Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pok Pok, Other Local Flavors @ PDX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
I think there's a bit of a backlash factor in terms of locals being too "cool" to like Voodoo...but certainly if you were a local, why would you stop for donuts at a place where you're likely to have to wait in a long line?
It has nothing to do with being "too cool" for Voodoo. It's that there are much, much better options within a two mile radius of their downtown location.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:47 am

Two thoughts:

1. If Salt and Straw moves to PDX THAT would be a game changer. Yum.

2. Does PDX really have a plan to replace chains with local vendors? Didn't they just put in a McDonald's (less than a year ago) near the Southwest C gates?

Regardless, whether it's because of the food options, free music, no sales tax or easy access to rental cars, PDX rocks! The best west coast airport IMO.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tusphotog
It has nothing to do with being "too cool" for Voodoo. It's that there are much, much better options within a two mile radius of their downtown location.

+1.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Had a set of wings at Pok Pok last night in PDX Mmm

FYI they close at 9 PM... I made it just before.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Yeah, even as a tourist, "in the same vicinity and better" plus "not waiting in that horrendous line" is pretty compelling.

Last edited by fwoomp; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:07 pm Reason: Typo
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Check out 'Koi Fusion'..right next to Pok Pok.. had the Kimchee Quesadilla..yum!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
Originally Posted by PDX97003
Check out 'Koi Fusion'..right next to Pok Pok.. had the Kimchee Quesadilla..yum!
+1. And pair it with one of the Drinking Vinegars from Pok Pok. The Tamarind is my favorite.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Food Cart Pod Update :)

All three of the initial food carts are running strong -- KOi Fusion, Pok Pok and Love & Whisky. I can personally vouch for the Korean bulgogi sliders from KOi Fusion - tasty!

Pok Pok will be expanding their menu to more than wings, according to Eater. Eater PDX Update: Pok Pok Expands Menu.

There are also 3 more carts in the pod marked "Coming Soon," but no one I spoke with would divulge which local haunts will populate those additional spaces.

In other restaurant news, the build-out for the PDX location of The Country Cat is progressing. It's just past the D Security gates in the area that used to house an outdoor clothing outfitter. It seems like a large space, so I'm hopeful there will be plenty of seating.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by beckoa
Had a set of wings at Pok Pok last night in PDX Mmm

FYI they close at 9 PM... I made it just before.
Hit them again last week. Still tasty!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: MVPG75k-Boardroom, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bofc
Two thoughts:

1. If Salt and Straw moves to PDX THAT would be a game changer. Yum.

2. Does PDX really have a plan to replace chains with local vendors? Didn't they just put in a McDonald's (less than a year ago) near the Southwest C gates?

Regardless, whether it's because of the food options, free music, no sales tax or easy access to rental cars, PDX rocks! The best west coast airport IMO.
They did just put in a Mcdonalds but there is a sign on the wall stating that the Mcdonald's is owned and operated by Portland natives so and so. Cant remember their names or exact wording.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
BOI has done the same thing. Hope the local rest. don't disappoint.

Originally Posted by mczlaw
While others are scavenging @ SEA, savvy PDX travelers will make a beeline for the airport version of Portland's nationally-known Thai food favorite, Pok Pok. My reliable sources tell me the soft opening was today and first official day is tomorrow, Friday 10/10.

Pok Pok is the first of several well-regarded local restaurants to open outlets @ PDX as the Port of Portland begins a concerted effort to replace national chains as their leases terminate over the next few years. The Pok Pok outlet will operate with a slimmed down, slightly modified menu (but, yes, there will be those magical chicken wings ), reportedly in a location outside security but near the A/B/C concourse(s).

Coincidentally, I'm flying out tomorrow eve and will supplement or amend this post as appropriate. Happy news for those of us sick of crappy airport food.

--mcz
Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
So I'm hearing a lot about these Pok Pok wings and I've got try them. I'm flying to PDX in a couple of weeks and if they are as good as advertised I'd like to bring some home on my return.

Questions: Do they travel well? Will they keep 2-3 hours? Does Pok Pok pack them for travel or should I bring a tupperware?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:44 am

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

They'll put them in a cardboard (well heavy gauge paper) container, and provide a bag on request. I've thought about bringing some home, but they never seem to make it
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, SQ Gold
Anyone know when the Mo's will open in PDX? I spotted the logo on the wall on my way out, but didn't catch any info. My father-in-law loves that place & always hits the one in Cannon Beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.