Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2010 AAdvantage status year repurchase / buyback (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2010, 9:11 am
Original Poster

If they are offering this again, shouldn't it be advertised by now? I think last year they started offering it in January??

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For details, see: http://www.aa.com/eliterenewal

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Jan 26, 2010 at 3:10 pm
Old Jan 23, 2010, 9:48 am

They probably want to make you sweat for a month or so, once you've realised that you miss the benefits then they'll send you an email and then pull in the $$$s.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:12 am

I'd refer you to last year's buy back thread:
2009 AAdvantage status renewal/requalification questions/issues (consolidated)

They announced the last offer mid-December 2008. It's possible that I've missed this year's offer, but I would have expected an abundance of FT threads on the subject, and they've been lacking.

edit: perhaps the real link might be helpful to people. Don't know what forum I was reading.
2009 AAdvantage status year repurchase/buyback (consolidated)

Last edited by kremedonut; Jan 23, 2010 at 12:20 pm Reason: must be illiterate
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by glsebs
If they are offering this again, shouldn't it be advertised by now? I think last year they started offering it in January??
Should be live soon.

http://www.aa.com/eliterenewal
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pdog02
Should be live soon.

http://www.aa.com/eliterenewal
Actually, at least to me, it appears to be live now.

Regards
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Effective January 26, 2010, eligible AAdvantage members will have access to this offer via a link which will provide information on how to renew their AAdvantage elite status. This special offer will be available to members from January 26, 2010, through April 30, 2010.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by 7Continents
Effective January 26, 2010, eligible AAdvantage members will have access to this offer via a link which will provide information on how to renew their AAdvantage elite status. This special offer will be available to members from January 26, 2010, through April 30, 2010.
Fair enough, perhaps I should have stated it differently. What I meant is the "link" provided appears to be live. Generally, in my experience, when someone posts a URL and refers to it being "live" to me that implies the URL will successfully resolve and actually display a webpage or site, as opposed to say a URL error.

So, to be more clear, it appears that the URL is already "live" but the actual offer is not yet live.

Regards
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It would appear those wishing to use this option can begin to do so January 26.

"Enjoy another full year of elite status by renewing your AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold membership for a one-time fee, extending your status through February 28, 2011.

AAdvantage Platinum
40,000 Miles or Points or 48 Segments $549

Less than 40,000 Miles and Points and less than 48 Segments $649

AAdvantage Gold
20,000 Miles or Points or 24 Segments $339

Less than 20,000 Miles and Points and less than 24 Segments $449"
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP 1.99 MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, UA 1K
Seems like a good deal for people who didn't fly much during 2009... Now if they had the option for EXP, I'd probably sit out on some flights this year and save some money... guess that's why it's not offered!
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by gizmodell
Seems like a good deal for people who didn't fly much during 2009... Now if they had the option for EXP, I'd probably sit out on some flights this year and save some money... guess that's why it's not offered!
Can you explain how its a good deal? I'm having issues figuring out how qualifying via 500 bucks for Plat is going to pay off in the end.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by austin_modern
Can you explain how its a good deal? I'm having issues figuring out how qualifying via 500 bucks for Plat is going to pay off in the end.
If you dropped to GLD and know your travel will pick up this year, it could indeed be worth it. 100% mile bonus, better upgrade potential, etc.. etcc. However if you are anticipating another slow year; then not worth the $$.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by bdemaria
If you dropped to GLD and know your travel will pick up this year, it could indeed be worth it. 100% mile bonus, better upgrade potential, etc.. etcc. However if you are anticipating another slow year; then not worth the $$.
I get that - however, if you are anticipating an up year - then it would be more economical to do the platinum challenge. 10k worth of 100% miles bonuses cant be worth 500 bucks.

Im just trying to figure out the math there.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
It seems a good deal, and I would grab it if I'd missed the cutoff.

I'd look at it this way. It's comparable to getting the chance to do an after-the-dealine milage run WITHOUT ACTUALLY HAVING TO FLY. Example: DFW-CDG-DFW would net you 9,896 EQM. If you had done that last-minute in December, would you have been able to get that for $549? And you would have had to sit on a plane all those hours.

You're not getting an redeemable miles by buying up. There's the tradeoff.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Anyone who ended the year with 24 or 48 segments should consider the respective fee a dunce penalty.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Anyone who ended the year with 24 or 48 segments should consider the respective fee a dunce penalty.
LOL... Agreed and well put.

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.