eagle, I haven't been on a non-wifi equipped mainline AA flight in over 130 segments.

The service seems to have slowed down in the last 2 weeks though. Got booted off a couple times on my Monday morning flight.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Aircell Gogo penetration is growing rapidly in the business jet world. Most US purchasers of new planes are selecting it as an option and lots of already in-service bizjets are getting retrofitted with it.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Worse than slow I was on a BSI 738 to JFK (aka Escape from ORD) and they never turned on gogo. I asked the FA a couple of times but nada. Kind of sucks when you have the subscription. As they've been jacking up the price, there should be a consequence for failure to deliver service.
Disputing the charge with your CC on the grounds of paid for service not received is likely to get more attention.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Disputing the charge with your CC on the grounds of paid for service not received is likely to get more attention.
... would absolutely love if they followed that up with a ban from the service.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by austin_modern
... would absolutely love if they followed that up with a ban from the service.
If you purchased a 1 flight pass and gogo didn't work, it might make sense. I would still contact Gogo first though. If you have a monthly pass and it doesn't work on 1 segment, then disputing might create more problems than it is worth.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:59 pm

It's related to the sequester. They had to reallocate the controllers who were routing the data packets to cover for those routing planes on furlough.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
As an aside, I noticed that my just completed MIA-ORD flight was very slow today. Here's hoping for improved speeds on my ORD-DEN leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.