Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time flying alone -- any tips?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:36 am
Original Poster

First time flying alone -- any tips?

Going from Ohio to Minnisota to Paris, France using Air France.

Any tips?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Welcome to FT!

Ensure you get an aisle or window seat, long haul on your own in the middle is no fun. This was major learning from my first time in your situation.

Make sure you have your plan to get from GDC to wherever you are staying in Paris (no-one in Europe uses the France bit) before you leave as getting to a strange country after a long flight can be daunting, especially if you dont speak the language. Like any city Paris can be a bit rough in places so its best to look confident like you know where you are heading to.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
About anything in particular?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Be prepared but don't worry. Paris is generally an easy going, amazing, and beatifull city.
Concerning the flights I have nothing to ad. Enjoy!
Old Jun 15, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
About anything in particular?
Beware of the groups of gypsy looking girls in the underground or in the streets. They are thieves. If you confront them, they will fight back and scream that you hit one of them in order to destabilise you. Better avoid being close to them. They mean trouble.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by carnarvon
Beware of the groups of gypsy looking girls in the underground or in the streets. They are thieves. If you confront them, they will fight back and scream that you hit one of them in order to destabilise you. Better avoid being close to them. They mean trouble.
Seriously? Never noticed that in my years in Paris!?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Zembla
Yes. It's a very serious problem in Paris for many years (and in other big touristic cities like Barcelona) but it's becoming more and more difficult to handle. But we don't have to fall into paranoia and just take standard precautions.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 2:49 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by carnarvon
But don't be frightened, best thing to do is pretend they are invisible and you'll probably be left alone. Paris is very safe, as long as you exercise the same caution you would anywhere you should be fine.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
But don't be frightened, best thing to do is pretend they are invisible and you'll probably be left alone. Paris is very safe, as long as you exercise the same caution you would anywhere you should be fine.
Absolutely
Old Jun 16, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: Eurobonus
Watch where you step. Dog sh#t... everywhere !
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Wilbur12
Watch where you step. Dog sh#t... everywhere !
This!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, HON, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Zembla
wow you must restrict yourself to some very refined areas. A problem across the city and to a lesser extent Lyons and Marseille.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Maigret
wow you must restrict yourself to some very refined areas. A problem across the city and to a lesser extent Lyons and Marseille.
Worst one I ever saw, young woman was sitting tucked under the window at a ticket office at Chatelet grabbing at the legs of everyone who stepped up - the ticket sellers didn't know she was there. But as I said in an earlier post, just pretend they're invisible and they melt away - I've travelled to Paris many times and never had any problems.

Stay aware of your surroundings just as you would anywhere (even at home) and you'll be fine. You're only going to hear the horror stories, nobody ever writes to Rick Steves and says "I just got back from Paris, I didn't get robbed on the metro or have my bag snatched by gypsies. Very disappointing trip".
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Maigret
wow you must restrict yourself to some very refined areas.
No. Roaming through the city on weekends is a favorit hobby of mine.
Unless of course everybody means the gypsy looking beggars. Them I see, also in the poshest areas. But them I also ignore. I've really never been hassled or something.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Exclamation

A beggar is a beggar(thief) be it a Gypsy or French!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.