Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
PreCheck FAQ:

What is PreCheck?

TSA Pre✓™ allows select frequent flyers of participating airlines, members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs, or randomly selected passengers to receive expedited screening benefits during domestic travel. Eligible participants use dedicated screening lanes for screening benefits which include leaving on shoes, light outerwear and belts, as well as leaving laptops and 3-1-1 compliant liquids in carry-on bags. (from http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-pre%E2%9C%93%E2%84%A2)

What do I need to do to enroll in PreCheck?

There are two ways to enroll in PreCheck:

1. Be invited by Alaska Airlines, or
2. Sign up for a Trusted Traveler program

At this time, Alaska appears to have only invited a limited number of MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K flyers to use PreCheck. Anyone can sign up for a Trusted Traveler program, though.

See the Alaska Airlines PreCheck FAQ page for good, detailed information on how to ensure you are set to receive PreCheck benefits.

If you are relying on a Trusted Traveler program membership to grant PreCheck access, be sure your name in your "Personal Information" in your "Traveler Profile" (as specified in the link above) is an exact match with what is displayed in your online GOES profile. If it is not, then either contact Alaska to have your profile's name edited, or be sure to edit your SecureFlight data each time you book a new reservation so that your name is an exact match with your GOES profile. A mismatch is very likely to prevent you from being selected for PreCheck.

It is also possible that you have been randomly selected for PreCheck.

If you are randomly selected, you'll see the PreCheck logo displayed on your paper or mobile boarding pass. You'll have all the benefits of PreCheck status for that flight and can use the PreCheck lane in your city of departure.

Should I opt-in with AS or sign up for a Trusted Traveler program?

Opting in with AS is free.

The Trusted Traveler programs have an associated membership fee and interview process but grant additional benefits for international travelers Global Entry is $100 for a five-year membership, requires an interview at one of several enrollment centers across the US, and allows expedited re-entry into the U.S. NEXUS is $50 for a five-year membership, includes a complimentary Global Entry membership, requires an interview at one of a handful of selected enrollment centers near the Canadian border, and allows access to expedited lanes when crossing into Canada or the U.S. at a land crossing. SENTRI is similar to NEXUS but works for the Mexican border instead. Once you receive your approval letter, the numbers on the letter are your TSA PreCheck number. When scheduling your interview, it does not have to be the nearest center - so keep this in mind and consider your travels.

Reports are that those using a Trusted Traveler membership program tend to have higher PreCheck selection rates than those who simply opt in through AS. It's possible that elites who have opted in and provide a Known Traveler program number have the highest selection rates of all, although no method guarantees 100% selection for PreCheck.

How to Add Your PASSID to Existing Reservations

If you receive approval for PreCheck via Global Entry, Nexus or another Trusted Traveler program you will receive a card which (typically on the back) contains a PASSID number. For already existing AS reservations, go to the "My Trips" section of the Alaska website. Under each reservation, go to the "Traveler Information" section. On the right side is "Traveler Documentation." Click on the "Enter Required Documentation" link and select the traveler on the itinerary (if there is more than one traveler). Click the "Continue" button and then click on the "Enter Known Traveler/Redress Number" link. In the box for "Known Traveler Number" enter the PASSID that has been assigned. Click the "Continue" button and repeat as necessary until all the existing reservations have been populated with the PASSID.

What airports does AS participate in PreCheck?

See the map on TSA's site or download the PDF guide from TSA's site. Also note, though, if:

a) You are flying on AS, and
b) You have opted in to PreCheck, and
c) the airport has a PreCheck checkpoint (shown on the map or PDF), and
d) TSA doesn't randomly decide to deny you (hopefully not),

then (assuming you qualify for and have opted in to PreCheck) you will receive a PreCheck-enabled BP. Unless the PreCheck checkpoint leads to a concourse that is not attached to the concourse containing your departure gate, you can use PreCheck at that airport. It does not matter if TSA's map or PDF guide do not specify that Alaska participates at that particular airport.

Some airports have a version of PreCheck referred to as "PreCheck Lite." Those airports (either due to space or staffing limitations) modify the benefits of PreCheck --- you may need to remove your laptop and/or remove your liquids. Keep an eye out for signage in the PreCheck lane to see if modifications have been made to PreCheck at your departure airport. You may be able to leave your shoes on (unless they have metal shanks that will alarm) and you may be able to leave light coats and sweaters on.

