Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread is about AC giving a free bump up in status when one is very, very, very close to the next status level at year end.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT STATUS BUY-UP OFFERS

FOR STATUS BUY-UP OFFERS, REFER TO THIS THREAD
Print Wikipost

FAQ: I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
What are you saying. This thread says AC will consider. I am over 95000 status miles, long time SE, AC MM.

Please clarify.
5k might be a bit much for an automatic algorithm-based bump to SE, such as "let's comp everyone above X". X=95k is probably a little low.

But 95k by a long time SE*MM who contacts the Altitude program about the matter has as good a chance as any of being comped.

A colleague of mine was comped SE after coming up much shorter than that one year because he was grounded for a bit that year with a medical complaint and was planning to fly the usual amount the following year, which he did. There was no back and forth asking for "proof" or a "doctor's note". It was just comped. There are also reports of other cases where "proof" was requested (I believe there was a thread containing substantial amounts of wailing and gnashing of teeth at the level of insult perceived when this request was made.)
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:40 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Thanks for all your responses.

All of you are surmising the situation and what I was looking for were facts. In fact the AE policy used to be if one had between 95k and 100K, it was an automatic renewal of SE status. What I was trying to find out was if this is still the policy and I believe it is.

However a further wrinkle occurred to me namely that if AC/AE gave me the renewed status (which I am sure they would do for a first time offence on a 25+ yr track record etc, ACMM, AE top level distinction, etc), I bet they would not give me the threshold bonus of crossing the SE line at 100k, which are many valuable E-ups valid to end of Feb 2017. Those are very valuable to me so I will not risk it.

I will not change my return ticket from Brazil which is booked in P on Dec 31 as a result. Pure E-ups motivated. I had only wondered of changing it to early January so as to receive the new status miles and dollars in 2016.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 29, 2015 at 10:08 pm
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:06 pm

All of you are surmising the situation and what I was looking for were facts. In fact the AE policy used to be if one had between 95k and 100K, it was an automatic renewal of SE status. What I was trying to find out was if this is still the policy and I believe it is.

However a further wrinkle occurred to me namely that if AC/AE gave me the renewed status (which I am sure they would do for a first time offence on a 25+ yr track record etc, ACMM, AE top level distinction, etc), I bet they would not give me the threshold bonus of crossing the SE line at 100k, which are many valuable E-ups valid to end of Feb 2017. Those are very valuable to me so I will not risk it.

I will not change my return ticket from Brazil which is booked in P on Dec 31 as a result. Pure E-ups motivated. I had only wondered of changing it to early January so as to receive the new status miles and dollars in 2016.

If you spent > $20K with AC, maybe, based on new program it's clear $ spend is part of any status going forward and i suspect will be on any comp for people short on miles or segments.

What you did in past has 0.0 % to do with status, 2015 spend might along with what you may do in 2016

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 29, 2015 at 10:08 pm
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by xLuther
If you spent > $20K with AC, maybe, based on new program it's clear $ spend is part of any status going forward and i suspect will be on any comp for people short on miles or segments.

What you did in past has 0.0 % to do with status, 2015 spend might along with what you may do in 2016
I get what you are saying but AC has made it pretty clear its $20,000 AND 100,000aqm or 95aqs. So that makes me think they won't be giving it just because you hit 20k.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I think we should all agree on the answer "it depends" with the note "most likely not", and just close this thread.

But I guess it's fun to discuss this.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I get what you are saying but AC has made it pretty clear its $20,000 AND 100,000aqm or 95aqs. So that makes me think they won't be giving it just because you hit 20k.
I think getting comped to the level depends on the level, how close and how much you spent.

2 years ago the wife was around 1500 miles short of 35K and got comped to 35K thinking back it was all AC and most in J to Europe so decent spend.

My thinking, with new program, AC has been tracking spend closer than I thought. For SE, unless someone spent $20K with AC you are dreaming if you think they will give you SE if you missed millage or segment requirment by more than 1, 000 or 2 miles.

