Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Official AC Representative Q&A Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jasper2009
Dear AC forum members,

We're sure most of you have been following New AC Presence on FT which has received a huge amount of responses.

In order to better manage the discussion and to ensure the AC representatives have a chance to read and reply to all the comments and questions, we've decided to slightly modify the format of the discussion:

(1) The core purpose of this thread is to allow a dialogue between FTers and AC management. As in the previous thread you may ask questions and provide feedback to AC management and the AC representatives will do their best to reply to the feedback/questions posted.
(2) FTers are welcome to reply to any of the AC representatives' posts.
(3) We kindly ask that FTers refrain from replying to other FTers' posts. The goal is to have a more streamlined Q&A thread.
(4) If you have any suggestions regarding this thread, kindly contact any of the moderators via PM or send a message using the RBP button.
(5) Should you not have received a reply to a question raised in the previous AC presence thread, you may re-post it in the new thread.

Thanks for your cooperation.

And, by multiple requests from forum members, this thread is now a sticky!

Air Canada forum moderators
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
One should always be comparing the final prices in order to get a true apples-to-apples basis when shopping for fares across airlines.
This goes without saying. However, the split between YQ and base fares affects many other things, like discount codes and award redemptions. This is where the use of YQ amounts to deceptive advertising - that 15% discount code turns into 3% on final prices, and your "free flight" is actually close to $1000. But you also knew that.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:51 pm
Suspended

I don't think we're self-congratulating anything - we are well aware of our shortfalls, whether or not you see us referencing them on here, and are doing what we can to address them.

This is actually a fair point, I grant you that. Times have changed and so have fare constructions. YQ was once purely based on the fuel spiking, and now has become just another fare component (which is why so many governments, ours included, have mandated that fares be all-inclusive - and rightfully so, IMHO). The reason it's broken out on us is the same reason it's broken out on so many other carriers: when we sell tickets through the GDS (travel agents, etc.) carriers are listed based on base price only, surcharges aren't included. If we were to absorb YQ into our base prices, we would be hugely uncompetitive. One should always be comparing the final prices in order to get a true apples-to-apples basis when shopping for fares across airlines.

I've had a mix of good and bad, but I agree things can be better. As I mentioned above, we are working on ways to fix this, among other things Also there are seat covers on the new J seats (787 spec).
appreciate your answers...
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:17 pm
Flying Blue Director

Just wanted to comment on a few suggestions I've seen thus far (on here and in the Suggestion Box) that ask for int'l J pax to have easier access to Concierge:

The mandate for Concierges is to assist int'l J pax in the same way they would assist SEs, and we have sent a reminder to them after a few of you on here mentioned they weren't exactly willing to do this. That said, I just confirmed with Ben S that the spec for int'l J pax is to have the same level of service as SEs, except for being able to contact them in advance (i.e. phone numbers). This is an aspect of the service we will continue to reserve for our SE pax only, and it's not something we plan on changing in the near future.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just wanted to comment on a few suggestions I've seen thus far (on here and in the Suggestion Box) that ask for int'l J pax to have easier access to Concierge:

The mandate for Concierges is to assist int'l J pax in the same way they would assist SEs, and we have sent a reminder to them after a few of you on here mentioned they weren't exactly willing to do this. That said, I just confirmed with Ben S that the spec for int'l J pax is to have the same level of service as SEs, except for being able to contact them in advance (i.e. phone numbers). This is an aspect of the service we will continue to reserve for our SE pax only, and it's not something we plan on changing in the near future.
Thank you.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:20 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
Hi Bens

I posted a comment on Sunday in the North American Meal thread, but it might be easier to ask the question here. On Sunday, flying YOW-YYZ RT, catering in J consisted of a fruit plate with warm croissant and yogourt for breakfast and the cheese plate was back as the snack. I asked the SD on one of the flight who said that AC has just implemented this change so that they have enough time to cater to the needs of Y passengers. Also, less important as most of us have our own but no headsets were offered on either flights.

Is this change permanent? Is this route specific? (Rapidair) or does it apply to all short-haul (less than 1h59)

Thanks
It's a permanent change only on the YYZ/YOW route. AM changed to Continental breakfast and PM changed to cold snack plate so it can be delivered consistently within the short flying time with the amount of crew we have onboard - still a very good meal considering flying time is often under 40 minutes so useful service time is under 20 minutes. I'll update the other meal thread to reflect this.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:38 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

Andrew

Thanks for confirming the change in catering on Rapid air flights. Disappointing but under stable given the new FA/pax ratios. Given that this is not really filling, any thoughts on catering extra pastries - don't really have time to use the lounge on those 6am flights to fill up!!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:57 am

To the Bens and Andrew,

This morning I needed to cancel a reservation for next week. It was for a fully refundable J-class ticket from the US to YUL that was made and paid for online about 2weeks ago. After sitting on the AC toll free number for 15 minutes I managed to find and use the out of Canada/US phone number to do the cancellation and recieved very quick and efficient service. At the end of the conversation I asked the agent to confirm that the refund would be credited back to my credit-card...it was only then, when I asked about the refund, that I was informed that I would have to either 1) send an email to Air Canada requesting the refund or 2) call the Canadian office of Air Canada to request the refund.....and we all know how long one can sit on the phone waiting for an agent! Now for the best part...since I now assume nothing when it comes to Air Canada I asked the agent for the email address to get my refund.....imagine my surprise when it wasn't a simple head-office email but a...wait for it...... [email protected] address! .mex???? Really!?