Here is a list of airports and checkpoint locations confirmed by FlyerTalkers to work for AS flyers:

• ANC (main [B/C] checkpoint)
  • ATL (south checkpoint)
  • AUS (central checkpoint to the left of the AS check-in counter)
  • BLI (see post 1450 re removal of liquids)
  • BNA (north checkpoint for concourses A/B)
  • BOI (all passengers use one checkpoint)
  • BOS (The C40-C42 area that AS now uses only has PreCheck Lite)
  • BWI (C checkpoint, although A checkpoint also has it and it operates consistently throughout the day)
  • BZN (single checkpoint, right side)
  • DCA (south pier)
  • DEN (both north and south checkpoints)
  • DFW (Terminal E, near gate E15)
  • EAT (PreCheck Lite at the only checkpoint)
  • EUG (PreCheck Lite only)
  • EWR (Terminal A3) Confirmed full-scale PreCheck, at least for the morning flight
  • FAI (PreCheck Lite only)
  • FLL (terminal 1, concourse C--open late afternoon to accommodate AS #33)
  • GEG (Terminal C, left side of existing checkpoint, sporadic hours - see post 1403 for times)
  • HNL (checkpoint 5-between Delta and United, lobbies 7 and 8)
  • JNU (common upstairs checkpoint) PreCheck Lite.
  • KOA Gate 7 - (AS) PreCheck Lite for the 11:55PM Redeye. Also had PreCheck Lite for the 3:00 ish flight to OAK.
  • LAS (Terminal 3 (AS) next to F/elite line, Terminal 1 (AA/DL))
  • LAX (T6 [where Alaska departs from]; it is also possible to use the PreCheck checkpoint in T4 [American], T5 [Delta], or T7 [United]; all are connected behind security)
  • MCI (PreCheck Lite)
  • MCO (Far side of terminal away from AS baggage claim/checkin counters)
  • MFR (only one checkpoint in airport) PreCheck Lite. (Note: checkpoint completely closes at certain hours of the day. Very small airport.)
  • MRY (PreCheck Lite)
  • MSY (Concourse C)
  • OAK (far right side, along exit pathway, well signed)
  • OGG (right side as walking from AS check-in area)
  • ORD (terminal 3, checkpoint 8)
  • PDX (A/B/C checkpoint; PreCheck lane closes in evening, can use D/E PreCheck lane and airside walkway connector back to A/B/C)
  • PHL (D/E checkpoint has TSA Pre✓; Pre✓ also typically available at B [far side of AA counters from AS gates] but not C [near side of AA counters]; all of PHL is connected behind security)
  • PHX (First class TSA entrance in Terminal 2 is now for precheck and first)
  • PSC (PreCheck Lite available at the central, and only, checkpoint)
  • PSP (Left side of the TSA entry point. Note, they also send a lot of wheelchairs through there, so not always faster than the premium line.)
  • RDU (Terminal 2)
  • SAN (Terminal 1, far left lane)
  • SEA (south checkpoint 2, central checkpoint 3 [the one leading to the central food court] and north checkpoint 5)
  • SFO (International Terminal, A pier): enter at the center, the line dragon will point you to a separate line to the left if you have PreCheck on your boarding pass. Normal PreCheck.
  • SIT (Central checkpoint, Gate 1: PreCheck Lite)
  • SJC (terminal B)
  • SLC (use Terminal 2 checkpoint, All connected airside)
  • SMF (far left, terminals A and B)
  • SNA (terminal 1, lane 1)
  • STL (Alaska Terminal & Checkpoint, Right side)
  • TPA (Airside A)

Others listed on TSA's site as PreCheck airports but that FlyerTalkers have not verified. If you are familiar with any of these, please edit this wiki and move them to the above category!

-IAH (terminal C south)
-LIH (main terminal)
-MSP (checkpoint 4)

Links to other PreCheck-related threads on FlyerTalk
Airports with no Pre whatsoever:

GST
Print Wikipost

TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I wish the website would let you remove your Pass number. I put the wrong pass # on some of my reservations.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by CDKing
I wish the website would let you remove your Pass number. I put the wrong pass # on some of my reservations.
You can edit it in your profile--I think your PASS # changes when you renew. I can't change it on existing DL reservations...I think it's like secure flight data. Once you're ticketed, that info is entered into the system.

You should be able to call in and change it...
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL DM (through 2014) million miler, AS MVPGold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mczlaw
Flew home from LAS last night...nice TSA PreCheck line setup there (no one in it; very quiet @ LAS if you fly AS 620), but not available yet to AS flyers, as confirmed by remarkably friendly TSA agent. I suspected this was the case based on prior comments here, but I had included my GOES PassID # with my other rez info to see for myself.

Agent also confirmed major rollout later this year...So, we wait.

--mcz
I have flown several times this year through Vegas and the TSA there is definitely more friendly than other locations.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
ANC coming soon

According to the website, it is scheduled to be rolled out to several airports, including ANC in 2012.

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/escreening.shtm

One can only hope.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
PreCheck begins in SEA on Apr 24

Just received the following email from AS. I've bolded a few important details.

