Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Please list your AP Taxes and SURCHARGES on AP reward tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Fan
Routes that do not have fuel surcharges (YQ) when operated by carriers that normally charge YQ:

1. USA-Germany-Other country. If only the Germany-other country segment is on LH it does not have YQ. E.g. DFW-FRA-BLR with TATL on UA and FRA-BLR on LH.
2. USA-Canada-Other country. The USA-Canada segment on AC does not have YQ if the Canada-Other country segment is operated by a carrier that does not charge YQ. E.g. DFW-YYZ-ADD.
Print Wikipost

Please list your AP Taxes and SURCHARGES on AP reward tickets

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
The ticket is likely worth something like $5000-6000 or more (F class I redeem for would normally sell for north of $10k). I agree that it's annoying but I think it's potentially both a:

a) Deterrent for premium cabin redemption for those not willing to pony up $ (although on some markets economy isn't too much less)
b) Way to recapture some funds (assuming funds go to AC as I believe they do) from redemptions.

So worst-case, your points are still "buying" an 80-90% discount. I think this is still relatively fair, but for those of us who don't there are ways around it which aren't as time-efficient.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:26 pm

Another reason for the high fees for YYZ-LHR return is the ex-LHR Air Passenger Duty - an extortionate tax imposed by the UK on premium tickets that runs into the hundreds of dollars.

So it's not ALL AC's fault (but mostly is.)

High fuel surcharges aren't new - they've been around for a few years if you choose to fly AC metal. It's a massive deterrent to the masses to actually use their AP points (oh how many times have I heard friends and family complain to me about how high Aeroplan charges are), but there are still many ways to efficiently and cheaply use them.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Swiss

Fredericton - Montreal -Zurich - Berlin and return in business on Swiss $170.31.

A nice change from earlier this year going to London in business $1,200+....
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yvrgary
Just as a sample, the following are all taken from the same dates and flights, April 13 and 20, 2015.

BOOKING WITH AEROPLAN POINTS

YYZ-LHR return, economy, $732 in misc fees.

YYZ-LHR return, business, $1245 in misc fees.

BOOKING WITH CASH

YYZ-LHR return, economy, $271 in misc fees, total cost $882

YYZ-LHR return, business, $403 in misc fees, total cost $5186

Incorrect.

YYZ-LHR return, business, $403 in misc fees which *do not include* fuel surcharge, of $820. Adds up to same amount as Aeroplan.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YYC-TPE-CDG-YYC. Originally first leg on AC to NRT and then NH, NH to CDG, AC back to YYC. For my wife. All in business. Paid S1047.33.

Switched to YYC-YVR-TPE with last leg on BR, then BR non-stop to CDG. Return still on AC, got reimbursed $568.90.

For myself, I bought YYC-TPE, $1075.10 plus the TA's surcharge, something like $36, plus 25,000 miles to upgrade. Also bought TPE-CDG, smoething like $989, plus 30,000 miles from my wife's less valuable Aeroplan account (no IKK). i'll use a latitude pass for the return, currently valued at $1490.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:01 pm

Hello,

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

Redeemed 15000 for YYZ-YUL, then used the Amex AeroPlat for the partner ticket.

Paid $168 (per ticket).

T
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Torsades
Hello,

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

Redeemed 15000 for YYZ-YUL, then used the Amex AeroPlat for the partner ticket.

Paid $168 (per ticket).

T
Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:30 pm

Just booked:

LAX-SAL-LIM-MVD 45000 miles BIZ class

U.S. Passenger Safety Fee $5.60
U.S. International Transportation Tax $17.50
U.S Passenger Facility Charge $4.50

Total $27.60

EZE-IAH-DEN-SAN 45000 miles BIZ Class

U.S. Passenger Safety Fee $5.60
Argentina Immigration Tax $10.00
Argentina Security Tax $10.00
U.S. International Transportation Tax $17.50
U.S Agriculture Fee $5.00
U.S Passenger Facility Charge $7.50
Argentina International Airport Tax $43.93
U.S.A Immigration User Fee $7.00
U.S. Customs User Fee $5.50

Total $112.03
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:08 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Originally Posted by Shareholder
As an SE it's cheaper for you to buy a Flex fare and use eUpgrades.

