Wiki Posts
Search

Pok Pok, Other Local Flavors @ PDX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Pok Pok, Other Local Flavors @ PDX

While others are scavenging @ SEA, savvy PDX travelers will make a beeline for the airport version of Portland's nationally-known Thai food favorite, Pok Pok. My reliable sources tell me the soft opening was today and first official day is tomorrow, Friday 10/10.

Pok Pok is the first of several well-regarded local restaurants to open outlets @ PDX as the Port of Portland begins a concerted effort to replace national chains as their leases terminate over the next few years. The Pok Pok outlet will operate with a slimmed down, slightly modified menu (but, yes, there will be those magical chicken wings ), reportedly in a location outside security but near the A/B/C concourse(s).

Coincidentally, I'm flying out tomorrow eve and will supplement or amend this post as appropriate. Happy news for those of us sick of crappy airport food.

--mcz
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Laurelwood's Workhorse IPA on tap is the only thing I'm looking for in PDX!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Sounds interesting. Please keep us posted.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
My go-to places at PDX (that you can't find at SEA) are Panda Express (Orange Chicken) and Rose's (bagel breakfast sandwiches)....yum!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
Originally Posted by mczlaw
magical chicken wings
Time for a SEA-PDX-SEA run!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by the42ndstate
Time for a SEA-PDX-SEA run!
Totally worth it. The fish sauce wings deserve to be nominated as their own food group :-::-::-:
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:01 am

Pok Pok is the first of several well-regarded local restaurants to open outlets @ PDX as the Port of Portland begins a concerted effort to replace national chains as their leases terminate over the next few years.
Hooray! Truth be told, I'd never heard of this place--guess I've stayed in the wrong part of Portland in the past--but I think it's great when they open outlets of local restaurants at airports.

Another thing to look forward to next time I'm up there. Hey, I can still check out Pok Pok even if I drive.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I nominate a Voodoo chain in PDX

Drifting a bit- but saw an intriguing Rogue Ale partnered with Voodoo at Costco
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
I nominate a Voodoo chain in PDX

Drifting a bit- but saw an intriguing Rogue Ale partnered with Voodoo at Costco
Not to stray too far OT, but let me offer a pro tip here: Voodoo is a big joke to us locals...we always know that pink box carriers @ PDX are tourists who don't know any better. Around town, it's either tourists or wasted twentysomethings.

There are some seriously good donuts to be found in Portland...the very best are at Blue Star, located downtown and on SE Hawthorne. You heard it here first!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
hmm, i look forward to my next trip to PDX a little more now...
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, United Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite Ambassador
Was there yesterday....Pok Pok was not open but Koi Fusion, another big name food cart was. They are outside of security in the food hall near the back, in modified food cart style appropriate to Portland. The biggest drawback is of course, they are outside of security which begs the question are they really addressing flyers or visitors to the airport. There are many available food slots at PDX behind security, one of which was taken earlier this year by Burgerville. Lots of room to put lots of new options in.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those Pok Pok wings are among my favorite dishes of all time. I'm stoked that they will be available at PDX!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
PDX has been voted the top domestic airport by T+L readers for several years - adding Pok Pok, Koi Fusion and others will definitely cinch their #1 ranking for 2015.

I <3 PDX.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, SQ Gold
Not to stray too far OT, but let me offer a pro tip here: Voodoo is a big joke to us locals...we always know that pink box carriers @ PDX are tourists who don't know any better. Around town, it's either tourists or wasted twentysomethings.

There are some seriously good donuts to be found in Portland...the very best are at Blue Star, located downtown and on SE Hawthorne. You heard it here first!
^ Also, there's a new Blue Star location on N Mississippi, next door to Little Big Burger!

Now if we could just get a Salt & Straw in PDX!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

Blue star is so much better than Voodoo.

I miss Salt and Straw (left PDX area in July).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.