Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP/G/75K Benefits on Delta Airlines (2010-2012 edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Consolidated benefits for AS Elites flying DL

MVP
  • Zone 1 Boarding
  • One Free checked bag
  • priority seating
  • 25% discount on International Economy Comfort
  • Space Available upgrades

MVPG/75K
  • Zone SKY Boarding
  • SkyPriority Checkin
  • SkyPriority Lane for Security
  • Two Free Checked Bags (70 lbs domestic, 50 lbs Intl)
  • Priority Seating
  • 50% discount on International Economy Comfort
  • Space Available upgrades
Print Wikipost

MVP/G/75K Benefits on Delta Airlines (2010-2012 edition)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Definitely a Y/B/M-up... Also check-in time serves as the tiebreaker if fare class and elite status are equal.

You were on "Y" which is an instant upgradeable fare, so did you go to your reservation online and upgrade your reservation? My understanding is that Y books directly into any open F seat, so you should have been upgraded if you talked with a CO agent before F filled up

I agree that the EUA process itself is not transparent, but the upgrade list is transparent and 98% of the time if someone jumps the list that person suckered into paying for it or used miles to upgrade.
I didn't think to check the reservation online while at the airport

I did speak to the CO agents at the Presidents Club - they didn't volunteer that they could upgrade me on the spot. Maybe the fact that it is IRROP Y makes a difference?

So people pay at 45 minutes out?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by GBadger
As far as I know:

- SWU: (at the gate only, not sure of pecking order here)
- Full Y: DM, PM, GM, FO/MVPG/MVP/STE+
- DM: B,M,H,Q,K,L,U,T,Award (priority within fare class given to DL AMEX Reserve holders)
- PM: B,M,H,Q,K,L,U,T,Award (priority within fare class given to DL AMEX Reserve holders)
- GM: B,M,H,Q,K,L,U,T,Award (priority within fare class given to DL AMEX Reserve holders)
- FO/ASMVP/STE+: B,M,H,Q,K,L,U,T (priority within fare class given to DL AMEX Reserve holders)
Thanks. So MVPG is very low unless you are on Full Y.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
DL's website now officially clarifies that MVPGs and MVPs get two free bags.

From http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ked/index.jsp:

Checked Baggage Exceptions

Please note the following exceptions:

* SkyMiles Medallion® members, Million Milers, Flying Colonels, Air France & KLM Elites, and Alaska Air MVP & MVP Gold Members traveling in Economy may check up to two bags up to 70 lbs each at no charge on Delta and Delta Connection operated flights.
However, the only reference to the cost of a third bag is on the excess baggage page (http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ge/index.jsp):

United States
Travel within the United States (including the U.S. Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico) Bag 3: 125 USD
Bags 4-10: 200 USD each
No mention of any discount is given for elite members (Medallion, MVP, or STE).

So, an MVP checking three bags will pay $125? Is that true? If so, that seems ridiculously excessive. It'd be cheaper to mail a suitcase than pay the excess bag fee (Priority Mail to Alaska would be $85; Parcel Post would be $51.72, though it'd take a week and a half)...
Old Feb 19, 2011, 1:52 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by jackal
DL's website now officially clarifies that MVPGs and MVPs get two free bags.

From http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ked/index.jsp:

However, the only reference to the cost of a third bag is on the excess baggage page (http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ge/index.jsp):

No mention of any discount is given for elite members (Medallion, MVP, or STE).

So, an MVP checking three bags will pay $125? Is that true? If so, that seems ridiculously excessive. It'd be cheaper to mail a suitcase than pay the excess bag fee (Priority Mail to Alaska would be $85; Parcel Post would be $51.72, though it'd take a week and a half)...
AFAIK there is no discount for the 3rd bag for elites. However...bear in mind that the first 2 bags can be up to 70lb each. Thus, you could take 140lb of checked baggage in 2 bags, 1 standard carryon, and 1 personal item free of charge.

Interesting that we as AS elites actually get more baggage allowance on DL than on AS. Taking the same weight of baggage on AS, you'd have to divide your 140lb of checked among 3 bags and pay $20 each way for the 3rd, or pay overweight fees for 2 ($50/bag each way).

Now...if you're connecting from AS onto DL international as an AS elite, will AS allow you 2 70lb bags???

