Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Concur partners with Air Canada to account for ‘rogue travellers’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.itbusiness.ca/news/concur...avellers/51864

Many office accountants are familiar with the ‘rogue travellers’ in their company – those who refuse to follow corporate-mandated processes for booking travel and instead just log on to the airline’s website to book tickets directly.

When that happens, any efforts to land a lower, negotiated rate with the air line are for not. Plus, the expenses don’t get logged until when they show up on the company credit card or an employee files a reimbursement claim. So now Bellevue, Wash.-based Concur is working with Air Canada to connect its cloud-based TripLink software with Air Canada’s website in order to capture details about travel arrangements as soon as they’re made.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question being, will these "rogue" bookings end up being accounted for in the corporate deal? Is that the objective?

Which is an issue my company (which lets me make my own reservations) has been struggling forever BTW.

Else, what's the point if the company would pay the expenses anyway? They cannot just not allow the employee to make a reservation on his own...
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
deleted

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Jan 10, 2016 at 2:25 pm
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Doesn't seem that bad. You still get control over your own booking. How is this captured though? Through your Aeroplan number? Certainly wouldn't want my personal travel being captured as well.

Concur TripLink will be updated next year so that users can authenticate their Concur account with AirCanada.com. Once that is done, future business travel booking done by that user on Air Canada’s website will automatically be logged by Concur. Corporate-negotiated rates will apply, expenses will be automatically captured, and the traveller still has control over the booking.

Last edited by yvr76; Oct 29, 2014 at 2:39 pm
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yvr76
Doesn't seem that bad. You still get control over your own booking. How is this capture though? Through your Aeroplan number? Certainly wouldn't want my personal travel being captured as well.
I've had personal trips logged in TripIt show up in Concur because I linked them at some point.

I don't really mind, but it means I have to go in and delete the entries every now and then.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tcook052
When that happens, any efforts to land a lower, negotiated rate with the air line are for not.
*facepalm*

It's "airline" and "all for naught." Am I the only one who doesn't take 'publications' seriously when they can't write properly?

Anyway, back OT, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. When I worked for a multinational, I was always petrified of falling afoul of some obscure travel policy requirement and not being reimbursed for corporate travel. I'd have loved to have some system go through my airfare and hotel bookings before I submitted an expense report that might've been rejected.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
rogue travellers. Not to confused with rouge travellers.

Hopefully the posters that think they're clever by referring to rouge as rogue will reconsider.

After all, it is now possible to have a rogue, rouge traveller.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by yvr76
rogue travellers. Not to confused with rouge travellers.

Hopefully the posters that think they're clever by referring to rouge as rogue will reconsider.

After all, it is now possible to have a rogue, rouge traveller.
I opened the thread because I thought it had something to do with corporate policies and Rouge flights! I spend too much time here.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Which would imply that AC could actually provide all of a traveller's bookings in a single location. Which currently they can't. Just try using the "My Bookings" link on the AC website. AE books are separate. FP bookings are separate. Particularly problematic for this is that corporate travel agent bookings (including bookings through Concur) don't appear there. So unless that gets fixed the whole thing is doomed to fail.

Having said that, I am sure the stated logic is true. This is invariably the reasoning explained whenever we get the generic "please comply with travel policy" emails--we can't get a good deal if we can't capture your travel.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I wonder if AC realizes that many corporate flies book directly because concur won't let them book fares because either a) it's not the cheapest and b) company policy forces them to book flex instead of tango.

By AC closing this loophole with concur they might be shooting themselves in the foot with selling fares and higher fares.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:03 pm

And while I don't use Concur anymore (I used to) I also second those people who would not want their personal travel visible to their company.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I wonder if AC realizes that many corporate flies book directly because concur won't let them book fares because either a) it's not the cheapest and b) company policy forces them to book flex instead of tango.

By AC closing this loophole with concur they might be shooting themselves in the foot with selling fares and higher fares.
That would be the company's problem though, not Concur. Concur is fully customisable and can offer whatever fares the company chooses to allow. The way Concur has been set up for us is for AC, when you click on 'View More Fares' we get all options available (for example, we would see Flex (G), Flex (W), Flex (V), Flex (Q) etc.) and can then pick one.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by D582
That would be the company's problem though, not Concur. Concur is fully customisable and can offer whatever fares the company chooses to allow. The way Concur has been set up for us is for AC, when you click on 'View More Fares' we get all options available (for example, we would see Flex (G), Flex (W), Flex (V), Flex (Q) etc.) and can then pick one.
Yes! But what I was suggesting is that it has been announced by that AC is partnering with Concur to make this change. By doing this, the employees who got around their companies travel policies by booking directly will now no longer be able to do so. This will result in either a) entirely lost fares to AC or b) lost higher flex fares to AC.

In either case, AC will make less money because the flyers will no longer be able to get around their company policies. Hence this is something AC probably shouldn't be helping Concur with.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Hence this is something AC probably shouldn't be helping Concur with.
Unless corporations will be more likely to sign deals with AC because they know their employees will be booking the lowest fares.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
Unless corporations will be more likely to sign deals with AC because they know their employees will be booking the lowest fares.
Based on the profit of a Flex fare vs the profit of a tango fare they would probably have to increase their number of booked flights by 5x to account for the drop in fare bucket.

I will admit that is possible! But I would also argue that selling 5x more flights to companies based only on this change would also be unlikely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.