New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

CX (Cathay) Award availability

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:30 pm

"
I decided to add HKG-BKK to my JFK-HKG and on a whim decided to ask an agent to plug in JFK-BKK on CX rather than looking in segments,"

Somewhat related question; When I search for Hong Kong to Yvr, I find nothing. But when I search Hong Kong to JFK, I find availability on flights that Stop in YVR. Why is that?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CanuckFan
"
I decided to add HKG-BKK to my JFK-HKG and on a whim decided to ask an agent to plug in JFK-BKK on CX rather than looking in segments,"

Somewhat related question; When I search for Hong Kong to Yvr, I find nothing. But when I search Hong Kong to JFK, I find availability on flights that Stop in YVR. Why is that?
Married segments, maybe?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Married segments, maybe?
More likely that since it's the same flight number, HKG-YVR has no space, but HKG-YVR-JFK does as a direct flight. They are willing to sell an award seat to JFK, but not to YVR.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
More likely that since it's the same flight number, HKG-YVR has no space, but HKG-YVR-JFK does as a direct flight. They are willing to sell an award seat to JFK, but not to YVR.
Correct, even though it's the same flight number it's three distinct flight's with seperate booking inventory.

HKG-JFK
HKG-YVR
YVR-JFK

They know more people will be through passengers so they make space available for the longer flight. Same with the YVR-JFK if they sell too many of those they lose possible sales on the longer and more lucrative fare
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by sxc234
i am looking to book my first CX award using Alaska miles, does anyone know if the following itinerary is valid:

YYZ-HKG-SGN (Stop) - HKG-TPE (Destination) - HKG (Stop) - YYZ
Nope officially stopover is only allowed in HKG. Some have been lucky to get other stopover points but those were inroute stops. For example TPE is common connection city you are forced through when headed to Japan on CX so you could likey convince an agent to let you stop over in TPE on the way to Japan. SGN is not an example of an inroute stop
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA
I have LAX-HKG-AKL booked in F/J for summer 2017. I'm looking for a slight date change, but there is no direct HKG-AKL availability while LAX-HKG in F is available for lots of dates. I'm using BA.com.

Is HKG-AKL availability more difficult to find compared to US-HKG in J/F?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ruthenium101
Is HKG-AKL availability more difficult to find compared to US-HKG in J/F?
Probably. Less daily flights plus you're competing with AS folks who are dealing with the fact that North America-NZ/Australia is the most difficult award redemption around... and CX is one of the few escape valves for that if you're willing to route through HKG.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
AS's booking system must be terrible. Looking for MEL-HKG-LAX-SEA in J, the hard part was LAX-SEA! No trouble with the CX flights, but the agent's system apparently showed her only AA flights, which aren't valid of course, instead of AS flights for the LAX-SEA sector! After about 30 mins constructing it from scratch and speaking to other agents a couple of times, it was done.

Availability appeared to be similar to what Awardnexus (JL/CX search) told me. BA did not match, instead showing no availability the night I wanted but did show it the night before (which was not available according to JL/CX)!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Has anyone noticed a trend of CX not releasing all but 1 F seat last minute lately? I thought this was the rule, but lately watching inventory that is not happening. Appears flights with 2-3 seats open are going out with no award inventory offered to partners. One Mile at a Time had a post about this in late 2015 I think but I thought it was debunked.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:33 am

currently have a F LAX-HKG with a J HKG-BOM with a 16 hour layover.
Since I am paying for an F itinerary, I wanted to extend the time in F. I wanted to see what cities in the Indian Subcontinent/Middle East is served by Cathay F except BKK on friday/saturday. I dont mind spending some extra miles to connect to BOM from somewhere.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VeryHumerus
currently have a F LAX-HKG with a J HKG-BOM with a 16 hour layover.
Since I am paying for an F itinerary, I wanted to extend the time in F. I wanted to see what cities in the Indian Subcontinent/Middle East is served by Cathay F except BKK on friday/saturday. I dont mind spending some extra miles to connect to BOM from somewhere.
The only way you can connect to BOM from your destination using AS miles would be backtracking through HKG, on TWO awards (XXX-HKG, HKG-BOM).

If you're going to drop a lot of miles on a circuitous routing, you might as well fly to HND (which gets F consistently). In theory you could get F on USA-HKG, HKG-HND-HKG.

That or you should use another program's miles, or just buy a ticket.

I would suggest you ask in the CX forum... they probably know which routes are "sticky F equipment" better than AS folks. (CX is notorious for subs that take away F and longhaul J on some fairly short routes.)
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:13 am

ThAnks. The award LAX-HKG-BOM isn't two awards. It's one. I just figured that they might service the Middle East cities with F. Oh well, hopefully they add JAL soon so I can switch it to JAL LAX-HNd/NRT-DEL entirely in 1st.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VeryHumerus
ThAnks. The award LAX-HKG-BOM isn't two awards. It's one. I just figured that they might service the Middle East cities with F.
Right.

What I'm saying is that in order to accomplish the routing you desire using just CX and AS miles, you would need THREE AS awards. AS does not have a partner that will let you connect to BOM using miles other than using CX, routing you through HKG, AND breaking the journey into two awards at HKG.

Up to you if spending all that extra time in CX F is worth it for a circuitous routing and a lot of extra miles. I believe would be possible to do this as LAX-HKG-HND (award 1, all in F), HND-HKG(all in F, additional 27.5k miles), and HKG-BOM (C, 30k). But that's three awards (not one) and an additional 57.5k AS miles. But it would considerably prolong your time in CX F if you so desire.

It would be much more efficient to use a different program or buy a cash ticket if it's a short hop in Y, or just wait for JL to come online.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Sep 8, 2016 at 8:43 am
Old Sep 8, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold
This thread has been super helpful in booking CX awards. I have 2 tickets each way for next summer, SFO-HKG-JNB, JNB-HKG-LAX all in U (biz class).

I don't believe that the the HKG-JNB route has first, but there is one first class award ticket each on the SFO-HKG and HKG-SFO route. Should I upgrade my GF to first, and hope that something opens a week out so that I can upgrade my tickets? I've never flown CX before and not sure if it's worth the headache, extra cost (change fee?) and miles.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Right.

What I'm saying is that in order to accomplish the routing you desire using just CX and AS miles, you would need THREE AS awards. AS does not have a partner that will let you connect to BOM using miles other than using CX, routing you through HKG, AND breaking the journey into two awards at HKG.

Up to you if spending all that extra time in CX F is worth it for a circuitous routing and a lot of extra miles. I believe would be possible to do this as LAX-HKG-HND (award 1, all in F), HND-HKG(all in F, additional 27.5k miles), and HKG-BOM (C, 30k). But that's three awards (not one) and an additional 57.5k AS miles. But it would considerably prolong your time in CX F if you so desire.

It would be much more efficient to use a different program or buy a cash ticket if it's a short hop in Y, or just wait for JL to come online.
Right. Im sorry I didnt clarify. I was already planning on using a second airline to transfer from the second city to BOM. for example, if I had LAX-HKG-DOH, then i could just use BA or Oman Air to do the 3 hour connection. No need to spend another 57.5k. As it is I have a 15 hour layover that I wanted to shorten so just trying to find a way around that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.