Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SFO Board Room now closed eff. June 2014--see separate thread re: CX lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
SFO AS BR closed June 2014.

AS moved terminals August 20th.

AS started using the SFO CX Lounge August 22, 2014 for Boardroom members.

Please follow discussion of the CX SFO lounge here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23453275-post205.html
Print Wikipost

SFO Board Room now closed eff. June 2014--see separate thread re: CX lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS Million Miler, AS MVPG-75K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Silver, Nat EE

I was extremely disappointed to hear that the AS Boardroom is slated for closure (date still TBD -likely over the summer). While it's tied to the coming T1 overhaul; apparently AS has plans to close it permanently and not re-open after T1 construction is complete.

No official word has gone out to publicly, however it is well known by station manager and others...so it is not a matter of IF but WHEN.

I found this out while in SFO this week for my last work trip of 2013, which is ending with ~ 115K all AS metal flown (mostly to/from Bay area) so I feel I am speaking from a strong place when I say how much this bothers me!

I am posting this as I wanted others to be aware of the situation - perhaps together we can convince AS this would be a mistake!

While the SFO Board room is nothing to look at, my personal opinion is that the staff (Michael, Kelly, Becky ....we miss you Joanne) are the best there is. They go out of their way to assist, always remember a face, and even when they are in the weeds due to SFO delays, still provide top level customer service. This club has been my refuge for 10+ years, as a place to work quietly/relax when the rest of the terminal is in complete madness bc of ATC delays.

background: Apparently T1 will be getting complete overhaul and in the process they'll shut down parts of the terminal while it's getting re-built. AS will be moving it's operations to International Terminal during the interim. While there is a Delta club there (with limited hours), there is talk among Delta staff it may shut down because they only maintain the SFO club for Narita flight.

I think permanent closure of the SFO Boardroom is a big mistake for AS - they are in the midst of a turf/route battle with Delta. Is closing the only club in the Bay Area the way to keep your longtime loyal AS FF's happy?

I strongly believe I can't be the only one who's upset by this news?!?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
This is heartbreaking news. It was a semi-regular "home away from home" for me for years. (In recent years, I haven't been flying AS out of SFO nearly as much.) I can't say I'm surprised, given the overall reduction of flights over the past few years.

I wonder if AS has considered taking over the DL space. I'm sure it is a very expensive piece of real estate, but it would be the only Priority Pass lounge in the A gates (which could provide for a fair amount of revenue) and they could be the contract lounge for at least one or two A gate airlines.

So disappointing right on the heels of the announcement of SLC service.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
The SFO boardroom was far below the standard of AS boardrooms and was very small as well. It got to the point I stopped using it and just stayed in the terminal as it really had very little to offer. It would be nice if they upgraded it to meet the standard of other boardrooms, but it looks like that wont happen. In the meantime AS should open a boardroom in SAN as that terminal is crazy crowded and getting busier.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
The SFO boardroom was far below the standard of AS boardrooms and was very small as well. It got to the point I stopped using it and just stayed in the terminal as it really had very little to offer. It would be nice if they upgraded it to meet the standard of other boardrooms, but it looks like that wont happen. In the meantime AS should open a boardroom in SAN as that terminal is crazy crowded and getting busier.
Sometimes "home" isn't new or flashy, sometimes it needs remodeling, sometimes it is too small to really be comfortable, but it is still sad when you can't go home anymore.

Several of the best trips of my life started in that room.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Can't say I'm suprised with the drawdown in SFO...and T1 changes. SJC and SAN could each use a lounge- and the N gate SEA is still years away...

Finally went thru this club in August- yes it is small but was packed.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Bummer. I love that BR. Even if it's packed, it's still better than the terminal. The staff is fantastic in there.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The value of an F fare ex SFO just went down.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:16 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by beckoa
[SIZE=1]SJC and SAN could each use a lounge- and the N gate SEA is still years away...
United had a nice lounge in the wing that AS uses for its flights from SAN. I wonder what happened to it when United moved to Terminal 2 in August. Should AS have the budget, it seems like a very easy thing for them to take over.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Sometimes "home" isn't new or flashy, sometimes it needs remodeling, sometimes it is too small to really be comfortable, but it is still sad when you can't go home anymore.
+1. That place isn't swanky, but it sure is comfy and filled with nice people.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:57 pm

I just visited it twice for my last 2 MRs...
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
[SIZE=1]SJC and SAN could each use a lounge- and the N gate SEA is still years away...
United had a nice lounge in the wing that AS uses for its flights from SAN. I wonder what happened to it when United moved to Terminal 2 in August. Should AS have the budget, it seems like a very easy thing for them to take over.
Agree made it in there once this year. Was an improvement over the terminal for sure. I think that space is sitting empty now.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador

Agree made it in there once this year. Was an improvement over the terminal for sure. I think that space is sitting empty now.
This is depressing and while it wasn't much to look at the staff was great and it was quiet, high standards or not.

On another note AS is building San Diego in a big way yet they are not even considering using the old UA club room that is simply sitting there unused and no one else in that terminal.

I am not quite sure of AS Boardroom thinking but I can say it's not what I would personally consider aggressive or forward thinking to further brand AS. People that buy clubroom membership tend to be more loyal than not to that airline. Go figure.

Never the less there is "something a foot"
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Last I heard in June was the airport wanted too much money for that space.

I wonder if membership costs will decrease next year? They've closed two locations since I've been a member: YVR and now SFO.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:30 pm

Alaska is slated to open one at SJC-Speculation

I speculate that Alaska Airlines will open a Boardroom at SJC where they see lots of flights and may even expand their services at SJC. The small Boardroom at SFO while nice is not as spacious as the one at LAX or PDX. I would hope Alaska would design the SJC Boardroom like the one at LAX.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Last I heard in June was the airport wanted too much money for that space.

I wonder if membership costs will decrease next year? They've closed two locations since I've been a member: YVR and now SFO.
One could always hope but we all know the answer to that one! I had heard that as well however I am not sure that's totally correct. At this point it's dead space, no other airlines are moving over other than there is a rumor at SAN that HA might move in. My company is a construction contractor on the addition so every once in awhile I ask when the opportunity arises !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.