Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time flying alone -- any tips?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Zembla
No. Roaming through the city on weekends is a favorit hobby of mine.
Unless of course everybody means the gypsy looking beggars. Them I see, also in the poshest areas. But them I also ignore. I've really never been hassled or something.
You'll often see them in the busiest and most touristic metro stations. They usually go for tourists. As others mentioned, no need to be paranoid about it. Just keep an eye on your belongings and you should be safe. I've seen them many times in the metro but never had an issue.

And to go back to the OP's questions: happy to give more advice if you have more specific questions. Question is a bit vague !

EDIT: Just realized the thread had been bumped but is basically 18 months old, so OP is probably safely back home by now ;-) Anyway, might be useful for others !
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
There is no "no go zone" in Paris as described by Nolan Peterson for Fox news last week.
http://www.canalplus.fr/c-divertisse...ml?vid=1198979
Back to the OP question: pay attention to your neighbor on the plane: during a night CO flight from Rio to Houston in eco, I have been robbed all my airport purchases that I just put next to my bag over my cabin seat... The best is to put them in your bag.

Last edited by delanotre; Jan 24, 2015 at 8:30 am
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:13 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by weka
Going from Ohio to Minnisota to Paris, France using Air France.

Any tips?
- Don't talk to strangers
- Only accept candies from the flight attendant
- Never touch other passenger's bags

Now, on a serious matter:

- At MSP, check your assigned gate once you arrive. Bring your Delta-issued boarding pass and your passport as soon as the gate staff arrives, most of the time they will need to verify your documents and even issue a new boarding pass since the DL-issued one cannot be read.

- Even if there is plenty of entertainment options onboard, bring your own as well. If you have a tablet or laptop, load it with your favorite games, you will see how fast time goes when you are playing.

- Bring a small bag of snacks. Food on Air France flights from the US to CDG leave a lot to be desired, so having a backup snack is always good.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
- The only material things that absolutely can't be forgotten when travelling are your passport and your credit card. Check that you have them before you leave and again at every important stage in your trip (when you change towns, hotels, return, etc).

- Exchange a bit of money into euros before leaving and try to get small banknotes or even some coins if possible. Of course, you'll be able to withdraw some anywhere in France, but when you first arrive, even to buy your RER ticket to Paris, a bit of cash will enable you to use all cash machines (for some reason, some always seem to fail with credit cards!)

- Go abroad with a fresh and open mind. Always keep your eyes, ears, and nose wide open, ready to absorb views, sounds, and smells that you are not used to. Don't ask yourself how x and y differ from home (or try to replicate what you can get at home) but rather try to ask yourself how you can get the best of what you can find in the place that you are visiting. For instance, if you try to get US-style coffee in France, it will not be good. Just try and drink the coffee French people drink - tiny espressos ("un café") or the same with a touch of foam ("une noisette"). You can also try a longer espresso with milk ("un crème") or hot chocolate ("un chocolat") knowing that they will both be significantly more expensive (between twice and three times the price). If you fancy a soft drink, don't ask for a coke but try an orangina or a sirop de grenadine or sirop de menthe, etc, if you fancy meet, don't just go for beef or chicken which you can have so easily in the US, but go for the meats which are harder to get there: suckling lamb, veal, duck, rabbit, game, etc.

- Prepare and ask. Ask friends or family who have been there for recommendations, ask people at your hotel, and ask people in restaurants, shops, or markets that you visit. For instance, people in open air markets typically know what are good and cheap restaurants around because they know who they sell things to, people in shops will know where are the good bakeries around because this is likely where they buy their sandwiches for lunch or an occasional mid-morning croissant, etc.

- Learn a few words of French. Just being able to say hello, good bye, please and thank you in the language of the people you are visiting makes a difference. Even if you don't know how to speak French, just ask people first whether they speak English, just to acknowledge that you are on their turf and realise that you would ideally want to be able to speak to people in their language, and they will be much nicer to you.

- I'm assuming that if it is your first trip abroad, you are probably young, and very often, young travellers need to be careful about their budgets. Still, try and remember that a few things are worth spending a bit extra, which nature depend on every one of us. Maybe it will be that taking three buses would be much cheaper but that particular evening you are so tired that a taxi will make a huge difference, or maybe it is the case that you can eat a simple sandwich or snack many meals but treat yourself to a great restaurant once in a while, or maybe again you know that having a coffee on a terrace on a famous square will imply a premium but it so happens that you just fancy the feeling that you are sitting down in that magic place for an hour even if that coffee is at an absurd price.

