Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Account Suspensions/Closures on Accusations of Fraud/Brokering

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account Suspensions/Closures on Accusations of Fraud/Brokering

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by ajc1970
No clue, but I'd guess it's that I'd never flown the airline, purchased a huge chunk of miles out of the blue, and then tried to book with them only a few days later.

Forgot to check back in with this -- yesterday their support team emailed me to let me know they'd unlocked my account.

Happy ending on my side -- the availability was still there on the tickets I was eyeing, and last night I was able to grab 3 first class seats SFO/DXB/FCO.
Very happy for you. Have a great time flying Emirates F. Only downside is that you might have spoiled your family for good. How can you ever go back to coach after this
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:58 pm

Alaska is engaging in dishonest, deceptive scam and business practice of auditing accounts , closing accounts, canceling awards. They would cite some violations in T&C that Never existed in credit card or Alaska. Their only defense is " we can do whatever we want with miles". I am sure this won't end well for Alaska.

If your mile is taken away or account is audited, fight back & get your miles back.

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Aug 22, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Alaska is engaging in dishonest, deceptive scam and business practice of auditing accounts , closing accounts, canceling awards. They would cite some violations in T&C that Never existed in credit card or Alaska. Their only defense is " we can do whatever we want with miles". I am sure this won't end well for Alaska.

If your mile is taken away or account is audited, fight back & get your miles back.
AA does the same but not with the miles earned from CCs. They even have AA reps who meet certain passengers at the airport inquiring how they know the person who gifted them SWUs or miles.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
AA does the same but not with the miles earned from CCs. They even have AA reps who meet certain passengers at the airport inquiring how they know the person who gifted them SWUs or miles.
AA is not at fault and it is their right to take action for violation of T&C of its aadvantage account.

What Alaska is doing is a pure scam. It is auditing account and canceling awards for not violating any T&C described in mileage plan or the T&C of the BOA issued Alaska card. They would accuse first but when they are hard pressed can't show you how you violated any T&C, they would then say" we can do what we want & when we want with your miles".

This is not a winning argument for Alaska!
Old Aug 23, 2015, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
No, that's not accurate as stated. By the time anyone from AA would be doing that, it's someone who's already completely busted and their miles/instruments/tickets already voided-- it never happens as just a spot-check or part of the investigation, etc.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

How do you plan on winning the argument?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
No, that's not accurate as stated. By the time anyone from AA would be doing that, it's someone who's already completely busted and their miles/instruments/tickets already voided-- it never happens as just a spot-check or part of the investigation, etc.
Good to know. Recall hearing such reports on the AA forum a while back.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I am sure this won't end well for Alaska.
And your certainty of how it will end is based on what, exactly?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA is not at fault and it is their right to take action for violation of T&C of its aadvantage account.

What Alaska is doing is a pure scam. It is auditing account and canceling awards for not violating any T&C described in mileage plan or the T&C of the BOA issued Alaska card. They would accuse first but when they are hard pressed can't show you how you violated any T&C, they would then say" we can do what we want & when we want with your miles".

Instead of telling us what and is not a winning argument, why not tell us the exact facts of the situation to which you are referring.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Often1
Instead of telling us what and is not a winning argument, why not tell us the exact facts of the situation to which you are referring.
Inquiring minds want to know.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
Have you tried logging out and then searching? Seems like that would simplify things.
It seems that people*may* be booking more than one itinerary/ ticket - for "backup" purposes so they can get an itinerary they really, really want without thought to anyone else.
I'm glad that AS put the kibosh on this!
Think about it - mileage plan award travel is inventory controlled - when you book more than -1- award booking /ticketing - you remove seat(s) from inventory that someone else may want or need ...

I think that is gaming the system and prevents people from booking flights using mileage.
JMHO
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Dennkat
It seems that people*may* be booking more than one itinerary/ ticket - for "backup" purposes so they can get an itinerary they really, really want without thought to anyone else.
I'm glad that AS put the kibosh on this!
Think about it - mileage plan award travel is inventory controlled - when you book more than -1- award booking /ticketing - you remove seat(s) from inventory that someone else may want or need ...

I think that is gaming the system and prevents people from booking flights using mileage.
JMHO
I can understand not letting me book but it should not be stopping me from searching as that doesn't take anything out of inventory. It just randomly happens now whether logged in or out, I just have to use incognito or another computer.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
I can understand not letting me book but it should not be stopping me from searching as that doesn't take anything out of inventory. It just randomly happens now whether logged in or out, I just have to use incognito or another computer.

Has this search issue ever occured when looking for paid tickets?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ken98230
Has this search issue ever occured when looking for paid tickets?
So far only awards, but i havent tired to change a revenue except for Single segment codeshare operated by AA but never tried to change those so no experience with it
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
That said, OP, you REALLY need to get a native English speaker who is competent at written communication to copyedit your letter, ESPECIALLY before you send it to anyone with an executive title. Words like "wanna" or other incidents of bad grammar will NOT win you any favors with the higher-ups.
I disagree. I think they need to know that English is not his first language, and that might be part of the problem that got him to now.

I would, however, recommend, that the email be crystal clear with respect to the details. He doesn't want to erroneously contradict himself or make false statements because of language barriers. As long as the message is clear, using 'wanna' is fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.