Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:05 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Exactly. I wouldn't buy that for a second. If there are empty seats, the computer has not done it's job. I may get confrontational on FT, but I don't do it with AC. However, put me in this situation, and I'm either sitting in J, or getting removed from the flight.
Any chance the 'empty' seats are occupied by persons who have checked in yet no shows for the flight? No shows, I assume are released at a certain point, but if its an SE MM on paid J, when do you release that seat?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Any chance the 'empty' seats are occupied by persons who have checked in yet no shows for the flight? No shows, I assume are released at a certain point, but if its an SE MM on paid J, when do you release that seat?
At YVR for a flight last year, I arrived a few minutes before the cutoff.
When I got to the gate, the agent was shocked and said that someone else was sitting in my seat. She went to the "in-charge" GA and that GA brushed me off and just said someone might be in my seat but I can simply board and take my seat.

When I got to my assigned seat as stated on my BP, another pax was in it. The pax told me the GA told him that he could take the seat number that I was in. Pax moved back to his assigned seat as per his BP, but I was annoyed that the GAs did that. So my seat wasn't "released", but it seems totally discretionary on what GAs want to do or say... that is my anecdotal experience.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You release them before you close the door. Period.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: 35 K
Yesterday at YVR for AC 212 to YYC the GA came out front and made a very clear announcement that Boarding would start with Zone 1 which is Business class and SE only. The reminded everyone to check their BP for the Zone. Still second person in line was Zone 4 and was turned away, everything else went smooth.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Medhatter
Yesterday at YVR for AC 212 to YYC the GA came out front and made a very clear announcement that Boarding would start with Zone 1 which is Business class and SE only. The reminded everyone to check their BP for the Zone. Still second person in line was Zone 4 and was turned away, everything else went smooth.
Yeah this morning, the person behind me was turned away. I'm glad they're really enforcing this. Hopefully people will learn...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Looks like the growing pains are working.

I've had a couple people get turned back due to not being in Zone 1. I've also seen a couple people told about it, then let through.

So far I've got no issues with the system. I didn't think I would though.

My beef is the signage. I really prefer United's system of dividing the lines. I still find a HUGE number of people get up and stand "in line" when zone 1 is called. I can only assume the same happens for 3/4/5. It's really annoying to stand behind someone for like 3-4 minutes only to then have them say "oh go ahead" and you realize they're lining up for who knows what zone.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You release them before you close the door. Period.
I received a response to my PM. An apology was given without any offer of compensation.

Additionally, it was stated that the agent should have come on board "time permitting" (this was actually bolded in the response) to release seats.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:46 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by YULforever
I received a response to my PM. An apology was given without any offer of compensation.

Additionally, it was stated that the agent should have come on board "time permitting" (this was actually bolded in the response) to release seats.
When you say PM, do you mean here on FT, or an official communication with AC?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
in typical YUL fashion, one GA was enforcing the rules and two more were not.

That and the 20 minute Nexus line was just another day at YUL...

sigh...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Plat, Fairmont Plat
When you say PM, do you mean here on FT, or an official communication with AC?
PM from Ben
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: AC 100KSE
J boarding pass zone 2

Travelling with my SO. We are both on upgraded rouge flex tickets. He has no status, but we had paid for rouge plus for him, prior to the upgrade. We are now both in premium rouge. 2 PNRs
My boarding pass is Zone 1, his is zone 2. It is unclear to me why he is zone 2.
His boarding pass is J, which I thought would bump him to 1. He has no status, so should otherwise be somewhere lower than 2 no?
Any theories on this one?
And we will see if they let him board with zone 1, with me.

Lounge agent explained that only wheelchairs etc and SE are in zone 1. Business class and all other status are in zone 2...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by yyj9
Travelling with my SO. We are both on upgraded rouge flex tickets. He has no status, but we had paid for rouge plus for him, prior to the upgrade. We are now both in premium rouge. 2 PNRs
My boarding pass is Zone 1, his is zone 2. It is unclear to me why he is zone 2.
His boarding pass is J, which I thought would bump him to 1. He has no status, so should otherwise be somewhere lower than 2 no?
Any theories on this one?
And we will see if they let him board with zone 1, with me.

Lounge agent explained that only wheelchairs etc and SE are in zone 1. Business class and all other status are in zone 2...
Based on Air Canada webpage about zoned boarding, that lounge agent was totally wrong.... http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...g-by-zone.html
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100k, AS MVP Gold, National EE, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Flying YVR-YYC earlier today and they called zone 1. I noticed quite a few zone 2s in the queue as the GA told they they had called zone 1 but they were in fact zone 2. They were allowed to board anyways and said they just recently starting doing this... So much for A January implementation for zoned boarding. It is still new for the GAs?!?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YULforever
PM from Ben
That was nice of Ben to respond (which Ben?)

Did the response also include some wording around "enforcement" going forward... or just oh well too bad sorry it happened...
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyj9
You got misled by another misleading agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.