From the website:

Exceptions to Checked Baggage Charges

Customers making international connections to other airlines within twelve hours of arriving in your connection city, may follow the baggage allowance and weight restrictions of the international airline - provided a ticketing and baggage agreement is in place between Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air and your other carrier. Please contact Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY/TDD Users: 1-800-682-2221) or Horizon Air Reservations at 1-800-547-9308 for more information.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dabears1020
I think that just shows the same data as delta.com.
Yes and no. It *used to* show which seats were open, even if they were blocked... Not sure if that is still the case.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hgdf
So an ASMVP would trump an FO on a lower fare class? I've heard various people at AS claim that this is the case, yet I'm still skeptical.
That's the word on the street, but haven't checked with anyone officially. Why are you skeptical? I've seen plenty of reports where AS MVPs were not last on the upgrade list, but rather 2 or 3 from the bottom.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl
I didn't think to check the reservation online while at the airport

I did speak to the CO agents at the Presidents Club - they didn't volunteer that they could upgrade me on the spot. Maybe the fact that it is IRROP Y makes a difference?

So people pay at 45 minutes out?
Yeah One time I was on IRROPs and was rebooked in Y and when checking my reservation it said "Elite Instant Upgradeable Fare" or something like that, but F was booked full, because this was a downgauge...

Most definitely... People would watch the upgrade list and if they realize that they have no chance at EUA they would pay for it at the last minute. You can easily do it in the PClub 5 minutes before heading out to the gate...
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:19 pm

That's the word on the street, but haven't checked with anyone officially. Why are you skeptical? I've seen plenty of reports where AS MVPs were not last on the upgrade list, but rather 2 or 3 from the bottom.
Or maybe the people below us were Delta elites' companions?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 7:31 pm

Certainly possible.

To be quite honest, I don't know why DL would place AS MVPs with FOs instead of behind them. Not as though DL medallions get advance upgrade priority with AS MVPs (at least not that I'm aware of).
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Certainly possible.

To be quite honest, I don't know why DL would place AS MVPs with FOs instead of behind them. Not as though DL medallions get advance upgrade priority with AS MVPs (at least not that I'm aware of).
Probably easier for IT... Less coding.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Sorry if this has been covered earlier!

For upgrade (and elite benefit purposes generally), is there any advantage to either booking at Delta, adding one's AS FF#, or buying the AS codeshare for the same flight?

Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
For upgrade (and elite benefit purposes generally), is there any advantage to either booking at Delta, adding one's AS FF#, or buying the AS codeshare for the same flight?
Purchasing your ticket through AS means that you are subject to the AS cancellation policy and associated fee waiver as a Gold. You will still be eligible for preferred seats on DL, but might have to explain to the agents that yes, you are on a DL flight. Online and/or kiosk check-in may not be available as the DL computer system doesn't seem to recognize that DL is operating the flight.

Booking with DL saves a lot of hassle, but you lose the AS cancellation policy and will need to call DL in the event of IROPS as DL issued the ticket and is also the operating carrier.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I traveled on an AS codeshare shortly after the "enhancement" took effect. I could not print a bp online, but had the SC dragon do it @ ATL; coming home, I printed it at an RSW kiosk upon arrival. There were no upgrades at the time, but now I'm concerned about getting on that list correctly (not that I expect to actually get upgraded, and they're only 515 mile flights each way).

I had forgotten about the change fee, so AS makes a lot more sense!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl
Thanks. So MVPG is very low unless you are on Full Y.
It seems that it's even worse than expected -- not too long ago I heard from several DL insiders that DL FOs on any fare class trump AS MVPs (including Gold and 75K).
Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
It seems that it's even worse than expected -- not too long ago I heard from several DL insiders that DL FOs on any fare class trump AS MVPs (including Gold and 75K).
Correct. I just saw confirmation on the delta forum

We're below silver, grouped in with companions

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16112447-post5.html

A UP6 is "AF AND KL ELITE/AM ELITE/AS ELITE/AND DL MEDALLIONCOMPANIONS CFMD IN COACH AND DESIRING COMP MEDALLION

UPGRADE TO FIRST OR BUSINESS CLASS
see priority 6 on the upgrade window chart on DL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.