Search

$125 change fee on an F/J award?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:49 pm
ANC
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
$125 change fee on an F/J award?

Had an F partner award where a segment didnt have any F/J award space open. 7 days out it opened and I was able to book us into business class online. I was charged a $125 change fee for my companion/wife who is MVP and not gold and rather than call and screw around wasting time before the seats disappeared I just paid rather than called so I could secure the seats. Was this charge correct in that we should have been charged a "change fee" in essence for booking into J on AA(bascically the AA fare code went from T to U and on AA U isnt upgrade), same flight, when we were already on an F award? If thats how it works then so be it, otherwise I will contact the accounting office. Ive always been under the impression that #1 changing your current fare basis on a segment to a higher one, there isnt a change fee. #2 changing a coach segment to an F seat there isnt a change fee but I know awards can be a bit funny

Last edited by ANC; Nov 1, 2014 at 4:58 pm
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:08 pm

If you redeemed a premium award and you had to accept coach on one or more segments due to lack of availability, generally AS will allow you to change it without charge should those segments become available. Ask them to note this in your PNR if you have to accept a lower class of service on some segments.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
If you are MVPG and your wife's ticket was issued using miles from your account, you will both receive change fee waiver regardless of the circumstance
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:13 am
ANC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jona970318
If you are MVPG and your wife's ticket was issued using miles from your account, you will both receive change fee waiver regardless of the circumstance
non golds no longer receive the gold benefits of reservations booked with a Gold level persons miles. That used to be a nice glitch in the AS system but theyve fixed the loophole
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Gold miles still have the change fee waiver.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: AS, DL
Originally Posted by ANC
Had an F partner award where a segment didnt have any F/J award space open. 7 days out it opened and I was able to book us into business class online. I was charged a $125 change fee for my companion/wife who is MVP and not gold and rather than call and screw around wasting time before the seats disappeared I just paid rather than called so I could secure the seats. Was this charge correct in that we should have been charged a "change fee" in essence for booking into J on AA(bascically the AA fare code went from T to U and on AA U isnt upgrade), same flight, when we were already on an F award? If thats how it works then so be it, otherwise I will contact the accounting office. Ive always been under the impression that #1 changing your current fare basis on a segment to a higher one, there isnt a change fee. #2 changing a coach segment to an F seat there isnt a change fee but I know awards can be a bit funny
Based on experience, you shouldn't have been charged a change fee if you booked a F award, were booked into Y, and J later opened up. I would write to AS.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:09 pm
ANC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by koopas
Based on experience, you shouldn't have been charged a change fee if you booked a F award, were booked into Y, and J later opened up. I would write to AS.
did so and the issue has been or is in the proccess of being rectified ^

Also as a shout out to all the "MVP" level folks, while I conversed this situation I also added my 2 cents that MVP level members should receive a discounted change fee of either 50% of the current rate or change fees of $75 for any and all changes ^
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ANC
non golds no longer receive the gold benefits of reservations booked with a Gold level persons miles. That used to be a nice glitch in the AS system but theyve fixed the loophole
I was making a booking for a friend using my miles mid-last month and the agent specifically confirmed that since the miles are coming out of my account, he would have no change fees. Unless some rules have changed between now and then...
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by jona970318
Originally Posted by ANC
I was making a booking for a friend using my miles mid-last month and the agent specifically confirmed that since the miles are coming out of my account, he would have no change fees. Unless some rules have changed between now and then...
Still the case for change fees ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.