Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Account Suspensions/Closures on Accusations of Fraud/Brokering

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account Suspensions/Closures on Accusations of Fraud/Brokering

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Apologies in advance, as I haven't gone through all the pages of this thread, but given that there is a new sale on miles right now, I'm wondering if I will have trouble doing the following:
1) opening a new AS account (already done)
2) buying upwards of 400,000 AS miles after 14 days, with no prior travel on AS
3) booking 2 RT F awards on EK for my wife and me (different last names)

It seems like some people have had more trouble than others when booking awards for someone else? Does the fact that I am one of the people traveling mean that this shouldn't get flagged?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by frisbfreek
Apologies in advance, as I haven't gone through all the pages of this thread, but given that there is a new sale on miles right now, I'm wondering if I will have trouble doing the following:
1) opening a new AS account (already done)
2) buying upwards of 400,000 AS miles after 14 days, with no prior travel on AS
3) booking 2 RT F awards on EK for my wife and me (different last names)

It seems like some people have had more trouble than others when booking awards for someone else? Does the fact that I am one of the people traveling mean that this shouldn't get flagged?
When I was flagged, doing something similar (except wife has same last name and itinerary was 3 PAX, wife, myself and son), I never was able to get to the point of entering a pax name -- it wouldn't let me continue beyond adding the itinerary to my cart.

That said, my account was flagged but all they wanted was a picture of my driver's license. Just factor in a 1-week delay for that, and if you're never flagged, that's a bonus. I've booked 2 awards since then without a problem (both 3 pax, F Emirates).
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:09 pm

Opened up a new AS account the other day and was approved for 2 personal AS cards. I then plan on transferring 40K SPG miles to that account for a one way EK ticket for myself in the next 6 months or so that would be before the annual fee hits and really not sure if its worth keeping the account open after the redemption and taking the flight. Any advice? Seems like I should be good to go but not 100% sure. Should I pay the AF anyway after redeeming in good faith especially since I get the $100 statement credit anyway?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by FlyGuy24
Opened up a new AS account the other day and was approved for 2 personal AS cards. I then plan on transferring 40K SPG miles to that account for a one way EK ticket for myself in the next 6 months or so that would be before the annual fee hits and really not sure if its worth keeping the account open after the redemption and taking the flight. Any advice? Seems like I should be good to go but not 100% sure. Should I pay the AF anyway after redeeming in good faith especially since I get the $100 statement credit anyway?
Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dgreen12
Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered.
Was trying to remember that quote for this thread. Thanks and I couldn't agree more.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: AS, Hyatt
Figure I might as well ask about my proposed plan to see if I would be flagged.

Flew with AS back in April (when I opened my account) and have ~1600 miles with them. I have another flight booked with them in two weeks (though its a codeshare that I bought from AA website).

My plan is to try the two browser trick with BofA to get 50k miles, then purchase the remaining 20k to book CX F to Asia for myself. From reading this thread I am a bit hesitant to attempt this and feel it would be safer to go with the 25k/5k targeted bonus, buy the remaining 40k miles to try booking the CX F. Think my account might get flagged?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
There is no "two browser trick."
Old Oct 11, 2015, 3:50 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by kev909

Flew with AS back in April (when I opened my account) and have ~1600 miles with them. I have another flight booked with them in two weeks (though its a codeshare that I bought from AA website).

My plan is to try the two browser trick with BofA to get 50k miles, then purchase the remaining 20k to book CX F to Asia for myself. From reading this thread I am a bit hesitant to attempt this and feel it would be safer to go with the 25k/5k targeted bonus, buy the remaining 40k miles to try booking the CX F. Think my account might get flagged?
I don't know what they'd do, but this is fraud. You'd certainly deserve to have your account closed.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
....My plan is to try the two browser trick with BofA to get 50k miles, then purchase the remaining 20k to book CX F to Asia for myself. From reading this thread I am a bit hesitant to attempt this and feel it would be safer to go with the 25k/5k targeted bonus, buy the remaining 40k miles to try booking the CX F. Think my account might get flagged?
Originally Posted by uwr
I don't know what they'd do, but this is fraud. You'd certainly deserve to have your account closed.
What part do you feel is fraud?

OPTION 1 by OP: Getting two credit cards?

OPTION 2 by OP : Getting one card and buying 40k miles?

Both?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by uwr
This isn't fraud. There's no "two browser trick." I've signed up for two AS BOA Visas at the same time. I use both for different expenses quite regularly.

And signing up for a CC and buying the remaining additional miles? Also...not fraud.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:27 am

Have 2 cards open from last month ----one business and one personal card --Need a 2nd personal card -

1) how long do I need to wait to safely get the third card
2) do I need to cancel my open cards
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by SPLP007
Have 2 cards open from last month ----one business and one personal card --Need a 2nd personal card -

1) how long do I need to wait to safely get the third card
2) do I need to cancel my open cards
I have 2 cards open when I was approved for a third so the answer to (2) is no. Most people think 90 days is a good gap between apps if you don't have too many inquires but I don't think there is a definitive answer.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:46 am
Suspended

I think you'll go through all that work only to find out that CX F flights are impossible to find.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ou81two
I think you'll go through all that work only to find out that CX F flights are impossible to find.
Is that the case using AS miles for some reason? It's most certainly not the case with CX F awards using Advantage miles, at present.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Is that the case using AS miles for some reason? It's most certainly not the case with CX F awards using Advantage miles, at present.
Not in my experience, but people are welcome to their opinions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.