Wiki Posts
Search

Stingy with the Glenlivet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Stingy with the Glenlivet

I'm sitting in 7B on a flight right now and I waited for the F FA to finish her dinner delivery before asking. She passed by me heading to the back and I asked, "did anyone order the Glenlivet?" Her reply was, "I'll have to wait until after the dinner service to find out, since it is an after-dinner drink."

Excuse me? Is she for real? Is this standard practice? I understand there are only two on board, and that F gets first pick, but that's ridiculous. I'm not going to slam down 2 Scotches just before landing. Whatever.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Sometimes my experience has been lazy FAs when asking for CC in Y. They say they don't have it. Other times the FA went to FC to get me one. Kudos to the ones that go out of the way when not stocked in Y. Although listed in the American Way as offered with a little note say "may not be offered on all flights". I wonder if AA would let passengers know what is offered in Domestic Y and what is offered in Domestic FC? So it can be clear cut without having to second guess a FA.

Last edited by Halo117; Feb 24, 2010 at 5:42 pm Reason: added content
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by gozetta
I'm sitting in 7B on a flight right now and I waited for the F FA to finish her dinner delivery before asking. She passed by me heading to the back and I asked, "did anyone order the Glenlivet?" Her reply was, "I'll have to wait until after the dinner service to find out, since it is an after-dinner drink."

Excuse me? Is she for real? Is this standard practice? I understand there are only two on board, and that F gets first pick, but that's ridiculous. I'm not going to slam down 2 Scotches just before landing. Whatever.
I get her point: a lot of people don't order scotch until after dinner. On a dinner flight that's exactly what I would do and yes, as an F passenger, I would be a little irritated if the two bottles were given to Y.

BUT what is the problem is the catering of two Glenlivets for F. That you should complain about. I am making a point to complain after each and every flight where I am denied Glenlivet (either as a refill or a first drink) because of the shortage.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Your post leads me to believe you're seated in Y (either that or J on a 762). If you are in Y, I think the FA's response is entirely reasonable since Glenlivet is considered to be a premium liquor (by AA's standards, certainly not most of ours) offered only in the premium cabins. AA's own beverage list mentions that not all alcohols are available in all cabins.

Look at it this way, how would you feel if you were seated in F and the FA sold one of the only two Glenlivets to a Y pax before you had a chance to order it?

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:42 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sts603

BUT what is the problem is the catering of two Glenlivets for F. That you should complain about. I am making a point to complain after each and every flight where I am denied Glenlivet (either as a refill or a first drink) because of the shortage.
It's not like these are a perishable item and if "over-catered" will go bad. I can't imagine that all the little-bottle space is filled with other stuff and they can't do a better distribution than two bottles of single malt (even if it is the 12-year-old stuff ).

Cheers.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Well, she's certainly not getting one of my "Kudos..Applause" stickers!! If anyone has a clever response in the next 2 hours I'll relay it to her.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:49 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Well, she's certainly not getting one of my "Kudos..Applause" stickers!! If anyone has a clever response in the next 2 hours I'll relay it to her.
Honestly, as mentioned upthread, I don't really find fault with this approach. Given that there are only two (and that's not her fault), it should be held until after dinner for F. That's kinda what F is all about. I can't speak to her attitude in doing this, but the policy seems reasonable to me. F and Y are not created equal.

Cheers.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE: Life is good. She just came by with BOTH of them.

I don't know about others, but I like a good Bourbon too, and when they eliminated Makers Mark from the service replaced with Jim Beam Black I was disappointed. Does anyone know anyone that actually drinks Jim Beam Black? It's actually an OK drink, but surely an off-the-wall replacement for a nice small-batch bourbon like MM. Now I'm just being a snob I guess.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by brp
Honestly, as mentioned upthread, I don't really find fault with this approach. Given that there are only two (and that's not her fault), it should be held until after dinner for F. That's kinda what F is all about. I can't speak to her attitude in doing this, but the policy seems reasonable to me. F and Y are not created equal.

Cheers.
+1
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS

I don't know about others, but I like a good Bourbon too, and when they eliminated Makers Mark from the service replaced with Jim Beam Black I was disappointed. Does anyone know anyone that actually drinks Jim Beam Black? It's actually an OK drink, but surely an off-the-wall replacement for a nice small-batch bourbon like MM. Now I'm just being a snob I guess.
Glad it all worked out for u
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
She was probably on FT while you were writing.

Hi!!!!!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Funny! Is that you up there???

But, seriously, the guys who posted that they would have them hold the liquor until the end of the flight JUST IN CASE someone in F wanted it...REALLY? Isn't that lost revenue for AA? Don't you want AA to be profitable and in business? I think it's reasonable to wait until the drink orders come in, then offer the premium selections (Glenlevit seems to be the only one AFAIK) to Y pax.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:36 pm

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
... Glenlivet is considered to be a premium liquor (by AA's standards, certainly not most of ours)
Got that right.

But then I'm an Isley guy.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Funny! Is that you up there???

But, seriously, the guys who posted that they would have them hold the liquor until the end of the flight JUST IN CASE someone in F wanted it...REALLY? Isn't that lost revenue for AA? Don't you want AA to be profitable and in business? I think it's reasonable to wait until the drink orders come in, then offer the premium selections (Glenlevit seems to be the only one AFAIK) to Y pax.
As one the folks who normally slug down the Glenlivet in F, and on behalf of my FT friends who join me in this endeavor, let me just say - in the true spirit of FT friendship and good nature - give it up. You're not going to win this debate.

But we are all happy for you that you scored the drink of your choice. Cheers^
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT
Got that right.
Then again, regular Glenlivet 12 ends up looking like a fine 21 year single malt when compared against AA's other offering. That Dewar's White Label crap makes me sick just thinking about it.

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.