Earlier this year we sent an email informing you that you had qualified to participate in the Transportation Security Administration's TSA Pre✓™ initiative. In partnership with TSA, Alaska is proud to announce the launch of TSA Pre✓™ at the Seattle-Tacoma International airport April 24, 2012.

As a participant of TSA Pre✓™, you are entitled to use the TSA Pre✓™ lane at the north checkpoint. You will experience expedited screening – which means you can keep your shoes and belts on, as well as leave laptops and your 3-1-1 bag in your carry-on.

Once you register, there are a few things to know before you travel to ensure you receive expedited screening:
  • You must check in online at alaskaair.com, at a kiosk, or on a mobile device.
  • If you choose to check in with an agent or make changes to your reservation, please do so at the MVP Gold counter.
  • After check in, proceed directly to the north checkpoint.
  • TSA Pre✓™ includes a random screening component, so you are not guaranteed expedited screening every time. (This is a part of TSA's broader random security measures.)
  • Family members and traveling companions who are not TSA Pre✓™ eligible may not accompany the TSA Pre✓™ participants through the designated checkpoint lane.

At this time, Pre✓™ participants may only use Seattle-Tacoma International airport's TSA Pre✓™ checkpoint lane. In cooperation with TSA, Alaska Airlines is expanding TSA Pre✓™ to more airports throughout 2012. The TSA and Alaska Airlines will launch TSA Pre✓™ initiative at the Portland International airport in May.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Awesome news, thanks for sharing! ^
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: AS
Got this too. Only thing I'm bummed about is that it is at the North security gates. Even the Elite line there always feels like a zoo. Those lines just seem far less organized than the ones further south. That being said, I'll happily try it out a few times.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mr_sparky
Got this too. Only thing I'm bummed about is that it is at the North security gates. Even the Elite line there always feels like a zoo. Those lines just seem far less organized than the ones further south. That being said, I'll happily try it out a few times.
Agree about the the north security gates. I avoid it as much as I can. I find the security entrance that dumps you out in front of the food court to have the shortest lines.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:54 am
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Does this mean that if I give AS my MVP Gold number to register, I don't need any further action to use the PreCheck line?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA 1MM. Former UA 1K, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Jeeves
Agree about the the north security gates. I avoid it as much as I can. I find the security entrance that dumps you out in front of the food court to have the shortest lines.
I've used that entrance once, I think. They had the line for families with children right next to the elite line, and the two lines were sharing a single TSA agent checking ID. It was a disaster. The TSA agent would check an elite traveler, which would take 10 seconds; then an entire family with a mess of IDs and boarding passes, which would take 60-90 seconds; then repeat. The net effect was that the elite line was the slowest of all. I vowed never again. The elite line at the North entrance seems pretty well run to me -- nice and isolated from everyone else.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seaflyguy
I've used that entrance once, I think. They had the line for families with children right next to the elite line, and the two lines were sharing a single TSA agent checking ID. It was a disaster. The TSA agent would check an elite traveler, which would take 10 seconds; then an entire family with a mess of IDs and boarding passes, which would take 60-90 seconds; then repeat. The net effect was that the elite line was the slowest of all. I vowed never again. The elite line at the North entrance seems pretty well run to me -- nice and isolated from everyone else.
I must be using it during non-family time.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:03 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by seaflyguy
The elite line at the North entrance seems pretty well run to me -- nice and isolated from everyone else.
Since the remodel, what usually happens when I travel is that a TSA goon sees that the elite line in the back is very short, and shunts off 20 or so people at a time from the regular line. This usually happens right in front of me. I'm not sure if the TSA folks believe they are doing someone a service or if it's just a subtle jab at the elites, but it does seem like they purposely backfill the premium lane to the detriment of those actually entitled to use it.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by gba
Does this mean that if I give AS my MVP Gold number to register, I don't need any further action to use the PreCheck line?
You have to have been invited, and accepted the invitation, for the PreCheck program (as you imply you did). And as I understand it, if you have, that's all that's required.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
It seems to be the case however, that at this point (still the pilot) that if you participate because of your elite status with AS, you'll only be able to use it as an AS passenger at SEA. It appears that the TSA site is saying that ATL participation is for DL passengers (so does that mean we can't use it at ATL on AS or DL?) A case could be made either way.

Further, for those of us qualifying through participation in Global Entry, there doesn't appear to be any definitive information on where. I'm assuming it is only at those airports participating in the pilot with those airlines in the pilot (ie: AS at SEA, or AA at ORD at the proper screening area...).
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:34 am

Seattle Times article

Seattle Times has just posted its story on PreCheck coming to SEA for Alaska Airlines frequent fliers:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...recheck17.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.