New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

CX (Cathay) Award availability

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by parioneti
I tried booking DXB-HKG(Stopover)-SIN in mixed cabin (J and F),
and the lady is telling me she has to book two different rewards.
Is this true? Or should I huca?
Deleted my poor advice fyi

Last edited by kokinos; Sep 15, 2016 at 6:10 pm
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I tried booking DXB-HKG(Stopover)-SIN in mixed cabin (J and F),
and the lady is telling me she has to book two different rewards.
Is this true? Or should I huca?
We really should add "All AS awards on CX either end or start in North America or HKG" to the wiki, because this is a very common thing people miss.

Yes, it's two awards: DXB-HKG and HKG-SIN. AS does not have region-based award charts like other airlines. For CX, your award either starts or ends in North America or HKG. You can see this if you pull up the chart for Middle East-Asia: the CX award will say "Middle East to Hong Kong".

Originally Posted by kokinos
HUCA I just booked a flight in premium economy (No biz available) then a stopover in HKG and then business to my final destination. One award.
OP is trying to book DXB-HKG-SIN. Only North America awards get the stopover. Read the wiki.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Sep 15, 2016 at 4:08 pm
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
We really should add "All AS awards on CX either end or start in North America or HKG" to the wiki, because this is a very common thing people miss.

Yes, it's two awards: DXB-HKG and HKG-SIN. AS does not have region-based award charts like other airlines. For CX, your award either starts or ends in North America or HKG. You can see this if you pull up the chart for Middle East-Asia: the CX award will say "Middle East to Hong Kong".

OP is trying to book DXB-HKG-SIN. Only North America awards get the stopover. Read the wiki.
It's not the problem of Wiki. It's the problem of AS website. If you go to the following link. and choose Asia and Asia, it clearly shows Middle East in the picture. That's why I thought ME was included for some quirky reason. But I just confirmed with AS, that it has to be two separate awards and that chart or picture of the map is wrong.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not the problem of Wiki. It's the problem of AS website. If you go to the following link. and choose Asia and Asia, it clearly shows Middle East in the picture. That's why I thought ME was included for some quirky reason. But I just confirmed with AS, that it has to be two separate awards and that chart or picture of the map is wrong.
First of all, AS like all other airline programs does NOT classify Middle East as Asia although geographically Middle East is in Asia but no airline programs that I could think of, lump Middle East to Asia for award redemption purpose.

Pick Middle East to Asia.

You MISS the Title of the chart which says Hong Kong without a doubt

The title of CX chart says :

Middle East to Hong Kong

It does not say Asia. Hong Kong does not equal to Asia.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
It's the map that's wrong. The entire awards redemption site was not proofed when they went to the new style. Tons of errors that weren't fixed for months.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:14 am

so i just booked a BOM-HKG-ORD and the taxes/fees came out to ~$140..
That seemed a bit higher than expected...
The bom-hkg portion was around 30.
Does the 140 seem higher than expected? I think the agent might have made a mistake but I wanted to check here to make sure first
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VeryHumerus
Does the 140 seem higher than expected? I think the agent might have made a mistake but I wanted to check here to make sure first
There's a new tax for a third runway at HKG. Also lots of taxes on international flights entering the US. Plus partner fee. That doesn't sound ridiculous.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...acific-27.html

You're always welcome to buy a one way cash ticket on CX if you think you got ripped off...
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
There's a new tax for a third runway at HKG. Also lots of taxes on international flights entering the US. Plus partner fee. That doesn't sound ridiculous.

You're always welcome to buy a one way cash ticket on CX if you think you got ripped off...
We recently booked LAX-HKG-ICN and the return from HND and paid a total of $180 in taxes. Comparing to a trip we took in 2012, the total was only about $40 more. We found this to be precisely the "Airport Construction Fee" related to HKG's 3rd runway.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:46 am

Lol I didn't say it was ridiculous. I was just double checking because the opposite route was roughly 25 in taxes.
Lol ain't nobody paying 15,000 for Cathay F
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lol I didn't say it was ridiculous. I was just double checking because the opposite route was roughly 25 in taxes.
The US doesn't charge departure taxes for international flights, but they charge a LOT of entry taxes for inbound international (it's always been about ~$50-70 USD for me). My trip to LHR using AS miles? $5.60 TSA + partner fee. Trip back from ZRH? All kinds of taxes.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Quick question... if I book a J award with Alaksa Miles am I able to upgrade to F if space opens up?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Westin.
Quick question... if I book a J award with Alaksa Miles am I able to upgrade to F if space opens up?
Yes ofcourse. You will have to pay the difference in miles.

The upgrade change will be free more than 60 days out. It will cost $125 per person within 60 days window afaik.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by nomii
Yes ofcourse. You will have to pay the difference in miles.

The upgrade change will be free more than 60 days out. It will cost $125 per person within 60 days window afaik.
Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: *A
Is there a mistake in the wiki or does Cathay not release space from LHR and only LGW?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tennet1979
Is there a mistake in the wiki or does Cathay not release space from LHR and only LGW?
Yeah, it's a mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.