Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: eUpgrades - both have status whose eCredits is used

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: eUpgrades - both have status whose eCredits is used

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

eUpgrades - both have status whose eCredits is used

Hi All

My girlfriend (E35K) and I (E75K) are planning to take a trip somewhere like Hawaii, Mexico, Cancun, etc. If I purchase the tickets under my Aeroplan number, is she able to use her eUps for her and I use mine for myself? The plan would be to have her piggyback on my status so she is higher on the upgrade list than E35K but uses her own eUps.

Thanks
-Pearson
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
No.

Prior to check-in, the status of whoever uses their upgrades matters.

After check-in, the traveler's status matters.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by zerofighter
Hi All

My girlfriend (E35K) and I (E75K) are planning to take a trip somewhere like Hawaii, Mexico, Cancun, etc. If I purchase the tickets under my Aeroplan number, is she able to use her eUps for her and I use mine for myself? The plan would be to have her piggyback on my status so she is higher on the upgrade list than E35K but uses her own eUps.

Thanks
-Pearson
Rev ticket? You can't book her rev. tickets under your AE number, only yourself. Just book her flight under her number. Your girlfriend can't piggyback your status in any way.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
If you are both on 1 PNR, then you could both use the higher status but ONLY if you both use the higher status's eUPG credits.

or

If you are on separate PNRs but the lower person is a nominee of the higher, then you can both use the higher person's status but again ONLY if you both use the higher person's eUPGs
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: aeroplan 50K
It seems that an agent can apply eups to individual accounts on the same PNR. I once had to phone in to change a flight for myself and spouse. The agent asked me if I wanted the credits to come off of my account or did I want my upgrade from mine and spouse's from hers. I was surprised and the agent said he could do that.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:12 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Yes, for certain anything is possible. E-ups were taken from my account ,on a day when I was not travelling , to a person I did not know. So certainly, agents can do anything.

Oh, and of course , nobody at AC could explain to me how this could possibly happen.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
If you are both on 1 PNR, then you could both use the higher status but ONLY if you both use the higher status's eUPG credits.

or

If you are on separate PNRs but the lower person is a nominee of the higher, then you can both use the higher person's status but again ONLY if you both use the higher person's eUPGs
Eups don't work this way. In fact, it almost works the opposite way you are saying. It actually lower the higher pax status on the upgrade list.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mlbmlb
It seems that an agent can apply eups to individual accounts on the same PNR. I once had to phone in to change a flight for myself and spouse. The agent asked me if I wanted the credits to come off of my account or did I want my upgrade from mine and spouse's from hers. I was surprised and the agent said he could do that.
It has been this way for years.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mlbmlb
This upgrading with a companion, not on the same PNR, on the same PNR, in advance, at the check-in booth at the airport, at the gate, etc., admittedly, has been confusing to me.

What you describe tells me that one can upgrade using someone else's credits in advance, implying that the whole upgrade nominee thing can be circumvented in this regard?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyznomad

What you describe tells me that one can upgrade using someone else's credits in advance, implying that the whole upgrade nominee thing can be circumvented in this regard?
Only on the same PNR and all flights must be the same. There maybe some rules about family only. I have done this many times with my wife. I only do it on lat fares, where you can upgrade at time of booking because the high status pax basically loses the upgrade status.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Eups don't work this way. In fact, it almost works the opposite way you are saying. It actually lower the higher pax status on the upgrade list.
No it doesn't.

Prior to check-in, the priority is based on the status of the person whose upgrade credits are used.

After check-in, each traveler has their own priority based on their own status.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
No it doesn't.

Prior to check-in, the priority is based on the status of the person whose upgrade credits are used.

Not in my experience. I have also talked to AC MM department about this problem many times.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
No it doesn't.

I 100% agree with cow on this one. Prior to check-in, I have been able to waitlist and then upgrade non-nominees when they were booked on the same PNR as me. And they got upgraded at the 7/14 day mark. If what @Wpgjetse says is true (which it's not.....) I wouldn't be able to upgrade them in advance or at least not at the 7/14 day SE window since they wouldn't get the benefit of my status...

Boo!!! #FakeNews Boo!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.