Wiki Posts
Search

Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

It's been a while since I have done it so I wanted to check to see if there have been any changes into doing a same day change. It looks like for non-elites it has moved to a 6 hour window before the target flight (10pm the day prior for MVP & Gold)

The website only lists FIVE requirements:
  • Reservations and tickets for flights operated by Alaska Airlines (metal).
  • Identical routing - so no changing to a co-terminal or non-stop.
  • New flight must depart the same day.
  • Flights midnight-4am can depart 10pm just prior.
  • Cannot be Group or AS Vacations booking.
Is that really it or are there other requirements? I assume if you are flying on AS metal you could make the change on any ticket including codeshares, etc.

Long ago, when they first started this, the airport agent thought I was crazy for asking to be put on a very full earlier flight for $25 that was leaving pretty soon so I just walked over to the kiosk and put myself on it for $25. Since then I don't trust any airport and phone agents to be honest in making these kinds of changes for me although it says on the website that they have the ability to do it. Does anyone really think that when you call up the phone agent that they will change your flight for $25 without going through the $100 + fare difference dog and pony show. Or telling you it's under airport control UNLESS you pay the piper.

Also, is it possible to do a SDC online after you have already done OLCI?

Last edited by westcoastman; Jan 10, 2013 at 7:45 am
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by westcoastman
Also, is it possible to do a CDC online after you have already done OLCI?
Yep. No problems.

I've also never had any problems doing a SDC over the phone with the Gold desk agents, including once after I overslept and saw my plane pushing back from the gate at SNA!
trektheusa likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Also, is it possible to do a CDC online after you have already done OLCI?
Yep. No problems.

I've also never had any problems doing a SDC over the phone with the Gold desk agents, including once after I overslept and saw my plane pushing back from the gate at SNA!
Dang you sure slept close
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:58 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
One of the Doubletrees by SNA has a great view from a few of the windows of the east end of the airport--right where AS usually parks.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Originally Posted by beckoa
One of the Doubletrees by SNA has a great view from a few of the windows of the east end of the airport--right where AS usually parks.
Reminds me of the Westin DTW
Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:25 am

Programs: HH Silver
It's been a while since I have done it so I wanted to check to see if there have been any changes into doing a same day change. It looks like for non-elites it has moved to a 6 hour window before the target flight (10pm the day prior for MVP & Gold)

The website only lists FIVE requirements:
I have a question regarding the identical routing. Last year I was able to change from a 1 stop to a non-stop from PVR to SEA for the $25. Was I just lucky, or have others been able to do this as well. I am flying in F on an award ticket.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 5:15 am

Programs: AS 75k, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tatterdema
I have a question regarding the identical routing. Last year I was able to change from a 1 stop to a non-stop from PVR to SEA for the $25. Was I just lucky, or have others been able to do this as well. I am flying in F on an award ticket.
You can change from a 1-stop direct flight to a non-stop, or vice versa, but you cannot change from a connecting flight to a non-stop, or vice versa. Check your flight numbers: if both segments have the same flight number, you will be able to SDC to a nonstop (space permitting).
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steadyASshegoes
You can change from a 1-stop direct flight to a non-stop, or vice versa, but you cannot change from a connecting flight to a non-stop, or vice versa. Check your flight numbers: if both segments have the same flight number, you will be able to SDC to a nonstop (space permitting).
I did a SDC years ago at the kiosk for a flight to LAS through PDX, where both legs were different flight numbers. It allowed me to get into PDX earlier for $25 but did not give me a non-stop option but my original flight to PDX had a big delay. Wonder if things have changed or if you get better results from talking to a human. I imagine many would pay $25 if they can go non-stop and this would help alleviate things in SFO so they don't get fogged in during a layover.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS 75k, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
I did a SDC years ago at the kiosk for a flight to LAS through PDX, where both legs were different flight numbers. It allowed me to get into PDX earlier for $25 but did not give me a non-stop option but my original flight to PDX had a big delay.
Exactly, both legs need to have the same flight number. This is called a "direct" flight, and Alaska will allow you to change to a nonstop if there is space.

You had a connecting flight, which Alaska does not allow you to SDC to a nonstop. So your experience exactly matched Alaska's policy.

Wonder if things have changed or if you get better results from talking to a human.
Hasn't been my experience but never hurts to ask I suppose.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by steadyASshegoes
That explains it. Thanks for the info. Hopefully there will still be space left for me in F on the non stop. I think I would even give up the F class just to get on that plane
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:03 am
Original Poster

OK, totally screwed this up causing the pax to wait an extra three hours. First, kudos to AS for a great system but there was no six hour window. Every flight was open for the whole day and the early flight filled because I did not attempt until six hours prior. Wish someone would have given me a heads up but maybe everyone thought I would be attempting at 10pm. Should have checked it after midnight rather than waking up at 4:30am. No issues with AS as the system is so passenger friendly that you have to be vigilant to get what you want.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:50 pm
LHG

Programs: AS MVP Gold and hotel status through their credit cards as needed :)
CoTerminal Same Day Change Success?

There was a thread a couple of years ago where some FTers were successful walking in to a co-terminal for an earlier flight (LA area mainly) and I wondered if any of you had tried this in the Bay area or LA over the past year?
I have an evening flight out of OAK that I would love to switch to late afternoon out of SFO. Any guesses what my chances might be? (MVP GOLD via status match)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:20 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by LHG
There was a thread a couple of years ago where some FTers were successful walking in to a co-terminal for an earlier flight (LA area mainly) and I wondered if any of you had tried this in the Bay area or LA over the past year?
I have an evening flight out of OAK that I would love to switch to late afternoon out of SFO. Any guesses what my chances might be? (MVP GOLD via status match)
Officially, co-terminal changes are not allowed via SDC. I've had no success asking at the airport for voluntary co-terminal changes, and the online process obviously doesn't allow for it either.

I believe one or two people have mentioned that the Gold line was helpful making such changes, but I wouldn't count on this. Try it and count it as a bonus if it works.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, SPG, Marriott Rewards
I've had success switching between SFO/OAK... however there were long weather delays that helped my case (flying in from PDX).

Worth a call to the gold line... worst they will tell you is no.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 2:29 am

I just noticed that I now have an option of changing to a later flight. I have never noticed this before, is it new? Does anyone know what the rules are that govern taking a later flight? How does the 6 hour rule apply? 6 hours prior to original flight, or 6 hours prior to later flight. If I remember correctly, the only way to get on a later flight before was to miss your current flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.