- Travel light. You can always buy something you forgot once you have arrived, but dragging useless things during your trip is a waste of energy plus you might miss the free space to bring some stuff back!

- Enjoy yourself! Sure, I agree with others above that anywhere in the world once should be street savvy and display minimal care and awareness, but not to the point of always fearing the worst or preventing yourself from enjoying your surroundings. You are not visiting a warzone or a dangerous country by any standard, and while bad things can always happen anywhere, the most likely scenario is that none will and you don't want to have been so worried all along that you never got to relax!

Last edited by orbitmic; Jan 26, 2015 at 1:40 am Reason: typos + BadgerBoi's recommended creme!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by orbitmic
- The only material things that absolutely can't be forgotten when travelling are your passport and your credit card. Check that you have them before you leave and again at every important stage in your trip (when you change towns, hotels, return, etc).

- Exchange a bit of money into euros before leaving and try to get small banknotes or even some coins if possible. Of course, you'll be able to withdraw some anywhere in France, but when you first arrive, even to buy your RER ticket to Paris, a bit of cash will enable you to use all cash machines (for some reason, some always seem to fail with credit cards!)

- Go abroad with a fresh and open mind. Always keep your eyes, ears, and nose wide open, ready to absorb views, sounds, and smells that you are not used to. Don't ask yourself how x and y differ from home (or try to replicate what you can get at home) but rather try to ask yourself how you can get the best of what you can find in the place that you are visiting. For instance, if you try to get US-style coffee in France, it will not be good. Just try and drink the coffee French people drink - tiny espressos. If you fancy a soft drink, don't ask for a coke but try an orangina or a sirop de grenadine or sirop de menthe, etc, if you fancy meet, don't just go for beef or chicken which you can have so easily in the US, but go for the meats which are harder to get there: suckling lamb, veal, duck, rabbit, game, etc.

- Prepare and ask. Ask friends or family who have been there for recommendations, ask people at your hotel, and ask people in restaurants, shops, or markets that you visit. For instance, people in open air markets typically know what are good and cheap restaurants around because they know who they sell things to, people in shops will know where are the good bakeries around because this is likely where they buy their sandwiches for lunch or an occasional mid-morning croissant, etc.

- Learn a few words of French. Just being able to say hello, good buy, please and thank you in the language of the people you are visiting makes a difference.

- I'm assuming that if it is your first trip abroad, you are probably young, and very often, young travellers need to be careful about their budgets. Still, try and remember that a few things are worth spending a bit extra, which nature depend on every one of us. Maybe it will be that taking three buses would be much cheaper but that particular evening you are so tired that a taxi will make a huge difference, or maybe it is the case that you can eat a simple sandwich or snack many meals but treat yourself to a great restaurant once in a while, or maybe again you know that having a coffee on a terrace on a famous square will imply a premium but it so happens that you just fancy the feeling that you are sitting down in that magic place for an hour even if that coffee is at an absurd price.

- Travel light. You can always buy someone you forgot once you have arrived, but dragging useless things during your trip is a waste of energy plus you might miss the free space to bring some stuff back!

- Enjoy yourself! Sure, I agree with others above that anywhere in the world once should be street savvy and display minimal care and awareness, but not to the point of always fearing the worst or preventing yourself from enjoying your surroundings. You are not visiting a warzone or a dangerous country by any standard, and while bad things can always happen anywhere, the most likely scenario is that none will and you don't want to have been so worried all along that you never got to relax!
I'm speechless - any first time traveller to France (or to many countries) should just print out this post and memorise it, I can't remember the last time I saw so much excellent advice in one post.
^^^

(I'll add though, if you can't stomach black coffee then ordering a café crème is usually pretty good. Not always, but usually)
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Watch out for pickpockets on the RER and metro lines.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I'm speechless - any first time traveller to France (or to many countries) should just print out this post and memorise it, I can't remember the last time I saw so much excellent advice in one post.
^^^

(I'll add though, if you can't stomach black coffee then ordering a café crème is usually pretty good. Not always, but usually)
Thanks for the kind words - and good advice on the crème, so I've updated my coffee item with the difference between café, noisette, crème, et chocolat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.