My problems with this whole episode are:
#1) the agent should have, at the very least, pro-actively asked me if I wanted the ticket price applied back to my credit-card or towards a future travel credit, not wait for me to ask for it.

#2) once I told the agent that I wanted the refund credited back to my card she should have been able to do so simply on her computer. I, the client, should not have to jump through additional hoops such as having to email or phone in the refund request...failing that, she should have been proactive in giving me the the email address instead of my having to ask, especially since the address is so not obvious.

The whole situation is sneaky and deceitful. I, fortunately, knew to ask the 2 key questions I did, to confirm the refund, only because I lost a refund last year because I just assumed that that it would be automatic upon cancellation of the flight. I particularily find having to send an email to a support.mex address very sneaky considering the ticket was booked through the main Air Canada site , from within Canada and paid for using a Canadian credit-card!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Hey Ben,

What's the rule for serving alcohol? Is it similar/the same as smart serve in restaurants? Is there an intentional (seemingly) discrepancy between mainline/express when it comes to serving booze? I have had good success getting 4 g + t's at one shot on mainline but never can get served more than 2 at a time on express.

Not sure if you can chime in on this..

Thank you!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: CX*G, AF*G; BA, UA
I'm looking into this.
Hey Ben, any news? Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:26 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by zinneken
Hey Ben, any news? Thanks!
Check your PMs
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:28 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Hey Ben

1) Are you able to share why Iced Tea is not offered on board? Is it a cost reason and can AC take a look into offering my favorite non alcoholic beverage?
2) Are special meal requests the same in Y as in J. Aka if I order a NLML in Y on an intl' flight, is it the same entree that i'll get in J?

Thanks!
1) Not sure it's intentional, but I believe the contract is with Coke so get a selection of their beverages. I'm sure Andrew will take note of the requests for iced tea!

2) No, they are different meals. The J ones are (should be) more elaborate and fitting for a J cabin.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:29 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Ben and Ben

I've tried to resolve this via phone with the SE desk, but no luck.

I have a flight pass, with 1 available credit. I can't book on it though, as it gives a system error.

The 1 available credit is from a flight booking that I cancelled. Normally, the credit goes back in the wallet on cancellation. But I've learned that when the credit shows and you can't book, that someone needs to do some 'magic' to put it back; AC SE desk usually puts me through to the "web team." There seems to be two steps to get the credit back.

In this case, they can't seem to help, but since this was from an Aug/Sept booking they seem confused as to what to do.

I have the flight pass number, screen shots, etc. Can you help?
Can you PM me?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:33 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by Simon
Ben, I'm going to re-ask what I posted above.

What is with YYZ-YOW always going out of D26/D28 (furthest away gates) when purportedly RapidAir? One of the original premises here was that RapidAir was fast on/off near security. These are super-far-away gates.
Heard back - We have a protocol (and audit frequently) for gating of RapidAir flights on preferred gates. It is generally followed however there are times when gates are out of service due to construction, maintenance, etc., but I heard that 80-90% of the time (with a high degree of confidence) we are compliant. It is, unfortunately, impossible to gate these flights on our preferred gates 100% due to the aforementioned reasons, and the fact that at certain peak times of day the D pier is at 100% capacity....all that to say these flights shouldn't always be at D26/D28.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
1) Not sure it's intentional, but I believe the contract is with Coke so get a selection of their beverages. I'm sure Andrew will take note of the requests for iced tea!

2) No, they are different meals. The J ones are (should be) more elaborate and fitting for a J cabin.
Bear in mind also that there is a finite amount of stowage space on board both within the bar trolleys and in supplemental units. Bar assembly is standard worldwide and adding one item would come at the expense of another. Over the years we've tweaked the beverage offerings, and while Iced Tea is my personal (and only) soft drink of choice, I don't think I've been asked for it 3 times in the last year - much to my surprise. We carried Diet Sprite and Diet Ginger Ale for years which were removed because of negligible consumption. Ginger Ale and Club Soda have increased in popularity and as a result Sprite was reduced by a couple of cans/units
accordingly. We used to board Gin & Tonic units on flights to the UK, but over time, drinking habits have changed and they are no longer required. It's never a perfect science, but the current offering and ratios are pretty close to meet demand. Still...I'd love to see Arizona or Snapple
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:46 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
Andrew

Thanks for confirming the change in catering on Rapid air flights. Disappointing but under stable given the new FA/pax ratios. Given that this is not really filling, any thoughts on catering extra pastries - don't really have time to use the lounge on those 6am flights to fill up!!
There should be enough croissants for seconds at the beginning so please feel free to ask the crew for another one as we always ask crew to offer seconds; we'll adjust the ratios to increase if needed as it's still a relatively new service so some changes might be needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.