Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2015 edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: metallo
PLEASE EXPAND AND READ THIS EXTENSIVE WIKI:

An archive of reports of meals served on Alaska Airlines between Jan. 1, 2015 and July 31, 2015 is available in this thread. Posts in this thread prior to Aug. 1 are discussion only; reports prior to this date were kept in a separate thread.

We have an archive of previous threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...on-thread.html

This is for 2015 food reports and discussion.

For quick ease of locating reports, when reporting, please follow the following formatting (see an example here). Pease bold the following headings:
  • Date the flight was taken
  • Flight Number and Route flown
  • Time of Departure
  • Length of flight
  • Class of service
  • Pre-Departure Beverage service
  • Meal served
  • A brief description of the meal
  • Photograph of the meal, if possible

As well, please add a link to your specific post to the list below in the format of [date] [route] [meal type]. You can copy the URL of your specific post by clicking on the "#[post number]" in the upper-right corner of your post.

Food Reports:
12/31/14 SJC-PDX snack? with photos
1/1/15 LAX-SEA snack
1/2/15 SEA-ANC dinner
1/1/15 SJC-SEA snack
1/1/15 SEA-OGG dinner
1/8/15 menu
1/9/15 SEA-ANC dinner
1/6/15 and 1/9/15 PHX-SEA-PHX
1/9/15 BLI-HNL dinner
1/9/15 BOS-SAN dinner with photos
1/10/15 SAN-BOS breakfast with photos
1/24/15 ANC-PHX Lunch
1/24/15 PHX-ANC Dinner
1/27/15 SEA-PHL Breakfast
1/27/15 PHL-SEA Dinner
1/28/15 SEA-PHL Breakfast
1/28/15 PHL-SEA Dinner
1/29/15 SEA-ANC Lunch
1/31/15 EWR-SEA Dinner

2/1/15 SEA-DTW Breakfast
2/1/15 SAN-SEA Lunch
2/1/15 DTW-SEA Dinner
2/2/15 OGG-SJC Dinner
2/2/15 SEA-EWR Dinner
2/4/14 SEA-ABQ Lunch
2/5/15 SEA-PHL Breakfast
2/7/17 SLC-SFO and SFO-SLC Snacks
2/7/15 DCA-PDX Dinner
2/8/15 SJC-OGG Breakfast
2/9/15 DCA-SEA Breakfast
2/9/15 ANC-PHX Lunch
2/9/15 PHX-ANC Dinner
2/16/15 SEA-SFO Snack
2/20/15 SEA-SNA Snack
2/26/15 SEA-ORD Breakfast
2/27/15 ORD-SEA Lunch/Snack

3/3/15 SEA-LAX Snack
3/3/15 LAX-SEA Snack

7/24/15 SFO-SEA Breakfast
7/29/15 ONT-SEA snack
7/30/15 ANC-JNU Snack
7/31/15 OAK-HNL breakfast
8/2/15 LAX-DCA lunch
8/?3?/15 LAX-SEA dinner
8/?4?/15 SAN-LIH lunch?
8/8/15 JNU-ANC Snack
8/23/15 ANC-JNU Breakfast
8/29/15 JNU-ANC Snack
9/5/15 STL-SEA Dinner

(Please help continue this categorization, both from the Jan-July thread as well as further reports in this thread)

Suggestions for other creative ways to parse this library of information:

Statistics (through January 11):
By flight:
Chipotle chicken with green beans and a cornbread muffin: SEA-ANC
Polenta with arugula salad: LAX-SEA, SEA-SNA-SEA
Cucina Fresca Three Cheese Ravioli: BOS-SAN

Current offerings:
As of [date], current meal choices:
Transcon breakfast:
Transcon lunch:
Transcon dinner:
Transcon snack:
Midcon breakfast:
Midcon lunch:
Midcon dinner:
Midcon snack:
West coast breakfast:
West coast lunch:
West coast dinner:
West coast snack:
Hawaii breakfast:
Hawaii lunch:
Hawaii dinner:
Hawaii snack:
[Other?]

For previous years please see the archives:

2009-2012
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2015 edition)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I decided to have my Subway sandwich toasted the other day just to try something different since I usually say no when they ask if I want it toasted
You're living dangerously.

Let me guess, you didn't have any of that yucky spinach on the sandwich did you?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tusphotog
You're living dangerously.

Let me guess, you didn't have any of that yucky spinach on the sandwich did you?
I asked for all the veggies (including jalapenos and banana peppers) EXCEPT for the spinach and cucumbers (both of which are ok by themselves or in a salad, just not on a sandwich).
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:22 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I was treated to the "sweetbread" strata this morning on PDX-HNL; I was in row 3, exactly at the halfway point when it came to order-taking, and the FA announced that were out of the scrambled eggs (which, quite honestly, aren't great either, with the pork and rice). None of the first 8 passengers went for the strata, and the FA tried hard to sell it to the remaining passengers, including showing the pics and assuring us that it's not "that bad." Does AS make any efforts to keep track of passenger choices? It would seem that the scrambled eggs selling out after 8 passengers (with 8/16 dishes loaded) would send a certain message about the popularity of strata, kale, and the like?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:03 am
IJK

Originally Posted by CBear
It's the texture.

