Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread is about AC giving a free bump up in status when one is very, very, very close to the next status level at year end.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT STATUS BUY-UP OFFERS

FOR STATUS BUY-UP OFFERS, REFER TO THIS THREAD
Print Wikipost

FAQ: I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
In the past, there was an undocumented practice of a bump for a small shortage in some cases, hence the thread. The rule of thumb was always that it was never guaranteed.
This year, there is the new wrinkle of buy-your-way-up. My uninformed interpretation of that new wrinkle is that if AC is offering to sell the bump for $X, it seems far less likely than in the past that they would be planning to give the bump for free.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AC*E; pick a number between 25 and 50K
Another data point (two, in fact) for consideration

My 2016 numbers: 72,411 AQM + $16,133 AQD = E50K

Mrs Murm's 2016: 49,520 AQM + $8768 AQD = E50K

Interesting to note that the Mrs. receiving numerous emails inviting her to buy up to E50K . . . glad we didn't take the bait.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by murmurdoc
My 2016 numbers: 72,411 AQM + $16,133 AQD = E50K

Mrs Murm's 2016: 49,520 AQM + $8768 AQD = E50K

Interesting to note that the Mrs. receiving numerous emails inviting her to buy up to E50K . . . glad we didn't take the bait.
Unclear, did you get the bump up?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It seems like the Mrs got bumped up to E50K, having exceeded the AQD, but being short by 480 AQM.

Whereas murmurdoc was short 2589 AQM, but again exceeded the AQD, and was not bumped up.

I can't say I'm really surprised.

In the past, it was "if you're short by a small threshold, you get bumped up". I expect the only difference now is that being short would apply to AQM/AQS, but you still need to have hit the AQD.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:37 pm
Original Member

So a $16k customer is worth the same as an $8k customer?

Clearly the retention of aqs/aqm requirements in the face of AQD is nonsensical.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
As per my signature, I made the AQM line, but am short on AQD sitting at $1890. I have recently written in asking for recalculation of AQD on two different itins.

I haven't been bumped up, haven't been asked to select benefits for any level at all for 2017, and neither have I been asked to buy up. Not feeling any love.
--
13F
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC*E; pick a number between 25 and 50K
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Unclear, did you get the bump up?
Nope - she did, but I did not, despite $AQD well beyond the threshold.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: air canada
Short 1 segment. Need advice.

In December due to bad weather I had to reroute my flight to RSW and lost a segment This lost leg prevented me from achieving 75k status for third consecutive year. Got notification of achieving 50k. Any suggestions on trying to get AC to reconsider? Or just bad luck and suck it up. Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:17 pm

I'm short 10 AQM for 50k status.

Would calling AC help?

I've been shorted AQM on several flights, even after allowing myself 500 miles over 50k.

Ex. 3546 from YYZ to LHR, instead of 3564, or 6600 from YYZ to ICN instead of 6643, etc. (using the timetable as reference: https://services.aircanada.com/portal/rest/timetable/pdf/ac-timetable-en.pdf). This also affects the booking class bonus.

Rather not make another flight for a meager 10 AQM.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: AC MM, SE100K
Originally Posted by funboytwo

Would calling AC help?

I've been shorted AQM on several flights, even after allowing myself 500 miles over 50k.

Ex. 3546 from YYZ to LHR, instead of 3564, or 6600 from YYZ to ICN instead of 6643, etc. (using the timetable as reference: https://services.aircanada.com/porta...metable-en.pdf). This also affects the booking class bonus.

The mileage in the timetable is generally greater than the mileage awarded. I've never seen an explanation of this. But YYZ-LHR has always got me 3546 miles, and 6600 for YYZ-ICN.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by WoodlandCreature
The mileage in the timetable is generally greater than the mileage awarded. I've never seen an explanation of this. But YYZ-LHR has always got me 3546 miles, and 6600 for YYZ-ICN.
I'll log the actual kilometres on my next flight and compare it to the miles I get.

Other than that I'm hoping they just bump me up to 50k instead of making me find a 10 AQM flight.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I would be surprised if you were awarded early recognition without meeting the criteria. And, what difference does it make if you won't fly again this year?

If you have the AQD, I would be equally surprised if you don't get your status next year.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Just a reminder.....

@Adam Smith created an awesome chart with city-pair mileage amounts based on all of our contributions, drivelled form the miles that were actually awarded by Aeroplan.

I've searching for the thread, but if Adam or someone else finds it first, please post the link

EDIT: Found it. See the Google Doc mileage chart and see tab "Mileage Table"

New & improved Calculator for AQM, Aeroplan miles & AQD ...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...miles-aqd.html
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I'll log the actual kilometres on my next flight and compare it to the miles I get.

Other than that I'm hoping they just bump me up to 50k instead of making me find a 10 AQM flight.
Problem is the bump up won't happen until Feb 2018. If it doesn't happen, it's too late to do anything about it.

I think you will get it, but I don't work for AC and if you don't get it, I can't be held responsible.

Let us know what happens.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

As others have said, "maybe". But 50K bumps you up to *G and MLL access everywhere, and the 25% more bonus miles. You don't say where you are based, but it might well be worth a mileage run sometime in the next 4 months, on a super sale, to get that level next year.

Or not, its your cash and your benefits next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.