5K miles is big miss under system going forward all things considered, without hitting spend number no way AC going to comp anyone. AC is clearly firing SE's , there are going to be a lot of new E75K or E50K after 2016. I see no reason to expect a lot of comped Se100 that missed numbers in 2015, they want less SE's ( unless you spend on AC)

Last edited by xLuther; Dec 30, 2015 at 7:21 am
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry

I'm super curious about this! I would assume that the person, team or mechanism managing the 'comps' would take a whole whack of factors into consideration when determining if a customer deserves the comp. If it were me, and considering the move to AQD in 2016, I would be perfectly ok if a longtime SE missed 100k by up to 5% *and* spent at least the minimum $20k I'm looking for moving forward. I'm just not absolutely certain that AC sees things the same way

Good luck and let us know how it works out ^
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ffsim
I'm super curious about this! I would assume that the person, team or mechanism managing the 'comps' would take a whole whack of factors into consideration when determining if a customer deserves the comp. If it were me, and considering the move to AQD in 2016, I would be perfectly ok if a longtime SE missed 100k by up to 5% *and* spent at least the minimum $20k I'm looking for moving forward. I'm just not absolutely certain that AC sees things the same way

Good luck and let us know how it works out ^
AC has already set their precedence with regards to spend. A 6 month unlimited FP costs in excess of 20K and allows for automatic Elite status.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by YEG2MM
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffsim

Good luck and let us know how it works out

AC has already set their precedence with regards to spend. A 6 month unlimited FP costs in excess of 20K and allows for automatic Elite status.
Short version of my thoughts, you have shot if you actually paid AC $20K in 2015 , automatic if @95k and <$ 20K spend not a chance. ( based on reports here) Getting 'facts' from AC , not a chance ,

mythical 'they did 'x' in past, do they still do this well? ', never seen in writing from AC now or in past going with not a chance

But hey good luck and post what happens would be interesting if they do.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:35 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Interesting that most of you think the AQD are already in effect in 2015 for renewal purposes. I would have thought differently as AQD were not a factor for 2015 or 2016 renewal.

I suspect many of you are jumping the gun on this.

Nevertheless, I will remain with my flight on Dec 31 and more than comfortably cross the SE line for the 15th time! (actually I have lost count but I have been SE since almost day one---when was that?)

I also remain convinced if I asked they would have renewed my SE status as I believe the 95K + policy is still in effect. Further my long time SE status, AE Diamond, AC MM status should trump everything.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have failed to get an upgrade where I had a valid E-cert. Actually it does not even require 5 fingers!!!! LOL. Referring to long haul flights only.

Last edited by 100,000miler; Dec 30, 2015 at 7:47 pm
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100 MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Plat, National Exec Elite, NEXUS
Coming up short...

Finished the year at 98,098 AQM. I could have jumped on flight to make sure I hit 100K over my self-imposed Christmas break but honestly I wanted to see if AC would show some consideration given my loyalty (past SE & 700K+ lifetime) and bump me up even though I was just short. Sadly, thus far it appears that they do not provide such consideration.

I'm a newbie here and wonder if anyone ever received such consideration in the past or was I mistaken to believe that this "might" even be a possibility?? Interested in your collective thoughts...

Thanks,

Andrew
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Welcome to FT. It might be a possibility, but no one knows for sure. Loyalty means nothing by the way. Previous spend = no one cares. Altitude is a rewards program, not a loyalty program.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Sales_guru
Finished the year at 98,098 AQM. I could have jumped on flight to make sure I hit 100K over my self-imposed Christmas break but honestly I wanted to see if AC would show some consideration given my loyalty (past SE & 700K+ lifetime) and bump me up even though I was just short. Sadly, thus far it appears that they do not provide such consideration.

I'm a newbie here and wonder if anyone ever received such consideration in the past or was I mistaken to believe that this "might" even be a possibility?? Interested in your collective thoughts...

Thanks,

Andrew
AC of by gone years use to bump up.

Ben Smith is one of the few AC C-Suits who recognises loyalty . I suggest you email him or alternatively you can call him. PM me happy to give you his contact details.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It might be a possibility. It might be done without you asking. It might require you to ask. Or it might not be possible at all.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sales_guru
Finished the year at 98,098 AQM. I could have jumped on flight to make sure I hit 100K over my self-imposed Christmas break but honestly I wanted to see if AC would show some consideration given my loyalty (past SE & 700K+ lifetime) and bump me up even though I was just short.
They may. Or if they do not on their own, you can still try and ask.

Given the new requirements for 2017, it may well be that the answer will depend upon how much you spent. If it's not too low, I would expect them to comp you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.