Wiki Posts
Search

Bonus Miles on Y, S, B and M Fares

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG
Bonus Miles on Y, S, B and M Fares

Does anyone know how to retroactively check the fare class of a ticket booked? I'm fairly certain the ticket I booked was in one of these classes, but it booked directly into U, and I didn't receive any bonus miles (outside of MVPG bonus) for the flight.

I'm wondering if there is a glitch where tickets that are upgraded into U aren't getting the appropriate bonus miles. (There is a chance the ticket I purchased was an H fare, but it was a last minute purchase SFO-SEA)
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:13 am

The confirmation e-mails say which class of service it books into, at least when booked through AlaskaAir.com.

Looks like this: "Class: Y(Coach)"

Edit: Nevermind, if the e-mail is sent after the upgrade is processed it'll show U (which usually does occur when it's an instant upgrade.) I'm not aware of any other way besides calling.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:19 am

There is a glitch. I blogged about it a while back. I had the same thing happen with an S fare. I wrote in weeks ago, no response, so I called yesterday and the rep opened up a ticket. She tried backing out the flight and re-crediting it first, and that didn't work. It was the first of this issue this rep had heard, so go ahead and call in to report it if it's also happening to you. It might move faster.

EDIT: Maybe not a glitch based on what Westcoaster posted below? The CSR I spoke to thought it was an issue and escalated it, so I'll update with whatever I hear back.

Last edited by PWMTrav; Feb 18, 2015 at 10:24 am
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
From the blue box on the following page http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...on-alaska.aspx :

"Earn actual flight miles* flown in H, Q, L, V, K, G, T, R, and U class of service ;"

From this it appears that you don't get the bonus when you are upgraded. I haven't been in this situation yet so I don't know what usually happens in practice.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
From the blue box on the following page http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...on-alaska.aspx :

"Earn actual flight miles* flown in H, Q, L, V, K, G, T, R, and U class of service ;"

From this it appears that you don't get the bonus when you are upgraded. I haven't been in this situation yet so I don't know what usually happens in practice.
They're looking into it for me. I got an instant upgrade on an S fare and didn't get the 50% bonus, but I've talked to others who have bought and cleared later and I'm hearing they got a COS bonus. I can't verify others' activity of course, but that's my understanding. It could be an issue when you buy and clear an instant upgrade.

I have no idea why Alaska would want to not award the bonus to those higher fares just because they upgrade, unless the upgrade is the compensation they intended. You'd think they would write that out, though.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I agree it needs to be clarified. The wording "flown in..." as opposed to "booked in..." specific classes of service made me think they might be intentionally excluding upgrades from the bonus. Hopefully their intent will be made clear as a result of your inquiry.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:43 am

I agree it needs to be clarified. The wording "flown in..." as opposed to "booked in..." specific classes of service made me think they might be intentionally excluding upgrades from the bonus. Hopefully their intent will be made clear as a result of your inquiry.
Agreed. It's not a huge deal - honestly I would have taken the upgrade over the 50% EQM, most likely, if I were given a choice anyway. I was pretty clear on the phone that I wasn't pissed off about missing the miles, I just wanted to get them posted if they should post, and to know otherwise if everything is as it should be. The rep made it sound like she thought it was a glitch, as she tried to back the flight out and re-credit it.

I do wonder if it's a systems limitation. For the same reason it's not easy to find your fare bucket once you upgrade online, maybe there's a systems issue tracking the paid fare class vs flown, so they have to exclude U (or be giving an EQM bonus to every upgrader in the system). Alaska doesn't seem like the kind of airline that would make you forfeit a fare class bonus based on an upgrade - I bet Delta thinks its a good idea though
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by PWMTrav

I do wonder if it's a systems limitation. For the same reason it's not easy to find your fare bucket once you upgrade online, maybe there's a systems issue tracking the paid fare class vs flown, so they have to exclude U (or be giving an EQM bonus to every upgrader in the system).

If you use online check in, there's an option to print a receipt in addition to printing you boarding pass. The receipt includes information about the fare classes in which the segments were originally booked.

I've found that helpful if I'm submitting for a reimbursement. The receipt shows that I actually did book in coach, even if my boarding passes or the confirmation emails say I was seated in first class.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

The only time I've had issues with bonus EQM/RDM based on fare class is using a companion cert. The companion bonus doesn't post usually.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:44 pm

what is the best way to see which class you booked after you have completed the flight AND you were upgraded? All i can find is U class, have hard time finding what fare class i booked.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

The only time I've had issues with bonus EQM/RDM based on fare class is using a companion cert. The companion bonus doesn't post usually.
Similar experience; the full fare posts with the bonus eqms and the companion does not.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:34 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
They aren't intentionally excluding upgrades. But the technology hasn't quite caught up with the intention. It's being worked on now.

If you didn't get your proper CoS Bonus, call Customer Care.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Originally Posted by missydarlin
They aren't intentionally excluding upgrades. But the technology hasn't quite caught up with the intention. It's being worked on now.

If you didn't get your proper CoS Bonus, call Customer Care.
^

Customer Care folks are great!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I will give customer care a call.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: AS
New to Flyertalk

I am confused about AS companion COS bonus. My husband and I are MVP and were upgraded to U on recent flight. Our itinerary was booked into Y fare and I used companion certificate. Am I entitled to Y fare EQM bonus in my account? Only "straight" miles posted into my EQM account. We travel for leisure and trying to get MVP each year takes planning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.