And it reminds me of baby food.
Have you had baby food recently? Or do you have a really good memory?

I agree with the poster(s) who say that polenta is not too bad on occasion.

Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:20 am

AS769 BOS-SAN last night, had the cheese ravioli, as I let my seatmate take the last cod. I'd eaten at Legal Test Kitchen already so I didn't really care. FWIW the cod looked and smelled pretty good.

The ravioli were not good. They basically resembled reheated pasta without any kind of a sauce - just a little bit of melted cheese. The zucchini that came on the side and the 2 or 3 peppers tossed in with the pasta had good flavor, but I didn't get through much of the ravioli at all. Then again, I wasn't particularly hungry.

I enjoyed the shrimp caesar, despite the appearance of what may have been plankton or krill, but not actual shrimp on top. Can those things get any smaller?

Cobbler was decent too.

So don't take Row 4 while the pasta option is out there.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
AS769 BOS-SAN last night, had the cheese ravioli, as I let my seatmate take the last cod. I'd eaten at Legal Test Kitchen already so I didn't really care. FWIW the cod looked and smelled pretty good.

The ravioli were not good. They basically resembled reheated pasta without any kind of a sauce - just a little bit of melted cheese. The zucchini that came on the side and the 2 or 3 peppers tossed in with the pasta had good flavor, but I didn't get through much of the ravioli at all. Then again, I wasn't particularly hungry.

I enjoyed the shrimp caesar, despite the appearance of what may have been plankton or krill, but not actual shrimp on top. Can those things get any smaller?

Cobbler was decent too.

So don't take Row 4 while the pasta option is out there.

From the four flights I had the past weeks, the shrimp size does change, one time I had that tiny "shrimp" and the same returning flight, I ordered the same salad, and it turned out to be real size shrimp!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I haven't had the polenta yet - maybe I'll clear on BOS-SAN this Thurs and be the lucky recipient.
Good news for Seat 2A: There are longer routes with current menu offerings other than the cod or the ravioli. Blackened chicken or salmon (flavored) penne pasta mac & cheese are showing up as entree choices.

Good news for PWMTrav: You can get polenta on the current ANC-PHX and PHX-ANC routes.

Bad news for PDXPremier: You can get polenta on the current ANC-PHX and PHX-ANC routes, along with a salad containing farro and what I think might have been edamame, some fried rice noodles and some chopped cabbage.

My seatmate on the return flight summed things up with the terse comment, "What the hell IS this stuff?"

Details and the full menu will be posted on the "Reports" thread once I've got time to upload some photos.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by IJK
Have you had baby food recently? Or do you have a really good memory?

I agree with the poster(s) who say that polenta is not too bad on occasion.

I have a small child.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by beckoa
Date the flight was taken: January 14, 2015
Route flown: SEA-LAS
Class of service: F
Length of flight: 2:00
Meal served: Snack (9:50 AM departure)
A brief description of the meal: Cheese Plate
I thought the cheese & fruit plate was good, but my seat mate did not think much of it.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Flying Saturday from SEA to Vegas on the 655pm flight. Meal service is listed as a snack in F. Should I eat dinner in Seattle before we depart? As this flight is around dinnertime I was hoping for something somewhat filling.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BOB W
I thought the cheese & fruit plate was good, but my seat mate did not think much of it.
How can you not like a fruit and cheese plate??? Seems pretty tough to mess up....well, I guess they could sprinkle that red spicy seasoning like they do with some of the trans con fruit plates. Isn't it essentially what they're paying $7 for back in Y?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by OSUFlyer
Flying Saturday from SEA to Vegas on the 655pm flight. Meal service is listed as a snack in F. Should I eat dinner in Seattle before we depart? As this flight is around dinnertime I was hoping for something somewhat filling.
You should probably eat. I flew that route in F in Nov and I think the snack was the kale salad. I happen to very much enjoy the kale salad that AS serves, but filling, it was not.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
If your flight's departing from the C gates, try Waji's. Great rice and chicken/beef combinations!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Originally Posted by BOB W
Originally Posted by beckoa
Date the flight was taken: January 14, 2015
Route flown: SEA-LAS
Class of service: F
Length of flight: 2:00
Meal served: Snack (9:50 AM departure)
A brief description of the meal: Cheese Plate
How can you not like a fruit and cheese plate??? Seems pretty tough to mess up....well, I guess they could sprinkle that red spicy seasoning like they do with some of the trans con fruit plates. Isn't it essentially what they're paying $7 for back in Y?
How does the new F cheese plate compare (portion size, variety) with what is served in Y, beckoa?

It's possible to mess up a cheese & fruit plate, PDXPremier. On my flight yesterday the woman in front of me asked for the Y cheese plate (she must have been on a pasta & polenta-free diet). They made her pay for it, but then she sent it back complaining that some of the fruit was rotten ...
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by zs58
You should probably eat. I flew that route in F in Nov and I think the snack was the kale salad. I happen to very much enjoy the kale salad that AS serves, but filling, it was not.
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
If your flight's departing from the C gates, try Waji's. Great rice and chicken/beef combinations!

Thanks for the advice, we will definitely grab dinner first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.