Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What ever happened to that top AC customer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What ever happened to that top AC customer?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:53 pm
ALW

I am THE Andrew Webber.

=aw
Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:58 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
he's mr pillows people!!! don't you realize!?!?!?
Old Feb 18, 2006, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Does anyone know what did happen to the lawyer who had the big flight with RM...... ?
Old Feb 18, 2006, 4:22 pm
At Large

Originally Posted by why fly
Does anyone know what did happen to the lawyer who had the big flight with RM...... ?
What big flight......non stop to the moon???
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Toronto Star article on Dan Urbani

Meant to post this sooner, but I forgot the article in the bottom of my computer bag.

On Apr 8, the Toronto Star ran a section called Travel Rewards, and they did an interview with Dan Urbani. The gist of the article is that Mr Urbani is a real life version of George Clooney's Up in the Air movie. I would have included a link to the actual article except a search on "Urbani" on the Star's website found nothing. So here's an excerpt.

<snip>

Even today, Urbani has been the top Aeroplan Super Elite traveler on Air Canada since 1996. The 45 yr old businessman spends a huge amount of time on planes - about 225 flights a year, even though he's "cut back to be with the family more" and last year slashed his annual status miles from 600,000 to 150,000.

Some of these flights are to check up on his 20 pet superstores across Canada, four of them in Ontario, but he really racks up the travel miles visiting his suppliers in Asia, Europe and South America. Business has taken him to Thailand alone 109 times.

<snip>
Anyhow, he's probably cut back on his travel since he filed for bankruptcy protection for his pet food stores, Petcetera, in March 2009.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Anyhow, he's probably cut back on his travel since he filed for bankruptcy protection for his pet food stores, Petcetera, in March 2009.

Back in business as of SEPT 2009: http://www.vancouversun.com/entertai...055/story.html
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I was on a flight with him once. He seemed like a pretty nice guy and was quite nice to the crew.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if there are unpublished benefits for this ultra Super Elite and similar high revenue AC pax.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Onyx (reluctantly), Marriott Titanium, IHG PC Platinum
This was amusing how it played out - Petcetera goes bankrupt, he walks out the back door as it crumbles, then walks back in the front door as "Net Petcetera" buying back the best stores without having to worry about the ton of debt that he had racked up. No wonder he has the money to fly so much if he can just walk out on his debt.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by pkeung
This was amusing how it played out - Petcetera goes bankrupt, he walks out the back door as it crumbles, then walks back in the front door as "Net Petcetera" buying back the best stores without having to worry about the ton of debt that he had racked up. No wonder he has the money to fly so much if he can just walk out on his debt.

Entirely within the rules: http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/b...2284.html#toc1 and done in public and under the supervision of the Court: http://www.pwc.com/ca/en/car/canadia...ip/index.jhtml

What's the problem ?

Last edited by NordsFan; Apr 17, 2010 at 1:28 pm
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NordsFan

What's the problem ?
Crooks have taken over the world.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by pkeung

......Crap

......legal sure, but what about ethics, spirit of the agreement, promise to pay, commitment.... crap system. What ever happened to debtors jail!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Crooks have taken over the world.
That is probably true.

But, are some here saying that the uber-SE guy is a crook and that the failure of HIS business was unseemly, illegal or fraudulent ?

Businesses fail all the time. That is why we have insolvency legislation. @:-)
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NordsFan
That is probably true.

But, are some here saying that the uber-SE guy is a crook and that the failure of HIS business was unseemly, illegal or fraudulent ?

Businesses fail all the time. That is why we have insolvency legislation. @:-)
It's apparently not illegal or fraudulent. But all the same, morally questionable.

If a guy covered in debts can engineer a bankruptcy such that he walks away from the debts, creams up the assets and restarts? However lawful, I would still call that crookery.

At least in bankruptcies such as AC, the shareholders lost their share. But here?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
It's apparently not illegal or fraudulent. But all the same, morally questionable.

If a guy covered in debts can engineer a bankruptcy such that he walks away from the debts, creams up the assets and restarts? However lawful, I would still call that crookery.

At least in bankruptcies such as AC, the shareholders lost their share. But here?
If you truly believe that he "engineered" it, then call the police. Is that what the Court and the Monitor did ?

"Walking away" from debts ? Did anyone here read the Monitor's report and check out the list of creditors, secured and unsecured ?

Does anyone know what personal guaranties or sureties the shareholders of the failed business may have had to honour ?

Sorry guys, get real.

I'm going to go pat a bunny now.

Last edited by NordsFan; Sep 7, 2010 at 8:42 pm Reason: Realized months later that a comma was in the wrong place ! LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.