Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Concur partners with Air Canada to account for ‘rogue travellers’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concur partners with Air Canada to account for ‘rogue travellers’

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Based on the profit of a Flex fare vs the profit of a tango fare they would probably have to increase their number of booked flights by 5x to account for the drop in fare bucket.

I will admit that is possible! But I would also argue that selling 5x more flights to companies based only on this change would also be unlikely.
Right. I guess I was saying (in a roundabout way) that maybe this move will bring *new* business to AC. But yeah, AC should prefer Flex fliers to Tango ones, of course.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Yes! But what I was suggesting is that it has been announced by that AC is partnering with Concur to make this change. By doing this, the employees who got around their companies travel policies by booking directly will now no longer be able to do so. This will result in either a) entirely lost fares to AC or b) lost higher flex fares to AC.

In either case, AC will make less money because the flyers will no longer be able to get around their company policies. Hence this is something AC probably shouldn't be helping Concur with.
I so agree. I find z fares are always the same (never bothered to ask why since i don't care) but other classes with AC are always a discount in our company's concur site to the main AC site....ALWAYS. That said, we use concur cuz our policy says dont book via it and we won't reimburse you.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:56 pm

I'm interested in seeing how they do this. Handing data over to Concur without permission of the traveler is a pretty clear violation of both AC's privacy policy and Canadian privacy law.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This all seems to be a bit of a roundabout way to achieve compliance. We require our people to book through Concur or through the corporate TA who uses Concur. Travel booked otherwise isn't reimbursed without significant justification.

Concur itself does not limit what a traveler can book. It simply implements rules set by the employer.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
We'll see how this goes. AC's IT is among the worst I've ever seen. They promised the ability to select seats for bookings through other carriers was coming something like 2 summers ago. I still can't select seats without calling. This seems infinitely harder than seat selection.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
I expect AC is being forced to do this as companies want to ensure lowest fare is being booked. I am amazed at how many are trying to get around corporate policies. Risky in my opinion.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase
I expect AC is being forced to do this as companies want to ensure lowest fare is being booked. I am amazed at how many are trying to get around corporate policies. Risky in my opinion.
or is it that there is some sort of kick back scheme they have with AC? for example, they get rebates so much $$$ spend on AC? if something is booked directly, perhaps that does not factor into the yearly spend.

or perhaps companies get larger discounts if they spend more on AC, which is why they want to make sure all of it is captured.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mkjr
or is it that there is some sort of kick back scheme they have with AC? for example, they get rebates so much $$$ spend on AC? if something is booked directly, perhaps that does not factor into the yearly spend.

or perhaps companies get larger discounts if they spend more on AC, which is why they want to make sure all of it is captured.
Yes they get kickbacks. Also, if I book through concur it does show the name of my employer on the AC receipt. So it definitely captures it

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Oct 30, 2014 at 1:49 pm
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
I've seen the daily, monthly, quarterly and annual reports that my company gets from our TA (we also use Concur). The detail in the daily report is extensive. Specific to each individual person - routing, dates, airline, fare, ticket numbers, lower cost airline & fare, justification for lowest fare not chosen and whatever custom fields have been requested.

Monthly/quarterly/annual are summarized spends by airline, savings lost by not choosing lowest fare, and yes, kickbacks.

Wouldn't want to see any of my personal travel show up in that ...
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
deleted

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Jan 10, 2016 at 2:25 pm
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I hope whoever makes Concur goes bankrupt.
Unlikely
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mkjr

This is definitionally not a kickback. It is a rebate or a discount. A kickback occurs when some travel manager gets a payment of 10% of the ticket value from AC. A rebate or discount is the situation where the entity paying for the ticket, pays less or gets part of the ticket cost back based on volume.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Originally Posted by ffsim
Unless corporations will be more likely to sign deals with AC because they know their employees will be booking the lowest fares.
I'm sure AC would like exclusive deals to prevent the loss of any business travel market share to WS or PD.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
My husband has to book all corporate travel through a specific agency - and has to fly AC if flights are available. And, yes, the company receives an annual rebate.

All personal travel is booked by me - never through the company travel agency.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:10 pm

Upon a weeks worth of reflection, I am really glad AC announced this now before I start my 2015 flying.

I'm currently SE 100K, but did not fly the 1st 8 months of year have only been back to flying steady the last 4 months so will finish in 40K-45K range.

In addition my company just put my division on Concur and issued shiny new Amex Corp cards.( I just booked what ever I wanted within reason before ) After digging into new rules seems I can book Tango, Flex or Latitude on the Concur system. But of course company "suggests" buy best price ( even if not refundable as long as credit can be used ) but schedule/routing/change fees should be in line with my needs. In addition any flight over 6 hours business class is allowed.

So big picture based on my 2015 schedule I can use AC, get full miles and get back to SE 100K by mid to later in the year.( with Personal flying included which is mostly Europe or SE Asia)

What AC changes have done is make me take a very hard look if there is any value in having status with them.

I still can't find something in the package that is must have/want to be 100K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.