Also the reason nobody from AE/AIMIA will come onto FT.
Agreed and I am surprised at the lack of outrage here over these new AE add ons.

Does anyone have some suggestions for me to get from YOW to LHR Oct 1 return Oct 5 or 6. I cannot find any available reward seats on other *A carriers in J class. As a loyal SE I am offended by AEs new fee surcharges of over $1200.

I can easily depart via another gateway such as YYZ, YUL, BOS, EWR, ORD, JFK, IDA, etc on another *A carrier but this is not easily booked on the AE website.

thanks
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 100,000miler
Agreed and I am surprised at the lack of outrage here over these new AE add ons.
New? where have you been. no outrage now because it's old story, that's all.

reality is that Aeroplan miles have been seriously devalued over the last ten/fifteen years.

If Aeroscam sells miles at 0.7 cents, and they need to make a profit, what do you expect?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
As an SE it's cheaper for you to buy a Flex fare and use eUpgrades.
But then, no guarantee until late in the game. Often a cheap Z fare is the best solution. Like a while ago, you could go to Europe from YYC for around $2500.

I reckon when using miles to Europe on AC, you typically get about 1.2 cent/mile. Not great. This based upon pricing by comparison with my Latitude pass.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 6:50 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Originally Posted by tng11
Another reason for the high fees for YYZ-LHR return is the ex-LHR Air Passenger Duty - an extortionate tax imposed by the UK on premium tickets that runs into the hundreds of dollars.

So it's not ALL AC's fault (but mostly is.)

High fuel surcharges aren't new - they've been around for a few years if you choose to fly AC metal. It's a massive deterrent to the masses to actually use their AP points (oh how many times have I heard friends and family complain to me about how high Aeroplan charges are), but there are still many ways to efficiently and cheaply use them.
What is new is that AC is basically doubling the Fuel Surcharges on Reward Business Class seats. I do not know when this started but that is the major cost increase from what I can see. The logic which is not the right word, is that the bigger seat/space should pay more for the fuel surcharges.

Frankly the Fuel Surcharges are a huge revenue scam and basically a fare increase. UA and a few other carriers are not charging these on redemptions of Errorplan tickets but I can get no confirmed availability for my dates on other carriers.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is new is that AC is basically doubling the Fuel Surcharges on Reward Business Class seats. I do not know when this started but that is the major cost increase from what I can see. The logic which is not the right word, is that the bigger seat/space should pay more for the fuel surcharges.
Actually the fuel surcharge is exactly the same on revenue tickets and Aeroplan tickets, except for domestic/NA.

The issue is noty that it's double of anything. The issue is that we now have a co-pay on awards.

Frankly the Fuel Surcharges are a huge revenue scam and basically a fare increase. UA and a few other carriers are not charging these on redemptions of Errorplan tickets but I can get no confirmed availability for my dates on other carriers.
It is indeed a fare component for revenue tickets. For awards it is a co-pay.

Reality is that Aeroplan has significantly devalued the value of the miles. Selling them at 70 cents or so. So what do you expect? Real issue is that AC no longer has a frequent flyer program. And that AC no longer has extra seats to give away which would otherwise go empty. Because AC sells the whole lot, and surely significantly more, for good money, to Aeroscam. Which by now is very likely their largest customer by far.

AA looked at spinning off their FF program. Eventually decided that it was a bad idea. Why?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:30 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Booked 2 tickets using the Aeroplat 2-for-1 shorthaul benefit for 15K for May 2015

YUL-YGR

Airport Taxes, Fees & Surcharges

Fuel Surcharge $54.00
Canada Quebec Sales Tax $12.29
Canada Goods And Service Tax $6.16
Nav Canada - Air Navigation Services $30.00
Canada Domestic/International Airport Improvement Fee $25.00
Canada Domestic/International Air Travel Security Charge $14.25

Total per passenger $141.70

Total passengers 2

Total airport taxes, fees and surcharges (CAD)$283.40

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Sep 13, 2014 at 10:49 pm
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
The fact that YQ is higher on J seats vs Y has been around since the stealth, without any announcement, introduction of partner YQ in 2011.

It was also in place when YQ was charged only on Air Canada metal (since 2004?) - but YQ was small and not that noticeable until the last 4 years or so.

Whereas in 2004, YQ may have been $200 - it is now approaching $1000 on some routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.